750-101(1600) heat shield question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
750-101(1600) heat shield question

About a half a year ago, I bought an use heat shield through an Alfabb member which I yesterday tried to fit on my 1600 Spider with double front exhaust pipes and which eventually showed pretty impossible getting in place due to lack of space because of the twin pipes (or if I didn´t try enough hard?).
If I remember correctly, the seller said his heat shield came of off either 750 or 1300 Spider, both equipped with single front exhaust pipes.
Unfortunately at the time I didn´t reflect at all over the potential single or twin pipes issue and possible lack of space due to it.
I checked with my 1600 Sprint equipped with only one exausted pipe (the early edition) and there was no problem, as well as the heat shields were identical, so my question is, where there possibly different type/sizes of heat shields depending on what type of front exhaust pipes various models were equipped with?
It also seems the possibility of attaching the heat shield with the two screws at the edge of it is missing on the Spider, no holes there as on the Sprint.

Could anyone with a 1600 Spider with the two front exhaust pipes post some pics?

Dennis
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Dennis they have to be bent in two different curves to fit between the pipes and the master cylinder - from the top the shield looks like a large "~" shape. You have to bend and fit at the same time

I have them on both of our Spiders, which have the Veloce branches, but I also have a smaller Normale shield which I took off our '60 Sprint. I make repro Veloce heat shields using soft aluminium and a special heat resistant material I imported from the USA. Quite a few Giulietta's in SA have my shields fitted. I never thought much of it until I had a problem on the road and it took nearly 2 litres of water onto the master cylinder before it stopped boiling off in steam. I now fit them to all my cars, Normale and Veloce.

Not all Giulietta's had heat shields, they were fitted to all Veloce's as far as I can tell and then some Normale's - you can tell if your car was fitted with one originally by looking at the vertical flange behind the LHS front wheel, if it has 2 x 6mm holes in it, then it had a heat shield fitted.

If you don't want to drill holes into the flange you can always make a clamp arrangement out of 2 large washers or two strips of metal that clamp the edge of the heat shield to the flange.

Ciao
Greig
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:46 AM
GTD

Dennis
Yes - the twin pipe Veloce cars used a similar but narrower in width protective plate: 101.20.50.087.00

It is formed with a simple bend around the MC rather than the compound bends of the Normale protective plate.

Alfa Sapiens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode