'59 Giulietta Spider Veloce Starter - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

'59 Giulietta Spider Veloce Starter

I'm currently working on restoring a '59 Giulietta Spider Veloce. One of the main issues is that the starter (Magneti Marelli mt40b) has gone bad. I'm not sure what happened to it, but after tearing it down, cleaning it, and rebuilding it, it still won't work. I was wondering where would be the best place to find a replacement starter or a compatible starter. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 AM

What doesn't it do …….. run? engage?
Did you do the rebuild yourself or by an auto electric shop?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

It won't run and I rebuilt it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 AM

At least in my part of the world there are still good "auto electric" shops that rebuild them ….. look in your area …………if you want to keep the original Veloce part … the Marelli is worth rebuilding, compared to buying one at a high price and then probably still rebuilding. Otherwise there are many Lucas and Bosch out there to replace it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Hi Daniel, Carl and all,

Here some MT40B pictures that I took from a booklet about starters showing the working mechanism, maybe it can help. Sorry it is in the Italian language.

Have you tried the starter outside the car for eliminating other (bad) influences?
And from my experience from an hour ago, be sure that the battery that you use is full loaded, especially when the starter has been out of service for a longer periode like mine were. I tried 3 starters and none of them would move untill I changed for a reliable full battery and from the first time the same starter worked perfectly. Sometimes it is in the details!

Thierry
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

I believe that Marelli was used as a weight saving effort and, as has already been stated, there are some direct replacements available. My experience with the Marelli was that the solenoid dies before the starter. This problem would be identified by the starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel. Not sure from your description that this is the problem.
Good luck with your problem.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 AM

If you can stomach the problems of sending the starter to the UK then Jay Electrics, 322 Hook Rise North, Tolworth KT6 7LN. +44 208 391 1004 rebuilt mine to perfection. Worth a call?

Stuart
'57 Spider Veloce, '57 Lightweight, '60 SZ, '76 2000 Spider. '60 Sprint
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 AM

Hi Daniel,

I don't know what your opinion is about originality of those special cars but as Carl mentioned before, and certainly other people think , please stay with the original veloce parts if possible, it won’t be cheaper but you won’t regret it at the end.

If you need parts or even a complete MT40B, you will find it on the net with some patience and when looking with the eyes open.
Yesterday, I saw the correct and complete Marelli on Ebay . "In working condition" said the seller but pricy as they all are . Please note I have no connection with that seller !

Pay attention not to buy the MT40A, it has the same appearance but that starter is for the Lancia Appia and can’t be mounted on the Giulietta although some parts are the same on both types. Often sellers don’t know (or pretend not to know) and advertise their MT40A as a Giulietta starter.

xalfaracer is correct too:
Marelli’s are lighter, … another reason to keep the Marelli on a 'Veloce' car!
Weight Marelli MT40B : 3800 gram
Weight Lucas 25301A : 5170 gram

If you would share more specific information about the story of your starter maybe the raison of the problem could be found, who knows, on Alfabb much is possible?

Rgds,

Thierry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 AM

I have a shop in Indiana that can rebuild it. If you want to send it to me, send a pm.

Reed
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Mid 70s moto guzzi motorcycles used a starter which appears to be identical to our marelli starter. I believe many parts from it will work on the veloce marelli starter. The moto guzzi starter spins backwards to the veloce so the armature will not work. But everything else I believe will work. Including the solenoid. New moto guzzi solenoids are available.

Reed
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Hi Reed and all,

Guzzi had the MT40HA and MT40H indeed . I have no further information on them but one can find some info on the net.

I forgot to mention earlier that there was also the MT40C that was mounted on the Alfa Romeo Dauphine. Again with another body but with a few parts that are compatible with the MT40A and MT40B.

Thierry
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 AM

On Ebay there are two marelli solenoids for the moto guzzi. One NOS ($135) and one used ($20). Either will work with the veloce marelli. Also MG cycles sells a solenoid for the marelli for ($50). Its not a marelli but works fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode