Daron's 74 GTV rebuild thread - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Daron's 74 GTV rebuild thread

Well I have finally dug into my 74 after 2 years of thinking about it. I was planning on just fixing and driving but there was just too much wrong and my theory is the "fixing and driving" method becomes much more work than just doing it all once.

I had wanted to get to enjoy it a little before it came all apart but the horrendous oil leaks, low compression and general poor condition made it apparant after a few drives to work that this was not as a Alfa should be.

I am have been a Porsche guy for the last 20 years. Before that a very poor 76 Alfetta GT and before that I learned to drive in mom's Alfasud.

So the Alfa learning curve begins. The BB has been a great source of knowledge and maybe I can give back a little.

I bought this car from a collector freind who got it from the original owner who lived on California coast. My freind just stored it but time has not been kind, a very crispy interior, a bad respray that now looks like a saharan mud flat. I have an inch of repair receipts and the original bill of sale from the dealer but this car has all the usual rust and problems.

My plans are a nice 80% stock GTV for general fun, occasional track days and a occasional autocross. Driveability is a must, I dont need another firebreather. I have already sourced a Twin Spark from a Bay Area BB member and picked up a header from Jim Steck. I will probably use the Motronic setup. Don't fear the Spica motor will be stored nicely for the future.

My seat cover kit just arrived from Classic Alfa, what incredible customer service and it appears to be a top notch product.

I just dropped the transmission and driveshaft. Motor soon to follow. After I removed the starter a big chunk of bell housing fell on the floor. Another BB member in Calif has already offered a replacement at a great price.

BTW i will never try to pull the engine and tranny as seperate units ever again.

I am a dad of 4 and 6 years boys so updates may be periodic from time to time.

So here we go....
Attached Images

74 GTV (red) (rusty) (fun)
67 Super (white) (also rusty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
The car doesn't look that bad from here. The Ronal wheels are a different look for sure. Oh yeah, nice 914.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Admin
Administrator

Daron,

If the end product turns out anything like that 914 in the background I'm sure it will be a head turner!!

Consider me subscribed.

Simon Mestas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smestas View Post
Daron,

If the end product turns out anything like that 914 in the background I'm sure it will be a head turner!!

Consider me subscribed.
Just posted on my thread making a statement that maybe some of you boys are Porsche fans and then I pulled up this thread......tooooooo funny, good luck on the project and have fun.

T
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

more pix

thanks for the replies!

The 914-6 was finished about 6 years ago so its time to disassemble another greasy car and get the wire wheel spinning!

Will I am not sure the wheels will stay. I would much rather put some GTA replicas on but these came up local on Craiglist for very cheap and they are like brand new. So will try em for a while. Will I think I met you at Sears Point about a year ago. I was driving the 914-6.

So engine came out tonight. Before I took out the steering crossbar I had the wife move the steering wheel while i looked at the steering box and all the ball joints. One moves about 1/4 inch up and down. I guess I will be replacing all those anyway. Also a very squishy driver side motor mount.

Can anyone tell in the pix below if I have the later or early bell housing? I have to replace it due to the starter damage.
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Daron,
I think we did meet at the autoX school put on by Trekkor. Your 914 is beautiful. Good luck with the GTV.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Looks like the "closed" end bellhousing without the shift rods sticking through. I'm not an expert there so I hope some confirms.
What the heck is that motormount? Not stock. Never seen one of those. Looks like a Volvo/Giulietta style rubber on it.

Andrew
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx9146 View Post
thanks for the replies!

Can anyone tell in the pix below if I have the later or early bell housing? I have to replace it due to the starter damage.
I did not realise there were 2 types of bell housings for 2 l ?!?! Is that what you are asking?
I believe that you need 2l bell housing as 1750 or earlier does not fit quite right on 2l engine.

Branko Gjuro Turk
1968 (105.59), 1968 (105.31), 1970 (105.31), 1970 (105.31), 1970 (105.45)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Progress at last

Finally some movement with my project. Kids, work and coaching comp soccer eats up the free time.

Car just returned from stripping. American Stripping in Sacramento did a excellent abeit pricey work.

More rust revealed to be repaired. For a California car it sure has a lot or corrosion damage that could probably all be avoided had the car been stored indoors. It did live near the coast for a while.

Probably over 50 rust/weld repairs areas. I just take it one piece at a time and tell me self its a journey.
Attached Images

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Just a few of the problems areas...

See some of the problem areas and repairs... the normal stuff I suppose
Attached Images

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

more scary pix

more rust repair
Attached Images

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

and more!

Believe it or not there are plenty more spots..
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

These cars rusted everywhere (in both senses). My Super has spent its entire life in the Bay Area and I've had to do a fair amount of rust fixes, now into third generation. It lives outside. Even my new 69 Berlina, always lived inside, had rusty doors and floors in the 80s.
Andrew

Tags
105, gtv, rebuild, twin spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode