Giulietta sprint 750 to 105 1300 conversion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RWCearley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Giulietta sprint 750 to 105 1300 conversion

Has anyone done this to a ‘57 normale ? I wish to replace the original with a later 105 series 1300 cc with side draft Dual Weber DCOE 40.
Currently using the original tunnel case transmission. My goal is to avoid any irreversible damage , hence seeking advise on the best available options to modify to the mounting of the engine to accommodate these Dual Webers .

Last edited by ruban1963; 09-20-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Should not be a problem. I believe centerline has engine mounts to accommodate this. I stuffed a 1750 and 5 speed into a 59 spider. Tight fit to say the least!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruban1963 View Post
Has anyone done this to a ‘57 normale ? I wish to replace the original with a later 105 series 1300 cc with side draft Dual Weber DCOE 40.
Currently using the original tunnel case transmission. My goal is to avoid any irreversible damage , hence seeking advise on the best available options to modify to the mounting of the engine to accommodate these Dual Webers .

You can boost the out put of your car with cams and a carb and a head job,,headers .. Much more practical and keeps correct the engine. Don't ask me how but i know it is done. I'm not sure how a tunnel case works on a 105 engine. What is the point of changing one engine for another if they have the same potential output?.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 09-20-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:46 PM

Ruban:
It is not that easy. I installed a 1300 105 and a 5-speed trans. with a vertical draft carburetor in my 58 Sprint. It is possible but you will need a lot of modifications. The engine needs to be as low as you can make it (that will hinder the installation of side draft carb's) to be able to install the 5-speed.
The 5-speed trans. has a much bulkier bell housing (without cutting the chassis bell tunnel) that puts the trans. drive shaft so low that it requires to modify the drive shaft support down to align the trans. output shaft to the short drive shaft. In addition to all this you will have to cut some of the existing tunnel opening to get the trans. tower up into the inside of the car.

I would recommend you to make a mock up wooden block to attach to the intake manifold in place of the carbs. Then install the engine/trans into the car without any motor mounts just to have an idea and see what you will need to do, cut, etc. This will allow you to take some measures for the motor mounts and see what it fits, perhaps fab some temporary wooden motor mounts.

In my case the Alfetta oil pan is 2 inches below the front cross member, the transmission bell housing detents are 1/4" from the underside of the shell and the trans.support had to be shimmed down 1.5 inches.

Let me know if need more info or pictures.

Enrique.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 PM

A tunnel case will bolt up to a 105 just fine. However the thick spacer between the engine and bell housing must be for a tunnel case. Tunnel case trans are great. Just have one major weakness, no 5th gear. So unless you are trying to keep the floor plan original and not cut it up for a split case, I would also install a split case 5 speed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Enrique ....much appreciate if you could send us more pics .to this forum or to my email :[email protected]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Ruban:
I agree with RWCearley it would be a lot easier to do this with a tunnel trans. I think to remember reading that a 5th gear can be added to a 4-speed tunnel transmission but I don't know how or who can do the work. I do not know where are you located, however, if you are planning to drive it at 75 plus MPH it would be nice to have a 5th gear to keep the revs down, it can get pretty loud.

I will try to send some pictures, any idea of what area you would like to see? There is a picture of the 105 oil press. connection I sent to a fellow BB member here

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giu...60-sprint.html

Enrique
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 PM

There is no 5th gear option for the tunnel case. My spider veloce has a 4:55 rear end and a tunnel case. 70 mph is around 4500 rpm. Doing 70 mph on our highways is tantamount to being run over by a semi!!!!

Reed
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Ruban

To fit a 105 Series 1300 + twin Webers into a '57 Normale & still keep the tunnel case you will need original 750 Veloce engine mountings to tilt the engine over 8*20' to provide clearance for the Webers over the inner wing.

Then of course the exhaust will need to be changed and the throttle linkages and the Lucas starter will most likely foul on the new throttle linkage and the list goes on - the law of unintended consequences.

I hear you on twin Webers, however as you still have the 4.55 (9/41) rear axle all you will really gain is a fast pull away and quicker throttle response. You could gain 95% of the above with a 1400 piston kit and a single downdraft Weber in place of the original Solex. Keep the original engine mountings, make an adapter for the top of the Weber and fit the original air filter can & use the '58 onwards 4-into-2 exhaust manifold with no fitment issues.

My Dad has a '57 Spider with a 105 engine & single Weber downdraft, albeit with a 5 speed (I bought it like this & have a '57 Spider motor & tunnel case on the shelf). Reed has driven this car about 2500 miles on two different SA Giulietta Tours and can vouch that it pulls almost as well as his '58 Spider Veloce despite only being a 1300.

I have three '57 Sprints & a '58 Sprint Veloce Confortevole so understand the early flat transmission tunnel sheet metal issue and why you want to stick with the tunnel box

I've sent you a Private Message as well

Ciao
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 09-22-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM

Pulls almost as well as a veloce??? Dream on!!! Actually Greigs spiders run great and were a lot of fun on the tour. Looking forward to another.

Reed
AlfistiSA likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode