4Likes
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee
  • 2 Post By divotandtralee
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

750F 1957: question on originality

Hello everyone,
I have just started a restoration of a 1957 Giulietta Spider Veloce. I have completely disassembled the car and now finishing the last paint removal.
My question is about the air hoses holes on engine compartment.
I have found the situation you cas see on pictures. The metal is fully original but it seems that a sort of "bad" trasformation from normale to veloce has been performed on this chassy at Alfa Romeo.
Is is a situation some of you already faced?
Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_3743.pdf (682.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_3744.pdf (671.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_4287.pdf (1.30 MB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_4288.pdf (868.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_4290.pdf (1.15 MB, 134 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 AM

I have a59 750 veloce. Are you sure that the chassis number is correct?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I can't wait til Uncle sees this!

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I can't wait til Uncle sees this!
Uncle just returned from a vacation in the EU. I hope you don't give me credit for knowing how PF put these together. Bertone was just as difficult to understand and Zagato even more accute in how they addressed their construction techniques. For one thing the parts manual doesn't differentiate between a V and an N. The front hole on the normales I have seen has a metal cover screwed on to close it as it was not necessary. I have seen on one car .. can't remember.. either an SZ or SS or Giulia Spider I owned where a crescent shape piece of metal was used to screw on and make the hole more circular on the RIGHT side of the engine bay. Lest I remind Giulia Spider Veloce owners ..one solution to the hole not fitting the hose tight enough was to fabricate a very expensive metal shroud over the junction that not all GV's had. That for another day but clearly a point of visitation by Alfa and PF to solve the hose/hole fit problem.

I don't have any recall on my old car now owned by a BBer #02516 how that hole was fabricated but I do know there wasn't anything unusual or modified about it, but then It was never taken down to bare metal.

I will speculate in my musing however why it is as it is on the subject car and gives further evidence why it was modified and should further support why it was done for a Veloce and the correct routing of the hose duct..

1. The Normale cockpit fresh air duct on the left side was routed through this hole and it was ovalized to accept the hose from the firewall which would require a very tight bend in the hose twice or a tight "S". By elongating the hole it was a less radical bend in the hose duct. I am not claiming all were like that but some must have been that way, possibly a memo from Alfa to PF to modify the hole after Alfa line workers complained it was time consuming to install the hose with these two tight bends.

2. The Veloce was introduced shortly after and the hole in question was too oval to make a tight fit on the air hose coming directly off the air filter canister and it was almost at a 90 degree entry and gives further credence to the cold air feed to the carbs was this hose and this hole...

I think the modification seen in the post is every bit as made by the PF factory and part of a solution which probably evolved into something unnecessary on future build orders as Alfa and PF learned to make that fender skirt more specific to the spec of a Normale or Veloce..

The question could be further reversed by some interpretation of what might have happened between PF and Alfa. There could be a thought that the hole was originally round ... then Alfa requested it oval for the early Normale production which PF obliged to by hand fabricating the change after the part had been machine stamped round... Then lo and behold Alfa could have asked it to be round again for Veloces and PF had to hand fab it back to round from stock already prepped for Normale's...

All this is best settled over beer and cigars .but no one will be sure who is right or wrong in their assumptions unless you were there in Portello in the 50's.
Gordon Raymond likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-31-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Garage
See pictures of the rear air hose hole in my 57 SV.
Let me know if you need other pictures of my car.
(Currently i have a 2.0 installed)
Ulf
Attached Images

1957 Spider Veloce
IN VINO VERITAS

Last edited by ubach; 09-04-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Ulf, great photos!!! that should pretty much confirm there was some fiddling, eye hand coordination done in the factory.
Gordon Raymond and ubach like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

This is really a great info and the confirmation of how great is this forum!
I will maintain the car as it during restoration and I will open another post on restoration section
My chassy is 1495 F 02082
Engine 1315 30777
Many thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Veloce 1957 View Post
This is really a great info and the confirmation of how great is this forum!
I will maintain the car as it during restoration and I will open another post on restoration section
My chassy is 1495 F 02082
Engine 1315 30777
Many thanks
All the numbers line up in the register and most likely a July '57 production. Any idea of the number on the trunk floor? should start with 107xxx

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:33 AM

Attached is a KodaColor glossy (before digital cameras) 3x5 circa 1983, Libertyville Illinois with one our proud guard dog, Dacha the predecessor of Divot and Tralee. The hole was round but no definition from this distance of any mod. # 02516...FYI.. my avatar is #4, Goose our first boy 1/2 Coonhound and 1/2 Lab
Attached Images

Barnlark101 likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 09-05-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode