Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Galena, Illinois
Here is procedure you might try to determine proper shims (assumes you are starting with just installing the A-arms / wishbones ….. no spindles, springs, etc.)
To determine what thickness shim washer to use, proceed as follows:
• Remove both 2-piece supports from A-arms
• Remove shim washers from supports
• Remove cup seals from supports
• Measure shims and find two that are the same thickness
• Install those two shims on the support with pin.
• Install pivots to chassis (support with pin go on inside)
• Hold A-arm up to pivots.
• If the A-arm does not “just slide into place”, then adjust the 2 shim washers to next larger size.
• Once the inner shims are adjusted (thus centering the A-arm), determine required outer shims to “just fit”.
• Tighten support pin's nut and verify that the A-arm moves up- down freely, but not side-to-side.