1959 101 Color Chart - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

1959 101 Color Chart

Here is a 101-Series color chart from the 1958-1959 era. It is from the back of a German-market Alfa Giulietta Brochure. Interesting to note is the difference in available colors, especially between the Sprint and Sprint Veloce. I apologize for the poor quality, but it's the best my scanner will do. (P.S. I can re-post it if a better thread is already established)
Attached Images

Phil
'62 Giulietta Sprint Normale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Interesting to note are some of the colors have never heard of and I thought I had seen everything. Have to add these to the list of Alfa colors. Thank you for taking the effort to post this.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Interesting to note are some of the colors have never heard of and I thought I had seen everything. Have to add these to the list of Alfa colors. Thank you for taking the effort to post this.
Chris,
Yes this solves one mystery (for me at least) in that the very pale light blue color I've seen in some period photos was not necessarily "Celeste Blue", but perhaps the Bianco Nube color. (Cloud White?). Some of these colors should show up in the Archivo Storico reports though, don't you think?

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

According to the Archives, my '62 Giulia Sprint was painted in "azzurro iseo", so the color designations continued at least into the early part of the Giulia series.
Jim

62 Giulia Sprint
65 Giulia Spider Veloces (two)
88 Milano 3.0 L
91 Ducati 900 S/S
06 Ducati Paul Smart 1000
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Garage
Cloud White would be a white with a touch of blue in it I am thinking. That would be a pretty colour. If I had my website up, I could look at the Dupont codes (KFxxxxx). I have seen the Celeste Blu and it is pretty but definitely different than the Cloud White. Goes to show you that Veloce's didn't have the range of color that the other models had. I wonder what a Giulietta Berlina would look like in Blue Elvitia or Giallo Cina?
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Cloud White would be a white with a touch of blue in it I am thinking. That would be a pretty colour. If I had my website up, I could look at the Dupont codes (KFxxxxx). I have seen the Celeste Blu and it is pretty but definitely different than the Cloud White. Goes to show you that Veloce's didn't have the range of color that the other models had. I wonder what a Giulietta Berlina would look like in Blue Elvitia or Giallo Cina?
There is a note in German (which I don't read- the curse of an otherwise adequate public school education) that seems to indicate there were 5 shades of white available-Bianco Gardenia, Bianco KF, Bianco Spino KF, Bianco Ambra and Bianco Nube. The brochure shows a Berlina in the Giallo Cina color. Another observation- The Berlina color options are more subdued, the Veloce options brighter (race colors?), the standard Sprint and Spider colors leaning toward elegance. Seems to indicate there was some special ordering available too.

Phil
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks for posting the chart, Phil. I'd never seen a 59 101 color chart, and this actually revealed a few new colors for my car ('59 Sprint) that I wasn't aware of, namely Pergamina.

I've never heard of Pergamina, nor seen it on a car, and don't really know what to make of it. Does anyone have a photo of it?

As to Bleu Tornado, Carlos Vasconce's Sprint is of that color (under restoration). This color was later replaced/renamed "Bluette", according to the Anselmi book. My '67 Sprint GT was also originally painted this color.

Photos of Tornado Blue/Bluette cars below.
Attached Images

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pathung; 02-24-2008 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:16 PM
PSB

Very nice post Thanks.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathung View Post
As to Bleu Tornado, Carlos Vasconce's Sprint is of that color (under restoration). This color was later replaced/renamed "Bluette", according to the Anselmi book. My '67 Sprint GT was also originally painted this color.
Patrick,
Although my '62 Giulia Sprint was originally "azzurro iseo", I changed the color to "bluette" when I restored it in the early '90's. It's a great color for closed cars. Incidentally, it took me about three years to find the true name of the color, then fiddling around with a few of the colors on Tom Zat's color chart to figure out the paint code (AR327). And, fittingly enough, two slightly different recipes come up for the AR327 code (one with a slight touch of green in it, which I think looks a lot more like the "bleu tornado" and is the one I used).
Jim

62 Giulia Sprint
65 Giulia Spider Veloces (two)
88 Milano 3.0 L
91 Ducati 900 S/S
06 Ducati Paul Smart 1000
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Jim,

Bluette is quite a rare color on an Alfa (I haven't seen any in person), and I'm set on painting my GT this same, and its original color. I was informed of the color's code from an Archivio Storico e-mail, but hadn't begun researching the correct recipe.

Thanks to Phil's initial post, I'm now seriously contemplating painting my 59 Sprint Bluette (its original color was Red, and is currently black). Would you mind posting a few photos of your Bluette Sprint here, and perhaps enlighten me with the paint recipes that you discovered? I was going to give Bill Gillham the code and have him figure it out, but your information will help us move along much quicker and accurately, I'm sure. Thanks very much.

Patrick Hung

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathung View Post
Jim,

Bluette is quite a rare color on an Alfa (I haven't seen any in person), and I'm set on painting my GT this same, and its original color. I was informed of the color's code from an Archivio Storico e-mail, but hadn't begun researching the correct recipe.

Thanks to Phil's initial post, I'm now seriously contemplating painting my 59 Sprint Bluette (its original color was Red, and is currently black). Would you mind posting a few photos of your Bluette Sprint here, and perhaps enlighten me with the paint recipes that you discovered? I was going to give Bill Gillham the code and have him figure it out, but your information will help us move along much quicker and accurately, I'm sure. Thanks very much.
I wish I had my own chart to work with! My advice for "nailing" the exact color is: Forget paint codes- find a chip, car, or modern color you are looking for, and either use the modern formula (i.e. Volkswagen, Mini etc-yes, sacreligious I know) or have a professional paint mixer color match the chip. Then test spray a panel to check color. (This is not just my solution-my paint guy also suggested this). I was looking for a light blue, more like Bianco Nube, but started with the code for Acqua di Fonte. I had two established companies mix up the vintage PPG equivalent of the same Alfa AR#/Glasso code and got two different results, and neither of which looked like the reference color I had picked from my computer screen. (Computer screens lie). We adjusted it toward the blue and the result was not bad-somewhere between Iseo and Acqua and should look great after sanding and final polish (This week I hope). I gather others have had the exact same experience in that elusive search for an "original" shade.
Again to "nail" your color I suggest the above method. You may be in the ballpark by starting with a code, but it is just as easy to have someone custom mix your color- better paintshops do it all the time. Make sure they pay attention and save the final formula! I'm sure there are other methods out there, and perhaps a different source would have bee more accurate. Happy Hunting!

Phil
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Garage
As I understand you can query Dupont for the modern paint formula for just about any color. Dupont bought up just about every paint code/formula there is and their library is very extensive. There might have been a thread on here about that and how to go about it. Someone was looking for Tornado Blu for their car some time back, I don't know if it was on this website or on the 750-101 discussion group, but they did get it from Dupont, and how to mix it so any local shop could do it.

I want to know what Pergamina looks like. I couldn't get a translation on the word.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As I understand you can query Dupont for the modern paint formula for just about any color. Dupont bought up just about every paint code/formula there is and their library is very extensive. There might have been a thread on here about that and how to go about it. Someone was looking for Tornado Blu for their car some time back, I don't know if it was on this website or on the 750-101 discussion group, but they did get it from Dupont, and how to mix it so any local shop could do it.

I want to know what Pergamina looks like. I couldn't get a translation on the word.
Chris,
I found this postcard in my collection. Could this be the color? It's definitely not white (see the cars in the background). The card is undated but looks like late 50's-early 60's.
Attached Images

Phil
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Gents

That picture posted by Phil look more like Giallo Cina / Chinese Yellow.

There were a couple of colours only offered in certain years, Winter Blue & Spain White were only offered in '57.

The Tornado Blue / Bluette Spider in Pat's post, lives near to me, we matched the colour off two Sprint glove boxes and an early Giulia chart & had it mixed up in modern paint, it's simply stunning.

Ciao
Greig
Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Greig,

So that's where that photo came from. I do have lots of bluette paint in my Sprint GT's trunk when needed. Did you simply take the glovebox paint to your local paint-shop for matching? The chart was another visual clue for the shop?

Patrick Hung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode