Early 750 drivshaft - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Early 750 drivshaft

Anybody have one of the very early front driveshaft sections in drawing . on the shelf or on a car?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:37 AM

Carl,

Is this what you are looking for?
(My Sprint 00367)
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
Giulietta Sprint 750B -55
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Early driveshaft more info

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. Can you supply the following:
1) Length end to end
2) Diameter of bolt holes at the gearbox end .. 10 mm or 12mm?
3) The removal fork on the gearbox end . is it aluminum or caste iron? (see photo of two sample I have seen is yours different?)
4) In that fork, is a bushing that matches the end of the gearbox .. is the inside diameter 23 mm so you have a screw on pawl on your tunnel case . or is it 18 mm so you have "machined pawl" on your tunnel case?
5) can you take a picture of the surface of the shaft that would contact the removable fork.

Thanks very much
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM

Carl,

Sorry, but I can't answer all of your questions..
The driveshaft is no problem,
Total length: 333mm
Bolt holes: 10mm

But for the gearbox..
The #00367 was rebuild from column to floor shift in the mid of -60s.
It will now be back to column shift, I have got nearly all parts. The tunnel case gearbox which I have was told to be the right one for this car, case is marked with 1365-15001. But when I now have a closer look to the removal fork, made of steel, I notice that holes are 12mm and not 10.. And sorry, part is mount on the box and nut is tighten, so I can't answer your last questions.

Perhaps my removal fork is for a later car?

I hope my pictures can help..
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for replying; your car is solving several mysteries. I and another person are writing a document in an attempt to identify the driveshaft changes that occurred during the 750 series. Your input is very important.

While the parts manual says that only Berlina used the driveshaft with 10 mm bolts, we did not think that made since with the Sprint coming first. Now your car has verified that the very earliest Sprints also had 10 mm bolts.

Your reply to the question about the removable fork with a picture of the gearbox, makes me ask for you to look at this drawing (my fabrication from part catalog drawings) .. do you not have a removable fork between the driveshaft section and the flex joint (Giubo)?

Your length of 333 mm + 3 mm for the expected aluminum removable fork would be almost the same as the later 337 mm front Sprint shaft with the fork permanently welded to the shaft (late 750 and all 101). I may have a source for a missing removable fork.

Your gearbox has no "pawl" on the output shaft only a nut. The pawl I would have expected is also in the drawing. Maybe this was part of the custom floor shift. Or is could resolve another mystery that some very early gearboxes did not have a pawl. There are several other differences in your photos from the later tunnel case I have.

By the way I have a new-old-stock flex joint for 10 mm bolt application.

Reed C. please chime in.
Attached Images

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I should have asked .. are both the bolt holds in the fork attached to the gearbox and the fork welded to the driveshaft both 10 mm?
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:42 PM

Carl,

It appears he needs a few items for the tunnel case. I can supply the trans fork with the 10mm holes and the flange with the 10mm holes.

I do not have the pawl/nut combo. But can have one made. Also it appears the box was converted to a floor shift then back to a column shift. A column shift has different shift forks and rods and different detent springs. These have to be changed in the conversion otherwise the shift pattern will be reversed. And the stiffer springs on the floor shift will make shifting difficult for a column shift

Reed
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 AM

I haven't done my homework, seems like some parts are missing..
Been in contact with my Swedish Giulietta friends and I'm quite sure now that also the early Sprints were supplied with the "pawl"
Also found this picture (from Paul Gregory?) showing the earliest 1315 engine (00004) with attached pawl!
So I'm missing all the parts.. (One of my friends has the removable fork availably, Al with 8mm holes, don't know if it's 23 or 18mm) but so far no pawl..

Regarding my gearbox, found in the in the trunk of the car, is probably the original column shift box for 00367 (the floor shift box was mounted on car).

//Bjorn
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Carl has my early 750 box of parts. He will post a pic later. They include a flange in either steel or aluminum with 10mm holes. And an early trans fork with 10mm holes. With respect to the flange - picture posted earlier. I would prefer the steel one. I suspect the aluminum ones have work hardened by now. Also I believe the steel one is for the very early sprints and berlinas. Carl is not sure on this point.

I suspect Carl can provide a modest price proposal for all this stuff including the "rubber donut" I know this stuff is worth its weight in gold, but neither carl or myself treat it that way.

Strange how working on an article on the early 750 drive shafts leads to this.

Reed
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 AM

Carl, Reed

Many thanks for your help. Of course I will be interested of the parts, but does anybody know a source for a pawl-nut or the dimensions?

Attached are pictures of the surface that would contact the removable fork and also one fork in Al (from a Swedish source, need to reduce the upbored 12mm holes with 10mm bushings.)

//Bjorn
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 AM

I'm having my friend Greig Smith check into having the pawl made now. He has one to copy

Reed
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:13 AM

I have this part in either aluminum or steel with the 10mm hole. The earlier picture is the steel one with the 10mm hole and an aluminum one with a 12mm hole. Both of my parts are with Carl now for his article on the early drive shaft.

He also has my transmission fork with a 10 mm holes.

Reed
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

First, thankyou for adding picture of end of your front driveshaft.

So that we are not confusing the terms I have used please look at these three pictures. Each picture is labeled with the terminology I have been using.

Would you please confirm that both your "Gearbox Fork" and your "Front Driveshaft Section" have 10 mm bolt holes. This is an early Sprint driveshaft mystery I would very much like to solve.

Note the Gearbox Forks and the Driveshaft Forks are being made available by Reed if you need them.
Attached Images

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Rubber Flex Joint for 10 mm bolts

The flex joint for the 10 mm bolt hole Gearbox Fork / Driveshaft Fork is unique in size. Both in spread of bolts and in thickness of rubber. See attached photo

NOTE: my photo still says "Berlina only" ……………. from your input this appears to change to "Berlina and Very Early Sprint Only"
Attached Images

Last edited by carl750; 02-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Screw-on Pawl

I am sure Greig Smith, S. Africa can create you a excellent reproduction.
But I will provide measurements anyway.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode