Sprint interior early -55, Alfa Rosso AR501 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Sprint interior early -55, Alfa Rosso AR501

Up to my knowledge all the early -55 Sprints had only interior with striped blue/grey texture, both for seats and door panels as well as rear panel. Then later (-56?) also "gray over gray".

Any historic/original interior photos from -55 in combination with Alfa Red AR501 would be appreciated.

Giulia Sprint GT -65
Giulietta Sprint 750B -55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:46 AM

On mine - #555 - we found the blue-grey striped cloth on the rear panels under a black vinyl re-trim. This sample was used by Paul Gregory to get a batch of the cloth re-manufactured (as seen in his car #24).

#555 was originally a red car, though I don't have a code for the colour, the build records just said 'Alfa Red'.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

My #00367 also has re-trimmed door panels, original blue/grey and then black vinyl.
Then we have at least two early -55 cars with re-trimmed panels, done at Alfa/Bertone factory?

Did they really delivered "Alfa Rosso" 750b with blue/grey interior??

Giulia Sprint GT -65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:12 AM

#555 came to me from Sweden, supposedly the Bonnier dealership's test car (records show that it wasn't road registered for nearly a year after production) and tested by Teknikens Värld issue 03/56. Whether or not it was my car tested (and the photos don't look like a red car), the comments in the test could be instructive to your question about finishes.

From the road test: "Inredningen ar i lackerad plat och tyg, valgjord och elegant utan lyx eller pral.", which I won't need to translate for you, though Google tells me that it refers to a fabric and 'hair' interior. So presumably cloth, not vinyl.

I have more info on the early type fabric thanks to Paul G. He thinks that the early type (more blue in the stripes than what followed) was used up to about car #1,000.
Attached Images

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:36 AM

Garage
not sure if this thread helps

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giul...interiors.html

cheers ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, more info will follow..
Attached Images

per_einarsson likes this.

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Reason for starting this thread?

Well, I would like to know more in detail about color/interior for the first delivered 750b Sprints.
My #00367 has color "unknown", confirmed both 2013 and this year 2018, by Alfa Romeo "Centro Documentazione".
For more data about my car, please have a look into my previous tread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giul...nal-color.html

- Car indicates three layers of colors: yellow, red, and blue.
- Original interior is retained on car.
- Panels has first been dressed with texture striped blue/grey combined with brown vinyl lists, later redressed with black vinyl, but still in combination with brown vinyl lists (!?)
- Carpets brown-dark orange
- Seats, grey-beige
According to "Centro Documentazione" the Beige Banana AR801 was availably first end of -55 and this car produced 20th of May. I was told that the car probably has a yellow custom color from factory.

Yesterday, I was in contact with a previous (year 1960!!) owner of the car and he tells that the car is red with black interior at that time, and remembered no signs of repaint, this gentleman has a profession as aircraft mechanic and was in detail telling me about the condition/service of the car. Again, there were absolute no signs repaint..

Could the #00367 has been repaint Red and interior redressed Black by Alfa??
Which original Alfa color would have match original colors of the interior?
Were there any other early -55 with this interior combination?

Who knows??

(#00367 1960 on picture!)
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65

Last edited by Alfabjorn55; 06-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: Sprint interior early - 55, Alfa Rosso AR501

Hi Bjorn,

I read your other thread. I'm sure that the blue striped cloth is the original type, and would assume that Greg is correct about the brown vinyl being a later addition.

Here are some photos of the interiors of red Sprints from the first 1,000 (from the internet; you might have seen them before) now increasingly called (by people who are trying to sell them) 'preserie'.

The first one is #857, recently at Auction with Finarte. Red vinyl (and seat piping) and carpets.

The second is a Swedish car - from the 300s like yours (I don't know the exact number).

The third and fourth photos are of a car for sale in the UK, #881. Red inside again apart from the seat cloth, but this time with the horizontal lift-out panels (where the rear seats would go) in red. My car #555 has faded original red carpet on these panels, but blue vinyl not red on the side panels.

I know a little about these cars. Greg and Paul Gregory and some others know a lot more. What decision are you trying to make? The interior materials, I presume. Given that the car seen in one was a concours winner estimated at c. 200k euros, the 'incorrect' red vinyl doesn't seem to be hurting it too much. If you fancy red inside as per the cars pictured here, then I suggest you go for that.
Attached Images

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcorke View Post
#555 came to me from Sweden, supposedly the Bonnier dealership's test car (records show that it wasn't road registered for nearly a year after production) and tested by Teknikens Värld issue 03/56. Whether or not it was my car tested (and the photos don't look like a red car), the comments in the test could be instructive to your question about finishes.

From the road test: "Inredningen ar i lackerad plat och tyg, valgjord och elegant utan lyx eller pral.", which I won't need to translate for you, though Google tells me that it refers to a fabric and 'hair' interior. So presumably cloth, not vinyl.

I have more info on the early type fabric thanks to Paul G. He thinks that the early type (more blue in the stripes than what followed) was used up to about car #1,000.
Thanks William for the pictures!

I was lucky last year to come over this magazine, #3 1956 from my father-in-law, and also #12 1956!!
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcorke View Post
Hi Bjorn,

I read your other thread. I'm sure that the blue striped cloth is the original type, and would assume that Greg is correct about the brown vinyl being a later addition.

Here are some photos of the interiors of red Sprints from the first 1,000 (from the internet; you might have seen them before) now increasingly called (by people who are trying to sell them) 'preserie'.

The first one is #857, recently at Auction with Finarte. Red vinyl (and seat piping) and carpets.

The second is a Swedish car - from the 300s like yours (I don't know the exact number).

The third and fourth photos are of a car for sale in the UK, #881. Red inside again apart from the seat cloth, but this time with the horizontal lift-out panels (where the rear seats would go) in red. My car #555 has faded original red carpet on these panels, but blue vinyl not red on the side panels.

I know a little about these cars. Greg and Paul Gregory and some others know a lot more. What decision are you trying to make? The interior materials, I presume. Given that the car seen in one was a concours winner estimated at c. 200k euros, the 'incorrect' red vinyl doesn't seem to be hurting it too much. If you fancy red inside as per the cars pictured here, then I suggest you go for that.
Well,
Since it's not clear regarding original car color, I will go the other way around and stay with the interior, striped blue/grey texture, as we for sure knows this is original for the period.
Car color, probably(?) the Azzuro Capri AR304, one of the first colors for the Giulietta Sprint 750b.
Attached Images

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Azzuro Capri is a lovely colour for the Sprint.

If you've not already seen it - here's another BB thread which has the chart of available colours that Paul Gregory researched and published in the Giuliettaletta.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giul...int-codes.html

If you've not joined the Giulietta Register it's worth doing so. They have digitised all the old magazines (Giuliettaletta) which can be downloaded and are an invaluable resource. In particular, Paul's articles about the restoration of #24.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I do think it's a very nice colour, and hopefully will be a perfect combination with the new interior in "old" style!

I'm already a member in the Giulietta Register since 6 months, and yes, the old Giuliettaletta's are really super!!

Giulia Sprint GT -65
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Hi all
I am new to this forum, and to AR. Mostly a 356 man. Until now.
I am looking for people who share my interest in early pre-production Giulietta Sprints. I have just purchased #349. The car was originally sold to Sweden in May 1955 by Bonnier. In 2009, the car went to Austria, and I have now brought it back north to Copenhagen, Denmark.
I am in contact with the last Swedish owner (a doctor) who owned the car for 40 years. He has many interesting stories to tell and pictures to send. Before him, there was 7 owners. I have all their names and addresses, most from Borås and Göteborg area.
I believe the car has only 32.000 km on the clock. I am not sure, but it is very likely. The doctor only put 7.000 km on it for 40 years.
Does anyone have an overview of how many early Sprints exists and how many are known by this forum?
Cheers from Tom
Attached Images

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:34 AM

I was told that there are a number of different interiors for early Sprints and also thought that most 1955 Sprints have column shifts.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 AM

My car #349 has column shift. Works well. Lovely old fashioned style! 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode