Body to trasmission cross member - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
HUD

Body to trasmission cross member

Hi guys,

1960 spider

I'm hoping in the next few weeks to be installing my motor and transmission. I'm putting a 5 speed split case transmission in my car. I have been going through my bolts in preparation and noticed the transmission cross member calls for an 8x1.25x35 bolt and the other transmission and cross member call for an 8x1.25x18 bolt? The parts book does not show a steel tube type spacer between the frame and cross member. However, in photos of other cars I have seen a spacer on all 6 bolts. Whats the deal with these spacers? and why are they not listed in the parts book?

Will I need them?

What are the lengths of the spacer?

Thanks!

Last edited by HUD; 05-31-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
HUD

here is an example.
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

They were used to align the motor-tranny-driveline setup, most are a small aluminium tube about 1/2", or 14 to 15mm. I have seen bigger & smaller, but most are stock.

The ones you posted are home made. One of my cars came with two 10mm nuts & some washers in place of the spacers.....

The Parts Book isn't infallible

Ciao
Greig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 AM

It's the devil in the details when you do this.....5 speed swap out... The trans tail silent block is the starting point. The early split case transmissions used a smaller less prominent silent block than the later Giulia 5 speed piece....The cross member in your picture is the early style. The cross members were in a few iterations, too.

So, depending on the source of the 5 speed and the cross member combination, I guess will dictate whether spacers are recommended.

I use a Giulia 101 tranny with the Giulia style cross member and it wasn't necessary to use the spacers.

I don't know whether using the early style cross member with larger silent block brings to the table but I do know the combination I have works. There might be hole alinement issues on the frame when using the wrong combination too.. but my recall of 30 years ago isn't that good anymore. PS I have the aluminum spacers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
HUD

Thanks guys!

Funny, my 5 speed is an early split case that uses the smaller slient block! I may need those spacers uncle. If so, I will contact you for purchase. Thanks!

wait and see.

Last edited by HUD; 06-01-2016 at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Greig is correct - These spacers were used to align the motor-tranny-driveline.

The best way to do it is with the motor and 'box in the car. Unbolt the drive shaft in the middle, and let the rear half down. (Remember to mark it first so that you can re-bolt it in the same orientation to maintain its balance). Remove the lower support bracket from the rubber surrounding the drive shaft centre bearing.

Replace each of the gearbox mounting bolts with longer ones and undo them evenly until the rubber surrounding the drive shaft centre bearing drops away from its top mounting on the body.

Then slowly tighten the gearbox mounting bolts evenly until the rubber just fits back into its mounting. Keep an eye on the rubber guibo to make sure that it does not deform much when you turn the drive shaft. Once you are happy with the alignment, measure the gap between the gearbox mounting and the body, and make and fit spacers of exactly this length, with suitable length bolts and re-assemble the rest.

Mike

Last edited by giuliettaspyder; 06-01-2016 at 02:53 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
HUD

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the tips! I hope in the next 3 weeks to have the engine back from Besic Motorsports and start the process. Wish me luck!

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode