Correct position of rear soft top bar - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee
  • 1 Post By giuliettaspyder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Correct position of rear soft top bar

hello, a question..
I have started to get the curved bar, that holds the back of the soft top glued into it, where it goes on the deck.
Now I am not sure if the bottom of this V-shaped part should be pushed all the way in or it should stay just a bit out (there is enough cloth to attach it to)
If it stays out a bit, it would seem that the "cord" that is in the back would be behind the bar and almost flat on the deck, if I stick it all the way in, I would think it gets pushed between the bar and the deck. IMHO it should be the 1st option.
On the drawing, the one on top ....
Glad to hear your advice!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 AM

I think the top photo is more appropriate.. the goal is to allow the edge of the canvas top to sit butted to the car's surface. I think if you go the other way it might be lifted a bit and look a little odd.
That metal bow was not really glued in place but rather "floated" inside the flap and hand sewn in place as I recall ...but don't take my word for it.
Barn101 likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 06-03-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:49 AM

I fitted my mew top from Elvezio about six months ago, and also did a lot of head scratching ..

In the end I butted the rear corner of the bow against the last line of stitching, so it looked a bit more like your lower photo.

That way when fitted, the "cushion" gets pressed down below the bow (it is quite soft and compresses easily) and the little flap of canvas that extends rearwards from the line of stitching lies flat against the body. Also worth noting in my case: if I had fitted it like your upper photo, the whole top would have been 5-10 mm further aft and then the 'side flaps' would have been too far aft to fit with the frontmost turnbuckle.

I know this explanation sounds a bit like greek ... so I have modified your lower diagram to hopefully explain better! The second photo is trying to show the final fit against the rear scuttle.

I do not know if this is the 'correct' way, but it worked for me and I am happy with the look and fit I achieved.

Mike
Sunny South Africa
Attached Images

Barn101 likes this.

Last edited by giuliettaspyder; 06-03-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliettaspyder View Post
I fitted my mew top from Elvezio about six months ago, and also did a lot of head scratching ..

In the end I butted the rear corner of the bow against the last line of stitching, so it looked a bit more like your lower photo.

That way when fitted, the "cushion" gets pressed down below the bow (it is quite soft and compresses easily) and the little flap of canvas that extends rearwards from the line of stitching lies flat against the body. Also worth noting in my case: if I had fitted it like your lower photo, the whole top would have been 5-10 mm further aft and then the 'side flaps' would have been too far aft to fit with the frontmost turnbuckle.

I know this explanation sounds a bit like greek ... so I have modified your lower diagram to hopefully explain better! The second photo is trying to show the final fit against the rear scuttle.

I do not know if this is the 'correct' way, but it worked for me and I am happy with the look and fit I achieved.

Mike
Sunny South Africa
Yes, indeed ..that makes a good result and makes more sense to me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Baie dankie Mike, I fully get your point and the drawing helps a lot as well!
rgds,
George
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 AM

Dit is 'n plesier ... glad to help...

Where did you source your top? The one I got from Elvezio is great quality, but really needed a lot of thinking and fettling to get it to fit perfectly. Particularly the side flaps and the turnbuckles, where the fit was very marginal. It was a case of measure, adjust, measure adjust, measure, adjust, before committing to cutting the holes.

Another tip. Only glue the back top bow when you have it all fitted, but keep checking its position as it is an important reference point.

Mike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mike, I sourced mine at Classic Alfa in UK, it had a little sticker on it with Italian text 'capote giulia lunga dopo il 59' so I assume who ever produced it is from Italy.
I for sure will a do a lot of trying and measuring before final glue stages.. !
Another question... the bars in the frame have tiny holes where the straps are to be mounted. I now notice these tiny holes are only on one side where I thought there were for yarn to tighten, so all the way through, but now think these are for very small screws to fix..?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 AM

Hi George

When I stripped my frame I found that the straps had thin brass plates that were riveted through the straps and into the bow.
The 'original' straps on my car were (grubby) white, so may have been replaced before.

Mike
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

great picture, thx Mike!
rgds,
George
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

The straps on my July '60 are attached with tiny self tapping screws - only 1 strap per side

Mike's car is 1.5 years newer than mine

Hartelyke groeten uit Zuid Afrika
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 PM

Hi Greig

Very interesting. Is the single strap unique to the 1960 tops with the bolt down rear bar like yours or for all earlier tops?

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode