sump guards - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm with you Rockie. There are probably different manufacturers but why would anyone use something other than mild steel? These are raltively crude, handmade items. Probably hand formed over a mandrel and welded in a jig.

Also from an engineering standpoint I would want something that would deform rather than be so strong as to transmit that energy elsewhere and break something else...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to user459
The problem I found is that the mild steel distorts when it hits an obstacle and drives inself into the sump. I guess it is preferable to have the steel guard hit the sump rather than asphalt or concrete, but now you have the distorted guard up against the sump fins, rattling and buzzing until you drop it down and pound it back into shape. Then you get the fine experience of having to reinstall it and wait for it to happen again!

I took mine off....

Terry Rushbrook
SNO Director at Large, Space Coast, FL
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge of the quality of the materials used on the sumpguard they bought from various Alfa parts shops across the country?

I am actully looking for a new one. The one on our GTV is original and I want to take it off and preserve it with a newer nicer looking one.

-56" Giulietta Spider Veloce (Sebring 1st in Class 1957).
-57" Giulietta Spider (Period SCCA race car)
-58" Giulietta Spider Veloce (FIVA/HVA winner, fully documented historically preserved, original surivor SCCA race car)
-67" GTA 1600 Corsa Autodelta Ex-Works/Monzeglio Squadra Corse. (1st CL Spa 12 Hr 67", Trento Bondone 68", Targa Florio 71")
-67" GTA 1600 Corsa Autodelta Ex-Works Prototipo (All original).
-69" GTAm
-69" GTV
-71" Montreal
-73" 2000 GTV (In the family 44 years & counting)
-75" Alfetta GT (Rally/Street)
-75" Alfetta GT (Race Car)
-75" Alfetta 'Berlina' Sedan (Rally/Street)
-15" 4C LE (Earliest LE in US).
-17" Giulia QV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM

Yep, the originals were all made from unobtanium iron ore from the famous iron mines of Tuscany. They were specially hand crafted in the Autodelta performance shop to have the perfect blend of shock absorption and sump protection. Few of the originals remain, and few of the old world craftsmen who made them remain as well. The ones available now are made of mild steel.

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM

I'd recommend taking a quick look at this page. No connection at all with the company involved, etc.

Alex.
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Donald R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post
Like Alex, I've also heard of 2 kinds of sump guards. While I haven't subjected my (maybe I should) uninstalled guard to any tests, it appears to be quite robust and in a chance meeting with a manhole cover, I'd give the edge to my guard but I'd sooner have one that might dent a bit more easily.
Hi,
Care to get rid of that guard. I need a good wheel chock.
Let me know.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM

on the front bolts try this, get 2 bolts about 10 mm longer than the old one, run a nut onto these new bolts,, then grind a taper onto the extra 10 mm of bolt you just bought, then they well slip easy into the bolt holes in the sway bar mount, just wiggle the untreaded tapered part into the holes , then tighten.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
on the front bolts try this, get 2 bolts about 10 mm longer than the old one, run a nut onto these new bolts,, then grind a taper onto the extra 10 mm of bolt you just bought, then they well slip easy into the bolt holes in the sway bar mount, just wiggle the untreaded tapered part into the holes , then tighten.
I need to see photos of this.
My bolts are sheard off and I cant figure out how to replace them.
They seem to be coming through the box channel and there is no access point. Do I weld them?
Can anybody provide photos or a procedure for replacing the bolts mounted through the swaybar bushing support??

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
Well that may work fine, but on my car at least the original threads have taken a beating from such ham fisted manouvers, so when I did mine, in an effort to preserve the original threads, I used new bolts and used a crow bar to tweak the sump guard into position so I wouldnt have to to anything which might put further wear and tear on the original threads in the cross member. And always use anti seize compound of course.

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM

I'm still looking to do my part to help some indecisive owner of a new still in the box sump guard. If you are one of the aforementioned. I will pay reasonable freight and compensation or pick it up if in N. Cal and take it off your hand's for Christmas.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM

You could always try Centerline, or International Auto Parts. Or maybe theres time to write a letter to Santa Claus.

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Have had one on for 33 years that the dealer gave to me when I bought the car (requested). I had to drill the rear holes and installed longer bolts in front. I used aircraft nuts on the rear. Pros - It has saved me from several bone shattering hits on road stuff, twice needing guard bodywork, and once some re-welding. It also helps protect from all the cumulative little dings from speed bumps and parking stops since the pan sits out in front of the wheel line (putting the guard out even further now by 1" or so, a warning device of sorts). If I hit the legendary John Duncan Yule log (or similar item), I figure it may act as a skidpan and help me ride up over it a bit and not chomp onto it. Cons - Cost/maintenance. On a small near miss, where you might have missed or just skimmed the pan, you will now hit the guard. It adds up to 1" of depth or so. I just can't see the 1/4" of incremental metal straps between the road and pan causing the engine to push up in a really hard impact. That impact was so bad it would have happened anyway. Methinks an Alfa urban legend there.

I have seen a model with small vertical reinforcing ribs welded onto the outside front half of the longitudinal metal ribs. That reduces clearance even more. If you drive back roads, I'd say it's a must. It also seems like there is just more flotsam on the freeways these days too. My 2 cents.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 01-20-2009 at 06:33 AM.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiemosley View Post
You could always try Centerline, or International Auto Parts. Or maybe theres time to write a letter to Santa Claus.
IAP is out of stock on the Sump Guard and has been for some time. I checked yesterday. I am not sure about Centerline. I have never seen one of their's and am reluctant to order sight unseen.
Thanks for the suggestion .
Don
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Well I think Alfaholics has them, though it requires you to make an international phone call, they ship quickly shipments arrive just as fast as a USA source. I have one of theirs on my car.

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM

just tap a little bigger thread into the front.. also when you mount it, do the front's first.. but do not tighten ,leave a little room, then mount the rear of the gaurd, then tighten all the bolts.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode