Radiator pressure cap-`1965 Veloce Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to 330.gtc
Radiator pressure cap-`1965 Veloce Spider

I cannot find the pressure rating for my radiator cap in the literature I have. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me the pressure rating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
It is supposed to be .5 atmosphere or 7 psi release. Not sure where you can get a stock looking cap for an IPRA radiator. Maybe someone can chime in.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:56 AM

Buy Car Parts in the UK have them in stock. 7psi release.

Stuart
'57 Spider Veloce, '57 Lightweight, '60 SZ, '76 2000 Spider. '60 Sprint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gents-7 PSI it is. My radiator cap is not marked with the pressure rating. I have a Stant radiator testing kit and I tested my radiator starting at 8 PSI and found the pressure drops to 6 PSI after about 40 seconds. This occurs in the following: all plugs in, all plugs out, then sequentially removing one plug at a time. Same results in all cases; perhaps I have not gotten a good seal between the testor and the neck of the filler cap.

I am still searching for an answer (or answers) to why I note traces of oil on a paper towel inserted into the coolant via the filler neck. In answer to divons question, my best guess as to the amount of oil I recover each time is 2 or 3 drops. I rebuilt the engine about 500 miles ago; could this be some residual oil that got into the cooling system?

All thoughts most welcome.

Ciao.

Last edited by 330.gtc; 09-15-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330.gtc View Post
I am still searching for an answer (or answers) to why I note traces of oil on a paper towel inserted into the coolant via the filler neck. In answer to divons question, my best guess as to the amount of oil I recover each time is 2 or 3 drops. I rebuilt the engine about 500 miles ago; could this be some residual oil that got into the cooling system?
How about flushing the cooling system and replacing with fresh coolant?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks gents-7 PSI it is. My radiator cap is not marked with the pressure rating. I have a Stant radiator testing kit and I tested my radiator starting at 8 PSI and found the pressure drops to 6 PSI after about 40 seconds. This occurs in the following: all plugs in, all plugs out, then sequentially removing one plug at a time. Same results in all cases; perhaps I have not gotten a good seal between the testor and the neck of the filler cap.

All thoughts most welcome.

Ciao.
Bottom line it is worth monitoring to see if the oil or coolant become compromised by a change in color like chocolate milk. Evans is not cheap and you probably don't want to keep recycling it fresh out of the bottle. I might try distilled water 100% through a drive or two cycles and keep checking for oil. You aren't going to hurt anything. The Italian cars (two) I have imported only had 100% H2O in the cooling system as the the PO's were frugal, I think, and the ambient temps in Italy where they came fromdidn't pose a freeze threat. This isn't a good idea as anti-freeze provides corrosion protection which is more valuable than saving on the cost of anti-freeze even i you live in Saudi Arabia. Once you have that behind you, I would reload with the Evans you set aside. I'm not familiar with the properties of Evans and how it mixes with water left in the system.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Pressure cap

Thanks divon...., Evans mixes well with water; it is close to 100 % ethylene glycol and other ingredients. The Evans folks want you to have no (or very little) water in the cooling system.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks divon...., Evans mixes well with water; it is close to 100 % ethylene glycol and other ingredients. The Evans folks want you to have no (or very little) water in the cooling system.
Evans doesn't sell water.. that's why.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Agreed on Evans does not sell water! Mixed reviews on whether or not it works to keep pressure lower in a radiator, thereby extending a radiator's life. I went through plastic BMW radiators about every 80K miles, but the Alfa has a REAL radiator.

I think I will drain the coolant, flush and refill to see if the problem was residual oil in the cooling system after the engine rebuild. Easiest of the possible remedies, and I am getting old and tired.

Ciao
divotandtralee likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 AM

If you drain the coolant, refill a couple of times with clean water and drive the car for a while, much cheaper than adding new coolant.

Just a thought,

Thierry
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:15 AM

Forgot to mention:

When you have cleaned the water circuit a couple of times, don't forget to redo the whole operation with open heating system circuit, that radiator can contain also residual oil inside.
Maybe that is just a job for in the winter periode!

Thierry
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I just added about 11 ounces of sodium bicarbonate and 2 gallons of water (per the Alfa Instruction Book) and will run the car for a few miles and see what the coolant looks like.....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

You sure that wasn’t sodium carbonate in the manual? Different stuff.

Anyway if you want to remove oil I’d probably use water and Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:58 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
You sure that wasnt sodium carbonate in the manual? Different stuff.

Anyway if you want to remove oil Id probably use water and Dawn dishwashing detergent.
Sodium Carbonate in an aluminum engine, especially one that is hot is a really bad idea. That stuff will cause a reaction with aluminum.

Adding Dawn to the cooling system? I wander how that stuff is gonna foam up?

Is this something that you've done to your cars, Tom?

Brian __________________________________

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

ossdoeseppia... that is what the Giulia 1600 Alfa Instruction Manual recommends; page 45.?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode