Help w/'69 GTV History - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Help w/'69 GTV History

I'd like some help with a car's history if possible.

I purchased a US Spec '69 GTV 1750 in the Spring of 2006 from California then had it transported to South Carolina. It was kind of a brokered deal and the seller was reluctant to provide any details of the car's history other than that the real owner was a busy pilot. The car came from somewhere near Concorde, CA. The details I received from Archivio Storico are below. It came with a 1750 engine coupled to a later model SPICA. If anyone can provide details on the car, I'd be very grateful. Knowing a car's history makes ownership even more special. Pictures provided as well.

Chassis #: AR 1530508
Model: 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51)
Manufactured: June 19, 1969
Sold: June 20, 1969 to Alfa Romeo Newark, U.S.A.
Body: "Ocra" yellow (AR 109)
Interior: black skai
Attached Images

Dale Thomas - 1969 1750 GTV
Summerville, South Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice car! I have 1530444 - 64 cars apart. Did you check the GTV register to see if it was listed?

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not previously checked the GTV Register. Since reading your reply, I've tried to locate it, but have been unsuccessful in getting anything to come up. Are you referring to "The Electronic GTV Register" on Geocities? If so, it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Dale:

Here is the Registry: Vintage Alfa Romeo Registry - Google Docs

I didn't see your car listed so be sure to add it. Patrick Hung is doing a great job maintaining it.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Rich,

Thanks for the info and link. I made a submission this evening. I'm still hoping someone knows this car and some previous owners.

Back in 2003, I sold a nice little 1973 GTV. In the glove box was a doctor's picture ID, such as one worn in a hospital. The ID belonged to the first owner. The car had every receipt since new, plus the original window sticker framed. I was the fourth owner. I had contact info on all previous owners. I occasionally spoke with two of them. We exchanged technical tidbits and an occasional picture. Pride of ownership was very high. This contact and sharing made the ownership of this car very special.

If I can find previous owners of this car, it'd be great, but if I can't, which is likely, I'll just continue on and enjoy her nonetheless.

Thanks for your help!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Hey Dale,

Good to speak to you on the phone the other night. It's also good to see "The Chicken" again. Looks like the owner after me put on different (and better) wheels, and began to address the rust at the rocker panel. I see that the interior wood trim is still a work in progress (see my previous posts). Hopefully the rest of the badges and trim came with the car. Glad to hear the hole in the passenger floor pan was repaired. The car always ran like a top, and those who worked on it always commented on how clean it was. If I could dedicate the time it needs, I'd certainly still have it in my garage.

As for history, the file folder I mentioned had a lot of the repair history, including bills of sale. Hopefully you can find it. I forget the name of the fella I bought it from, but contact alfarestore on the BB. The car belonged to a friend of his.

Some tidbits:

You probably noticed, but the rear license plate is fake. My wife had it made in Germany, shipped to her mother in Oregon, then smuggled into California as a replica for the beat-up original. I think the real plate went to the owner after me.

Up underneath the car, attached somewhere near the transmission, is a Chinese good luck charm. I'd leave it there if I were you.

I don't know if they would keep records, but Glen Oliveria at Oliveria Engineering in Berkeley worked on the car. Glen might remember us (Heather and Evan). Barber's Shop in Sacramento, CA also did a lot of work on it. Both were excellent shops and took good care of the car.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. I always thought of it as a solid daily driver. I just loved driving it. Someday I'll have an Alfa again...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Evan,

Thanks for posting directly to the thread. I'll try and keep in touch and shoot an occasional picture your way if you like. I'll contact "alfarestore" for more info. Do you recall the date you bought it or thereabouts?? Thanks again.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM

I want to say 2001 or 2002, but I can't remember exactly.

**** you, Dale. I've been youTubing GTV's all evening. The wife is giving the me stink-eye. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode