oil pressure sender for early veglia gt - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

oil pressure sender for early veglia gt

Hi guys
for anyone with the older style 105 GT dashboard (the delightfully nasty plastic wood grain) as in 1300/1600 with the veglia gauges (oil pressure and fuel level together and water temp and oil temp together) I had trouble getting a new oil pressure sender as mine was stuffed. My local alfa parts dealer sent me a newer style on for later cars which is not compatible.

I did some bench testing of these gauges and can tell you all that the
oil pressure gauge goes from 0-110psi and requires 10-90 hms respectively. Good news is that VDO make a sender part number 360.008 which is 0-800kpa (which is 116psi) and goes from 0-90 ohms - and the thread is right for the block so no adaptor required - brilliant. and only 40AUD as opposed to 100AUD for the wrong alfa one.

For those interested the
fuel gauge works on
0 ohms empty
90 ohms full

the water temp gauge is (these temps are marked on gauge not randomly chosen)
100defF 820ohms
170degF 220 ohm
250degF 80 ohm

the oil temp gauge
120degF 2000ohm
190 degF 112ohm
260degF 5 ohm.

it seems odd that the water and oil teep gauge are so different. Can anyone confirm these figures on their gauges.

also all of these gauges are independent of voltage 11.5-14.5 so an external regulator is not required as per british smiths style electrical gauges

enjoy

andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Andrew:

This is a great posting - thank you for publishing your research!

I delved into this a few months ago, when I was building my '66 Sprint GT with a 2 liter conversion. I naively kept the later oil pressure sender in the 2 liter block (hey, it looked like the 1600 sender), and was puzzled why the oil pressure gauge wouldn't work. A lot of fooling around with multiple oil pressure gauges and senders taught me that the early 105 gauges work in the opposite manner as the later gauges; that is, on the early gauges low resistance in the sender produces low pressure readings, high resistance = high pressure. The later gauges & senders reverse this relationship.

I got my gauge working properly by locating an early sending unit - it never occured to me that VDO might sell a new sender with the right characteristics.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 AM

I just found a first series gt 1300 engine, with oil temp sender on the filter support: it looks exactlylike the water temp one. That sound logical also because temperatures measured are very similar, so why using different senders? I think that the instruments themselves are the same - just have sligtly different scales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I know. Given the oil pressure and fuel levelwork on the same resistance from 0 to full scale I was surpried that 1 - the temperature gauges work on adifferent resistance to the petrol and oil pressure and 2 that the oil temp and water temp resistances are different

However when I checked the resistance/ temperature curves for several of the senders I had the oil temp sender had a much higher resistance and was more appropriate for the oil temp gauge. I havent had a chance to test it in the car as I have a later style motor with the front engine casting mounted screw on oil filter not the earlier 105 style filter head mounted off the block. The water temp sender I have fitted to the manifold seems to work well and the gauge reads about 160-170F when warm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
Hi Andrew,

just a quick note to say thanks for posting your research on this - I'm reinvigorating a '66 Super here in Melb - and have obviously mated the early veglia gauge with a later veglia sender - the oil pressure gauge pegs as soon as you apply power.

I'll see if I can chase up an earlier sender from Milano's to sort it - do you know if they're marked in any way to make them easy to differentiate ?

Cheers,

Scott Murray
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon -- brilliant car for the daily, kids taxi and parts hauling

in officina -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 -- TwinSpark+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

che figata -

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Garage
Centerline lists a sending unit for the early oil pressure Veglia gauge. A different part number than 71 - up.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
Thanks HL - much appreciated !

Scott Murray
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon -- brilliant car for the daily, kids taxi and parts hauling

in officina -

'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 -- TwinSpark+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710

che figata -

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlegs32 View Post
Centerline lists a sending unit for the early oil pressure Veglia gauge. A different part number than 71 - up.
Yup. We've had spotty availability for a long time but now we have good stock and a solid supply.
Attached Images

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

750-ALFA
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Bumping this with a question. Because of lack of confirmed answers I am asking this again.

What are the thread types and sizes of the two oil ports on a 2L block? The one near the starter and near the alternator. Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlegs32 View Post
The reason Centernational or whatever they are now lists separate gauges is that several of us ran into oil temp sender questions a decade ago after being sold the wrong parts both companies insisted were correct. It took a lot of arguing to convince the experts that Veglia gauges are not compatible with newer senders.

This is all in ancient AlfaBB posts, not that they are easily found. It would be incredibly helpful if a software programmer type figured out how to make searching this forum's old posts easier.

I've given up on the AlfaBB search function; I go straight to google to find old stuff on this forum.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode