gta door handle conversion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

gta door handle conversion

Anyone have details and pictures of how to convert standard GTV to GTA type door handles with loops and push button? Parts are available through alfaholics and interested in the coversion but wondering how door is prepped and mechanism is hooked up.

Do most people patch the door skin whole where handle was or replace entire door skin with fibre or something else?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Do a search, it has been posted before, there are pictures and dimentions on the GTA forum.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok after about two hours of searching I am still empty handed. I found two post where people have asked similar questions and gotten no response or the same response as above "it has been posted just search."

Anyone have a link or details and pics of how this conversion is done?

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM

It is fairly straight forward once you remove the existing handle & fill the holes, the hardest part is welding in the pieces of metal to fill the existing handle & key holes (and then repainting the doors/car). Somewhere on this board are the measurements on where to place the GTA button and door pull... I can't seem to find my template right now.... The button lines up with the door latch release tab on the inside and no real mods are needed.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Garage
Contact Max, if you're buying the bits from us he's quite happy to tell you how to fit them. I'm pretty sure he has a template for the new holes you'll need too!

Here's his email address

[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. That is what I was thinking after hearing there is a template. Sure max can send details and template with the parts. Thank you

j
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctouring#7 View Post
It is fairly straight forward once you remove the existing handle & fill the holes, the hardest part is welding in the pieces of metal to fill the existing handle & key holes (and then repainting the doors/car). Somewhere on this board are the measurements on where to place the GTA button and door pull... I can't seem to find my template right now.... The button lines up with the door latch release tab on the inside and no real mods are needed.

Regarding the release latch... That is in a horizontal position in the original set-up, thus you can never reach it with the GTA push button, correct?

In my opinion you would have to change the angle of the latch almost 90 degrees so it is in line with the button. That way the latch position also "dictates" the position of the button.

The latch position can be changed very easily by filing off the top of the little pin that holds it in position (somewhere halfway), then lift it just a little with a flat screwdriver so you can move it. Align it with the doorskin. mark, and weld.

It took me about 2 hours from figuring out how to do it to completion.

(have to admit my doors are polyester, so easy drilling/filing to fit the push button.)

I had never seen how it was done for "real" so to say, but this seemed to make the most sense. If anyone could tell me how it HAD to be done I'd be real glad.

I do have pictures from my set up that I would love to share, but I do not have a photobucket or so at this point, so if anyone would post my pics please let me know and I'll mail them.

Kind regards,

JC
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

With photos???

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

It Worked

I hope these pics make it more clear.
@ Mound Dawg: If you look close you'll recognise your sliding window kit. I guess it was one of the first shipped...

JC

Last edited by JCDK; 01-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM

I know the drawing is on here somewhere, I''ve got a copy at home, will post it up tonight.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Found it!
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/177601-post16.html

Bunch of bikes too.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_strega_nera View Post
Hi la_strega_nera,

You wouldn't happen to know the spacing between the two holes for the door pull loop would you?

Regards,

Nick

Now: 1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Restoration Completed 2016
Previously: 1974 Alfasud TI - first car
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh1964 View Post
Hi la_strega_nera,

You wouldn't happen to know the spacing between the two holes for the door pull loop would you?

Regards,

Nick
Nope. Buy a set and measure?

Bunch of bikes too.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

button installation, mix and match

To reach the opening mechanism and to provide plenty of contact area, I remember welding a small tab (5/8 in?) at a right angle to the inside end of the button.
What I wasn't able to incorporate was the rod that runs between the inside door handle and the door lock device, on the passenger side. Maybe I missed something, but I think (this was seven years ago) that rod tied to workings of the pot metal handle that was removed. Anyway, some day I'll replace the non-locking passenger side button with a locking one.
My '71 GTV had to have paint, so the time was right to fill in the original handle openings and re-drill. I also stepped down to smaller tail lights, as on a '69. That meant a back-up light opening below the bumper.
Richard
Colorado
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 PM

How about the diameter size of handle loop? And could you give me a drawing of handle loop?

Regard,

Jesse Chan

Tags
door handle, gta, gtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode