Giulietta Front Brake Cylinder - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Giulietta Front Brake Cylinder

I have a Bad Brake Cylinder, (Brake Line will not Seal), Right Front, on my 59' Spider Normale. Is the right side different from the left, (there is a "Left on Ebay rite now)? Thanks, Bob Lesher in Oregon

“One must keep working continuously; otherwise, one thinks of death.”
Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:51 PM

I believe the right and left are the same just in different places on the back plate. Go to moss motors. The Healey 100 uses the same brakes and new ones are much cheaper
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:11 PM

They are left and right FRONTS and are specific and NOT interchangeable. Repops are a crap shoot even from MOSS rears. I think Reed is confused with the rears as being interchangeable with some Brit cars. .

I have three rights all clean ... i sold a bunch of these and now these popped up. You will need a rebuild kit.

Is your flare correct? the seats don't usually go afoul and that is where the seal is.. Clean up the seat and flare with GREEN scotch brite and brake fluid on a wood dowel/wand

Last edited by divotandtralee; 09-18-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Healey 100 has front drum brakes and has the wheel cylinders and rebuild kits. I've used the wheel cylinders on a 59 spider and a year later no problems. That said if they are Chinese then they may be a crapshoot. I've had problems with the originals. Most suffer from corrosion and sleeves have been problematic. A friends M/C was recently sleeved and approx a year later it failed. Welcome to the new world. Good rebuilders are becoming a thing of the past.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCearley View Post
Healey 100 has front drum brakes and has the wheel cylinders and rebuild kits. I've used the wheel cylinders on a 59 spider and a year later no problems. That said if they are Chinese then they may be a crapshoot. I've had problems with the originals. Most suffer from corrosion and sleeves have been problematic. A friends M/C was recently sleeved and approx a year later it failed. Welcome to the new world. Good rebuilders are becoming a thing of the past.
Unless they say GIRLING on them they are ALL Chinese. If your friend's faliure was from Karp's , they would have made it right. They use a SS sleeve and a hard chromed and machined to spec original piston. I have never heard of a failure from them. Everything Moss sells is Chinese. I've seen stuff from them where the threaded bore wasn't in alignment. I have only had the best service from rebuilt original Girling parts.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 09-18-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Bob,
If the current brake line has the correct end flare and no longer seals, I'd start with replacing the line with a new line with new b-nuts. I've seen the original nut distorted from over tightening. I like cupronickel brake line tubing It's softer, easily bendable and I guess the flare may seal better than steel. The male flare inside the wheel cylinder port can also be distorted and no longer seal. Unless the re-sleevers like Karp can refurbish the port, it's time to look for a replacement cylinder. I've had luck with original cylinders that I have polished to a mirror finish using Scotchbrite pad made into a flap polisher and electric drill. Too much corrosion and too large an ID after polishing may result in failure.

Jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Rebuilding is becoming a problem because the good ones are retiring or dying off and no one is replacing them. I have two sources for radiator rebuilding (and one will clean and fix gas tanks) when they are gone that's it no more. Same is true for electrical. My generator/starter rebuilder is getting up in age and there is no one to take his place. Not sure who rebuilt my friends M/C. But obviously it was poorly done.

That said, if you have parts needing a rebuild, do it now before it's too late.

Reed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks all especially "Divotandtralee". I have this covered. Bob

“One must keep working continuously; otherwise, one thinks of death.”
Enzo Ferrari

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode