sump guards - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

sump guards

I've seen pictures of cars with sump guards fitted, they look pretty nice, are they a real benefit or just for poseurs?...
How easy are they to fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 AM

In my opinion sump guards not only look good but do actually serve a purpose as well - to protect your sump as the name suggests. Although for the most part you are unlikely to hit your sump in normal everyday driving, there may be the odd occasion when you may bottom out unexpectedly such as hitting a nasty bump in the road. The alfa sump is a wonderful piece of casting which is not too hard to crack if hit hard. If you are lucky you may only break some of the cooling fins if it gets hit but for a relatively small price a sump guard provides good protection against damage. They are easy to fit and well worth the time and money in my book. Consider that my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Ciao for now and happy motoring (in an alfa of course)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 AM

The sump is pretty hard my friend...i once hit a ditch doing 40km/h, the sump took the pain , the exhaust broke on all 4 cylinders about 4cm from the flanges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 AM

Garage
here's another vote for the sump guard! Saved my sump a few times, I think...although I might not have bottomed out without it

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 AM

I bought one but never put it on. If I did put it on, the bottom of the guard would be about 2" from the road and probably would always bottom out. I'd driven the Cross Bronx Expressway a few times and if I've never bottomed out on that , I doubt I ever will anywhere else. I've heard stories about people bottoming out with a sump guard on and shoving the motor a bit up into the hood - so the (new and unused) guard now sits in a corner of the garage.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM

I am a fan of having the sumpguard. Yes it does sit lower than the actual sump, however, I regularly scrape the guard on speedbumps, driveway exits, manholes and rough pavement. I may not scrape if the guard wasnt there, but I consider it cheap insurance. I dont see how it could push the motor into the hood, since the guard mounts to the cross member?

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiemosley View Post
I dont see how it could push the motor into the hood, since the guard mounts to the cross member?
It's just what I've read.

Loud pipes save lives.

Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

how about the mounting, are the holes allready there, or do you need to make new ones?
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcotez View Post
how about the mounting, are the holes allready there, or do you need to make new ones?
it should bolt right on

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM

The front tabs on the guard bolt to the same bolts which hold your front sway bar bracket. The rear holes bolt to the cross member flange which must be drilled if your car has never had a sump guard.

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcotez View Post
Mine musta had one in the past cause the crossmember holes are there but when I put the newly purchased guard up to it, the holes didn't match. I would have to get the car up on a lift to drill matching holes in the guard cause there isn't enough room underneath even when on a jack to get a drill underneath. As mentioned, I've never bothered . Also, be aware that with tension on the sway bar, sometimes lining up the bolts thru the guard can be a *itch.

Loud pipes save lives.

Last edited by lowmileage; 08-18-2008 at 07:43 AM.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM

FYI, I've heard a number of times that repro sump guards are not made from the same quality of metal as the originals, and the problem is that they're 'better'. The new ones are said to be made from a higher grade of metal which will not deform as readily as the originals. This is a bad thing, as the factory items were designed to absorb a little of the impact instead of glancing against the obstruction unscathed - thus transferring impact energy to the metal to which the guard is attached, not good. It should be like a primitive crash structure, I guess.

I stand to be corrected though, as this could have been an issue with earlier repros that has now been remedied?

Alex.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I didn't think there ever was a factory sump guard. I thought they were all dealer installed aftermarket items...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
FYI, I've heard a number of times that repro sump guards are not made from the same quality of metal as the originals, and the problem is that they're 'better'. The new ones are said to be made from a higher grade of metal which will not deform as readily as the originals.
Like Alex, I've also heard of 2 kinds of sump guards. While I haven't subjected my (maybe I should) uninstalled guard to any tests, it appears to be quite robust and in a chance meeting with a manhole cover, I'd give the edge to my guard but I'd sooner have one that might dent a bit more easily.

Loud pipes save lives.

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 AM

Well I really dont know about what materials these guards are made of, but as an ex-metalworker, I would have to say they are either mild steel, which would probably deform under extreme impact, or else they are cold rolled steel, which is much harder. I cant imagine why they would use cold rolled steel since it is more expensive, and more difficult to bend into the proper shape. I would bet most guards are made of mild steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode