How hard is it to find bumper, chrome bits for the Sprint Speciale? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdivasc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

How hard is it to find bumper, chrome bits for the Sprint Speciale?

Was looking at a Sprint Speciale racer recently that, due to the race conversion, doesn't have the front or back bumpers, center bumper like chrome item on the grill, or the thin line of chrome running up the hood.

How hard are those pieces to source? Impossible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 AM

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 AM

….but don't expect them to just bolt on. Everything SS was fitted to a specific car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl750 View Post
….but don't expect them to just bolt on. Everything SS was fitted to a specific car.
I've found this on more common production Giuliettas as well...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:14 AM

Garage
try these guys

http://sgbumperscar.com/

I know of someone who purchased some bumpers for a flaminia touring. and was very happy

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT

Last edited by ITALCAROZ; 07-23-2019 at 01:26 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:43 PM

I recently restored a 101 SS and the chrome parts are fitted to the body. I would not recommend buying any SS that does not have chrome parts because most chrome parts are not interchangeable. I even had problems restoring my Sprint Veloce because parts purchased from Alfa Romeo decades ago did not fit and had to repair original parts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 PM

I bought the stainless bumpers from these guys for a Giulietta spider restoration.
For an OK driver they are OK. If you are restoring the car to show it the stainless aftermarket ones are not acceptable. They were immediately rejected by my body guys.
You are better of buying old parts and fitting them to your car and then rechroming them. All the new replacement stuff has very poor chrome and quality.
divotandtralee likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdivasc View Post
I bought the stainless bumpers from these guys for a Giulietta spider restoration.
For an OK driver they are OK. If you are restoring the car to show it the stainless aftermarket ones are not acceptable. They were immediately rejected by my body guys.
You are better of buying old parts and fitting them to your car and then re-chroming them. All the new replacement stuff has very poor chrome and quality.
It seems even the high end restoration shops think the SS copies are the new normal. I totally agree with your assessment. Good used bumpers are collecting dust because they lost value over-night. There are good cores and there are bad cores. The ones with original chrome/metal are worth every penny to do. The ones already through a cycle or two of rechroming... well not so good even if straight. They are ground down to paper thin and aren't worth much so you must be very careful culling out the good and bad cores.. The early ones had numbers stamped in them to match over-riders . Discerning owners pay dearly for those if they aren't too pitted but pits can be filled with copper.. The cars deserve what came on them whether they are street or show.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:01 AM

Garage
If you plan to keep it as a race car, you might be able to substitute the front corner bumpers with cutout halves of something else, like some Fiat, possibly find something for the front lip section too. The tail has such shapes that you will need to find some decent originals or perhaps just beat the bumpers from aluminium? Luckily, you still can find Carello tail light lenses for humane prices once in a while. Also, making some own profiles isn't impossible either, if you have the patience and determination to do them by yourself, a bead roller and a shrinker & stretcher in your garage will help a lot.

Fiat 501S, Siata 1500CTS, 1600SS, 1300TI, 1750 Berlina, F12, 3x2000 Berlina, 2x1600 Super, 2x1600GTJunior, Alfetta 1.8, 127, 128, 156 2.0JTS

Last edited by 1300TI; 08-14-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode