Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Spider fibreglass dash bull nose

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  divotandtralee 
#1 · (Edited)
Years ago I was able to buy a fiberglass dash nose for a car I was restoring, The car didn't have the metal one. The Part was quite nicely made and had the proper profile for the over hang shading the instruments. Does anyone know of the source, I can't find it now. I want to use one and the upper fiberglass part of the current Fiberglass dash pads to make a padded dash that has the proper over hang. I have already done this 20 years ago and the results were very nice. I have several incorrect reproduction dash castings to use as sacrificial parts for the new ones. All I need is a source of the correct dash noses..
Thanks,
Bill Gillham
Pictures:
1. Fiberglass Nose with proper overhang.
2. one that looks right make by combining the fiberglass nose with the top of the currently available fiberglass padded dash. (this dash was done 20 years ago).
3. Currently available fiberglass dash. Note: the lack of overhang.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Bill, I once made fiber-glass, exact replicas from a fiberglass mould I made up from a real steel nosing strip still hanging in my shop. After making about a dozen both for use without a padded dash, and for my own '65 with a padded dash top, I donated the mould to a customer that wanted to make more. He never made one.
Personally, this was too much like boat building for me, as exterior surface finish depended on the final application, as did stud installation and location. Plenty of auto body filler and sanding was required for different applications. This is all very time consuming and dusty work compared to the other work my customers wanted me to get done, and was not a good use of my time. I still have my steel nosing 101 assembly "just-in-case" I need another for my OWN car!
It's not hard to do, just not for me!

#3 ·
Gordon,
I suppose I could do that too, but like you I really don't like fiberglass work. If I did I'd take the Corvette work I always turn down. The two dash noses I bought years ago were really nicely finished and black gel coated. With the tops I have and a correct nose I'm some panel bond and long strong away from a better dash pad than I can buy. All I need to do is figure out who was selling them. They had American fasteners so it was made over here, I think. I wonder if it was Tom Zat?
Ciao,
Bill

#4 ·
Mine had no gel-coat. Could have been Tom's. (I had enough fiberglass *****les and dust I cannot remember just who bought my mould!) Mine had American studs AND tiny wing nuts!
Here's a thought. Maybe have a fiberglass shop make another mould from your or my real one, and produce more? uh. maybe not. I think I'm too old!

#5 ·
Bill, I had both , the long shade and short one when I did Jim A's car.. a '57... in the early 80's Neither was on the car. After researching, I decided to go with the short one because Anselmi's book shows that on P.95 in 1956.. The bar bill is still waiting for you in Pittsburgh. Don't take any wooden nickels..Then of course if you are going to pad the dash as on the later cars, the short one was in vogue.. go figure. uncle

#7 · (Edited)
Uncle.
I may get that '57 into paint one of these days. Jim want's it black. I did manage to recreate the pinch molding around the back, I'd like to hurt who ever made that mess.

Yes I know about the dash edges getting sharper over time and growing a shade. The real padded dashes continued the process. Unfortunately the reproduction guys didn't see fit to duplicate the original shade. Those Alfisti who drive their cars in the sun know why it is needed. In my case it keeps the rain off the gauges! (I live in Oregon after all!)

I have 3 Giulia Spider Veloce's in the shop at the moment, I'd like them to have proper padded dashes.

If I come up with a solution I'll share.

CU in Colorado Springs? We are planing to drive Hooligan out, I think I'm up for one more 2 lane black top adventure.
Bill

#8 ·
xalfa racer, Yes studs were initially located with a blob of body filler, but secured with more fiberglass and resin. Smoothed outside by sanding and filling with body filler, the finished product is undetectably the same as a steel nosing. It does not need all the finish work to serve under a real recreated padded dash as I did on my '65. It's purpose there is the shape of the nosing under the vinyl and foam, and to create a pinch type retainer for the vinyl under the nosing, by the instruments. If anyone wants to see photos of my recreated '65 "padded" dash top, let me know. It looks and feels original, and has held up for many years.

Reactions: xalfaracer
#9 ·
Here is what I am intending to build more of; We seamed the brow so the vinyl would glue with out so much stretching and strain. If i had an un broken original we could glue it on the new base. This was made with a fiberglass Giulietta dash nose and the fiberglass top from a current reproduction padded dash. I like the look.
Ciao,
Bill

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Well executed ..however, I would not commission it. Just so you know I would prefer a more relaxed look and less of the ' puffy" stuffed look. Critics abound and personal taste do too. As an art teacher you know that. here is a product used in packing .. plastic foam with closed cell and bounce back...probably needs a water based adhesive though or double sided tape.. It's not going anywhere.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Uncle,
Crazy as it sounds there isn't any stuffing at all, just fiber glass and vinyl. I think the over stuffed look you see is where it will pull down when I install the deflector lip and where it fits against the windshield rubber.

Ossodiseppia
Actually this one is made using part of a Centerline dash top. I bought the last of their dash tops last winter. They are selling the same dash top as everyone else now. Adding the CL top to one of the old Giulietta Nose castings gives a proper Shade over the instruments. I wish I could locate who made them.

We should put the deflector lip on today, I'll post a picture then. I like to do this stuff before I put in the wire harness because it really gets in the way under ther dash If you put it in first..
Ciao,
Bill

#14 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Not really, but I have a metal Giulietta nose I can use for a mold if need be. The one I did is actually a redo of one we did 25 + years ago, at the time the Giulietta fiberglass nose was all that was available. We used the nose and thin padding to recreate the padded dash. We are now restoring that car for the same owner, I used his fiberglass nose and the Centerline fiberglass to for my hybrid dash. I can't remember where I got the first dash nose. So far no one else has either.
Ciao,
Bill

#16 ·
Ok, here is what it is supposed to look like. I did this YEARS ago with one of my STIFF fiberglass nosing assemblies. It could be done with a steel one as well. The dash is padded and feels just like the original did when new. If you don't like this, that's Ok. I've owned this car from new in '65, and any preservation done MUST satisfy me. I know what was as I've owned the car awhile.
The last picture shows how the vinyl is wrapped under the nosing to replicate the underside of the nosing as it was originally.

Attachments

Reactions: OMWattsy
#17 ·
A question from a novice.
Which spider models have the short and which have the full depth dashtops?
Reason: I have a friend in Sydney that has a Giulia spider however the dashtop only covers the nosing portion and does not extend almost to the windscreen (like the ones in this thread).
Cheers, Mick

#18 ·
Generally, If the Spider has the big tail lights it has the padded dash, So there may be cars built in late '61 early ''62 as Giuliettas that came with Padded dashes (Big tail light Giuliettas). All that said, very few original of the real dash top vinyl covers like Gordon's have survived the intervening 50+ years, there are lots of fixes out there.One is putting a Giulietta nose on the dash and painting the dash.I.d like to find one that looks right and fits right.
Good Question.
Bill

#19 ·
I like the way us "agism challenged" members pre qualify with words like, "generally, usually, most-often" or in my case "except for the exceptions" when we discuss build changes Bill. took us awhile to learn how Alfa (or Ferrari) built stuff pre 1968 or so... except for the exceptions.

#26 · (Edited)
Rick,
You are correct Padded dashes are available. None of them are dependably right and some don't even fit at all. All offerings need to have the vinyl installed properly.

Centerline and OKParts dash fits OK but is without the shade over the instruments.
Elvisio's dash has the shade but doesn't fit over the dash lip on the ignition side.
Bertlesbeck has them in their catalogue but not in stock.
Classic Alfa dash, fits like the OKP / Centerline one I believe. Also out of stock.

Which is why I started this thread, I have a bunch of Giulia Spider Veloces (3) in the Shop right now and I'd like to do them right.
Ciao,
Bill

#27 ·
We haven't found many reproduction parts up to factory OEM standards.. We either have to improvise with what is a better solution which you seem to not be satisfied with or find a better alternative. Bill, you eluded to a combination of padded top with the back crackle nosing, I used on my cars. It was the simplest and might be the cleanest alternative to the inferior pads and a bare dash (ala Guilietta)., IMHO. It ain't factory, but neither are the inferior repop pads. Let's face it dash caps for 105's have improved but even when they are installed they raise an eyebrow and there is a certain amount of rejection with them on an otherwise great car.. Any solution short of a factory correct dash and any deviation from it will find scrutiny. I think mine was greeted with as much acceptance aesthetically as any. I had no copyright on it and shared the solution with all the members of AROC in the Owner 25 years ago while I wrestled with the challenge when there were no alternatives.. not even junky, ill-fitting repops..may I remind you.. It took no special skills nor special materials and helped me win many class events. That was then .. and I would still do it the same way, today.

I guess there is always Just Dashes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.