Building a Normale motor for the heck of it - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Andrew
  • 1 Post By Andrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Building a Normale motor for the heck of it

I've had this engine for a few years, sitting disassembled, and to ward off boredom decided to build it. AR00102*17878*, in its former life was a race engine, block is drilled for oiling on all mains and it had #4 rod through the block long ago. All welded up, liner register rebored, mains line-bored. What the heck, why not.

I took the head to Norman, has slight porting on intake and a matching Weber manifold. Norman faced the seats and valves, had to do a little work to get the guide seals in. But all good, no parts needed, nice and flat, good sealing surface. It was only a couple hours' work.

Block I cleaned, measured everything. Had a crank on the shelf 30/30 plus bearings, rods were already prepped with new bushings, Norman checked and magnafluxed them and they're fine. Checked main clearances today, all in spec. So going to build it up. No particular reason or plan, just something to keep me out of the bars. I paid for the engine some time ago, but it's costing practically nothing now because I have all the parts on the shelf. So it feels free, even though I know it isn't.

I have some Jemison, Alquati, and stock cams, haven't totally decided how to go yet.

Andrew
Attached Images

spider4me, ubach and JerryA like this.

Last edited by Andrew; 05-05-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 AM

I have a late 1959 101 Sprint engine that I received in a trade for a Bosch generator I think in 1970 or 1971. I also have a 1960 Sprint/Spider engine and a 1959 750 Sprint engine as well as a 1967 Super engine. I wonder what to do?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: 30044 Lawrenceville,Georgia..30 miles NNE of Atlanta
Subscribed,keep us posted with progress,then if you're still bored,do my 1300.Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM

I once rebuilt a 102 2000 Spider engine for fun. I had the block bored and used oversize pistons. I also rebuilt both Solex carbs and bought new valves and springs. I still have one connecting rod that had a spun bearing and a set of used connecting rod bolts and nuts. I sold it to an owner in New York. I have many parts for Alfas and will start to sell them soon. I plan to list them one at a time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Andrew, how does Jon cut the valve seats? In other words, what tool does he use for the job? Also, what angle(s) does he use for the valve seats?

It's nice to have this forum, where you can find a bunch of people who completely understand why you're doing this!

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Cams for Normale

The single carb engines (regardless of brand) require good manifold vaccuum which means
very little overlap . Cams designed for performance will make an undrivable street motor...

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Hi Andrew,

Really glad you're doing this! For the benefit of those less experienced like me, and if you feel like it, please include more basic details like what you used to clean the block, measuring tools used, how you assess the condition of parts you're using, what parts you'll not re-use but will order new, etc.

All best,

Tony

Tony

'58 Giulietta Spider Veloce
'67 Duetto (sold)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:02 PM

I would rather store the engine in pieces and rebuild it when it is going to be used. I stored my rebuilt Sprint Veloce engine for thirty years and it worked without any problems. I will not build an engine unless it is going to be used. I have many engines and am tempted to rebuild one but, I might rebuild the late 1959 101 Sprint engine for fun.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, this one came to a halt. I couldn't get #4 main bearing to be happy. Would turn, but not lightly enough, and would stick. After some measuring and checking at Norman, we decided/guessed that when #4 rod went, #4 main got hot and cap mushed a little bit. It was line-bored afterward, but the cap is a little soft and a little crooked. Bearing traces show it's too tight and crooked by a small amount. No easy way to fix without a new cap and another line-bore. Not worth it on this block. So the block's going on the pile and the pieces back on the shelf. Alas.

Andrew
jackh likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Ooops....to bad
I've never built an Alfa 4 cyl, only a V6, but getting excited to finally get on with one for my 1973 Berlina. The head is out for rebuild and I took the SPICA down to Wes yesterday. It's going to be a slow careful process with lots of questions needing answered. This is a great form to get answers.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

It's OK. I didn't have a specific use in mind. And now I know my crank, rods, pistons, liners, head, etc. are all checked and good. Went through the oil pump. I have sources for a block if I decide I need to build one. I built two 750 1300s, this is my first 101, easier other than the issues with the block. It's really no different from any other post-750 engine.

I've had a 2000 under the bench for 10+ years that I pulled out of a Berlina due to missing rollers on the lower timing chain. Ran great, but once I saw that I couldn't keep driving it. Have a rebuilt Norman head for it, so maybe I'll attack that one.

Andrew
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

2000 is basically done. One or two small items, then will run it. Has Motronic pistons, 10548 intake cam on rebuilt Norman head, good Spica pump, new Hastings rings. New bearings, chains. As is typical, nitrided 2000 crank showed no wear. Spica pump wouldn't turn, but Larry Jr at APE finessed it for me and it's now fine. Ran like a champ when I last drove it, but that was 15 years ago. Pump was sort of varnishy stuck, no rust or bad guys inside.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Just to follow up, engine is now in a 79 Spider and works great. Broken in, runs well, good water temp and oil pressure. Going to Georgia so will remain smog-control-free. Had one issue on the pump, the lever for the mixture control under the FCS froze from sitting for 15 years, had to pull the pump off and sort that out, now all good.

I got a replacement block for the Giulietta engine that was the original subject of this post, so eventually will build that.
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode