Fuel additives - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kuni123456

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fuel additives

Does anyone recommend using fuel additives In older cars, and if so which ones. Also any thoughts on octane boosters and using ethanol free gas.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:16 AM

If you have a ping... which might be the reason you posted.. in a Normale.. it's probably caused by ignition timing slightly off, wrong plugs/gap, or driving around lugging the engine in the wrong gear. I've never had the occasion to use octane boosters and never needed them in Veloces or Normale's. and use ethanol. The key to ethanol use (and it's hard to avoid) is to refuel in small doses that you are going to use for occasional driving. Plan on the amount you expect to use say over a 3 month period. A long trip.. top it off full. You will never have a problem with ethanol that way. Winter storage, I always added stabilizer to a tank with less than 2-3 gallons in the tank and freshened it up on the first drive after winter. Never an issue with rust or stale gas..Just my experience. Some folks swear by octane boosters and lead additives as 'multi-vitamins" for their engine. I don't use 'em.
Use only Premium gas. Enjoy your new car.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-30-2018 at 03:22 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:02 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
I agree that if driven regularly then ethanol laced gas is not a problem. If your car has old rubber gas hoses they might be affected by the ethanol. But if they're that old they're probably due for replacement anyway.

Use the octane your engine requires. Higher octane than needed won't hurt it but it'll lighten your wallet faster.

The only additive I use on occasion is Chevron Techron - it is supposed to help keep the fuel injectors clean.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 AM

I don't use additive in Alfa, never. I used 98 fuel only from a premium brand.

Just my experience. From 15 years now, no problem with valves seats. My engines are always complete overhauled before I use them.

Chris

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ciab View Post
Does anyone recommend using fuel additives In older cars, and if so which ones. Also any thoughts on octane boosters and using ethanol free gas.
Thanks
I add 4 oz. of marvel mystery oil, every time I fill up, I have access to alcohol free gas as well-Premium fuel. That said, on the occasion I use ethanol
blends, there is no noticeable difference in performance.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
on the occasion I use ethanol
blends, there is no noticeable difference in performance.
I don't think performance is the issue with ethanol; the issues are:

- it's lack of lubricating qualities (which is why enthusiasts add oil to their gas)

- the way it attacks rubber components

- its short shelf life (or "tank life"). People I know who have large car collections generally use aviation gas. Their cars may go years between fill-ups, and they claim non-ethanol gas stays fresh longer.

Quote:
I add 4 oz. of marvel mystery oil, every time I fill up
I use this stuff:

It seems like a light oil, probably similar to Marvel. Costs ~ $25 a gallon, which will probably last me a lifetime.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-30-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 AM

Garage
@Alfajay ...Good point at the end of the driving season or storage the fuel is ethanol free.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 AM

I recommend using Ethanol Shield for cars that use gasoline mixed with ethanol. The cars that are not driven once a month can develop carburetor problems unless you use a gasoline preservative. I have found that Ethanol Shield works for my Sprint Veloce as well as for small gasoline engines. You can buy racing fuel that does not contain ethanol but, the gas costs about ten dollars per gallon and gasoline preservatives are much less expensive. I thought about using aviation gas but, that is not legal for cars.
divotandtralee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode