How Do You Remove The Trim? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By xalfaracer
  • 2 Post By divotandtralee
  • 1 Post By GTD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

How Do You Remove The Trim?

I`ve been doing the odd job on the new Giulietta Spider and one thing that needs attention is to repair the damaged trim strips on the sides below the door and on the bonnet (hood). It appears as though they just ping off the clips with the use of a trim removal lever. Is this correct?

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

I should not be answering this without a refresher but I can't get out to the garage right now. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the side trim has screw on clips at the front and back that are accessible inside the fender wells. They are probably covered in road crud and not readily visible. Sorry if I am wrong but I wanted to warn you to look before you start prying and possibly damage something.
Gordon Raymond likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

That`s exactly why I asked. I would probably have just gone ahead and levered but had a sneaking suspicion, just through experience that there was a different method. Can anyone else confirm xalfaracer is right with his memory...

Richard J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Yes he is, there are 2 clips either end of the spear with threaded portions that go through the sheet metal into the wheel wells and take a small 5 or 6mm nut. The originals will be well rusted by now, Forum Member GTD sells repro stainless ones which are ideal for the job. There are usually 2 or 3 spring clips that are jammed over the welded seam between the sills and the underside of the door jamb.

Work carefully the repro sill strips are very spendy...

Ciao
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 05-12-2019 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalfaracer View Post
I should not be answering this without a refresher but I can't get out to the garage right now. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the side trim has screw on clips at the front and back that are accessible inside the fender wells. They are probably covered in road crud and not readily visible. Sorry if I am wrong but I wanted to warn you to look before you start prying and possibly damage something.
These are like 6 mm studs attached to a plate that 'fishes" in to the ends of the trim.... you will see. YOU MUST remove the front and back to get the trim off. If the studs snap off ( they will and aren't worth saving).. no big deal as long as the nut isn't present any more and the ends are relived of their "home" positions by the stud and nut.. The strips can be pulled off the body at that point. After one or both ends are decoupled from the body, just pull the chrome (SS) strip horizontally off the body by coaxing some flex to it outward with one end pulling in oner hand while running a paint stick as a prying lever behind it in the other hand as you go down the length of it. Think of it as opening a can of paint. This will overcome the spring clips in the middle or the clips will simply release from the rocker raised seam on their own. On reassembly , many forms of metal and dum-dum can be used to keep the length of the strip stable and not rattle. The key is to flex the strip with a SLIGHT inward bias over your knee ( or a beer keg) and attach the ends as they were against the bias of the slight bend to force the trim in place when you screw down the ends..

Last edited by divotandtralee; 05-10-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:13 AM
GTD

Giulietta trim

Richard J
Your bonnet/hood trim removal is straight forward .. fragile 4mm steel studs soldered to the trim, originally secured with a thin flat washer and lock washer on the underside of the bonnet. A hex nut (sometimes brass) but generally steel, threads onto the stud. In a Sprint application these nuts are domed or acorn nuts.
Your '61 chassis may have used plated brass trim as did Series 750 cars but Series 101 cars generally had stainless steel trim.

The sill trim is fastened by specific hardware that is as previously described by others in this thread.
I offer the stainless steel clips pictured below to secure the front and rear ends of this trim.
The barbed fasteners used along the length of the sill trim are generally rusted beyond reusing, if there at all.
A substitute clip is offered by the popular parts suppliers but they are over-priced and differ from the original spring steel clips.
Attached Images

Barn101 likes this.

Alfa Sapiens
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great response. GDT those end clips you make, do you have any available and how much? I know freight from the USA is extremely dear and slow so this may well swing the decision against a purchase from you but I may be able to tap into my son`s company freight so may be looking at cost to get to Detroit only.
My son by the way had his first sighting and drive of the car and absolutely loves it. Fortunately despite it being late autumn /beginning of winter we are mild enough to enjoy top down motoring which makes the car a lot more enjoyable.
It seems to be much lighter on the fuel than I expected too which is a pleasant surprise, certainly more economical and with more bottom end "grunt" than the series 2 Fulvia Coupe we had before. Nicer gear change too. Overall we much prefer the car to a Fulvia Coupe.

Richard J
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Thank you all for the great response. GDT those end clips you make, do you have any available and how much? I know freight from the USA is extremely dear and slow so this may well swing the decision against a purchase from you but I may be able to tap into my son`s company freight so may be looking at cost to get to Detroit only.
My son by the way had his first sighting and drive of the car and absolutely loves it. Fortunately despite it being late autumn /beginning of winter we are mild enough to enjoy top down motoring which makes the car a lot more enjoyable.
It seems to be much lighter on the fuel than I expected too which is a pleasant surprise, certainly more economical and with more bottom end "grunt" than the series 2 Fulvia Coupe we had before. Nicer gear change too. Overall we much prefer the car to a Fulvia Coupe.
You got sucked into the "superior engineering and build quality" of a Fulvia which is totally bunk.. I owned one and sold one. Don't get me started about the myth of Lancia ownership. The snobbery is breathtaking.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

In a way yes - we still have two Lancias, a 1963 Flavia Pininfarina Coupe, and a `65 Fulvia 2C Berlina. Every Fulvia Coupe however has always disappointed me. I think the issue is the engine having very little (and I mean very little torque) at anything below 4000 rpm and the awkward gear change 1st being on a dog leg. Driven at high rpm, in other words thrashing it all the time, gets a bit wearying.
Their uneven port arrangements I`m sure didn`t help with 2 ports being longer than the other two and the engine needs high rpm to get velocity through the cylinder head. The 1300 Alfa engine seems to have a broader torque band but not as much high end - certainly not with our single carbed (but synchronised two barrel Weber) Veloce engine.
Our 2C Fulvia is a much nicer car despite it being an 1100 version of the V4 but with 4 speed column change. It is very well built (slightly better than our Giulia Ti) and rides particularly well. The Flavia is just a sophisticated jewel with very flat torque curve from its twin cam flat 4 engine but far better constructed and rides better than Alfas manufactured by Pininfarina. It can be surprisingly quick but does not have the same satisfaction in pushing it compared to an Alfa but a far better quick cruising long distance car that always gets admired.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode