1965 Veloce spiderreplacement fuel filter-390277 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to 330.gtc
1965 Veloce spiderreplacement fuel filter-390277

Actually not a replacement, as the car came without a fuel filter on the right inner fender panel. I had reported a 3.75 PSI fuel pressure from the mechanical pump. Here are images of that fuel filter; can it also be used to regulate fuel pressure with the slotted screw on the top? I cannot move that screw......

Sorry about the poor image quality; if you need better, please advise.

Ciao.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Yes, the screw is "supposed" to regulate pressure. It does not regulate as much as the after-market "Filter-King" filter / regulator but it does adjust. The screw is often stuck as it corrodes and tries to become-one with the zinc alloy FISPA FRB 11 top. Further, if there is still an original FISPA diaphragm installed, it has probably seriously stiffened from modern fuel. These can be replaced with a fuel-proof diaphragm (replace the bowl seal at the same time with another fuel-proof modern bowl seal). The new diaphragm is thicker than the original and the regulator function must be readjusted for a correct pressure of about 3#, though some prefer lower pressures, 2.5# or so.
The fuel proof diaphragm and bowl seal are available from PARTSOURCE in Camden Maine, a supplier of parts for the FRB11 as used on Ferrari's. There are other sources. Somewhere I've posted a photo of one of these disassembled. Here it is again.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

MANY thanks Raymond!!! In previous times I had gone through the exercise of adding additional paper-thin gaskets to the mechanical fuel pump to adjust the "throw' of the plunger in the mechanical fuel pump. It did work, but took time to develop a gasket thickness versus pump pressure curve. I will try some penetrating oil on the slotted screw.....and see if that helps.

Also thanks; I did not know that Geoff Ohland, Partsource had the diaphragm and related parts.

Again-THANKS!

Larry B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Again thanks Gordon; 2.75 counterclockwise turns brought the pressure down from 3.75 PSI to 2.9-30 PSI, once we got the slotted screw loose. I will try and run it and see what the plugs look like. Some say an Italian tuneup is what Alfa's need......but 8000 RPM on a rebuilt, 600 mile engine makes me a bit nervous.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 AM

Just my two sense... AR Weber carb'ed cars run rich out of the box. All you have to do is look at all the soot coming out of the tail pipes. If you are running the proper, fuel pressure, float level, and specified jetting and not running at altitude in the Rockies, I would not be too concerned with a cool running engine and sooty plugs as long as the plugs aren't fouling. The "Italian Tune-up" thing wasn't invented. You will get carbon build up on these engines if you don't use judicious higher revs that to normal tooling around in lesser cars wouldn't matter. We never hear the term used on Porsches or Jags. It's just part of the architecture and sum of the components. ... and you don't need 8 grand to do it. Don't ruin a new engine fussing with it. Your focus should be on seating the rings by rowing through the gears and not a steady 2500 to 3000 RPM on your jaunts. I'd treat it like a newborn except for the coddling. U.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 10-10-2019 at 06:13 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks divon....; it makes no sense to me to red line my engine just to give it an "Italian tuneup". Not too many of this variety engine still around. I do row it through the gears up to about 6000 RPM. I did get the fuel pressure down, per Gordon's suggestions.

BTW, what RPM is maximum torque developed, as I can not find that in my Operators Manual?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330.gtc View Post
Thanks divon....; it makes no sense to me to red line my engine just to give it an "Italian tuneup". Not too many of this variety engine still around. I do row it through the gears up to about 6000 RPM. I did get the fuel pressure down, per Gordon's suggestions.

BTW, what RPM is maximum torque developed, as I can not find that in my Operators Manual?
From road tests.. around 4500 peak torque
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I recall having a telephone conversation with Luigi Chinetti perhaps 20 or 25 years ago about how many RPM a Ferrari 330 GTC engine would stand and his literal response was "issa no matter, afta 5500 hundred RPM issa alla noise and noa power". And he should know for the Ferrari brand!

Ciao.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode