750 VIN and Lube Plates- Back by popular demand - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 AM

please count me in too.

rgds,
ZZ_jr

the Netherlands

present cars; 1959 Giulietta Spider Veloce (resto object); 1973 Berlina 2000 - BMW 550i E60 ; had; 1973 JZ 1600; 1998 156 2.0 TS; 1990 75TS (2 x) 166 V63.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Sorry if you took the caps as "yelling"..I guess I'm not into the unwritten protocol of the internet. It was not directed as a volume increase but emphasis as I know how people read into these things. I can't share some of the weird trivial comments I receive that need clarification and posts that bear repeating because they require emphasis on a subject already posted. From personal experience what might be obvious to you and I isn't to a good portion of the rest of the world. I just used your post to do it. Trust me, I wasn't taking you to task over the fingernail comment....just reminding some folks who need a reminder of what seems obvious to you and I. How the fact you are Australian comes into play really throws me.

Comments about the variation in the word spacing and even the shape of the serpent vis-a-vis what is in their hands have already hit home even after I posted photos of the product before I sold any of them. It's a tough crowd out there. Witness my next post. Keep your powder dry.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 06-03-2016 at 04:50 AM.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ_jr View Post
please count me in too.

rgds,
ZZ_jr

the Netherlands
Alfa Stop is now the exclusive source for these plates. Thank you for the interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
How the fact you are Australian comes into play really throws me.
A lot of my US mates nicknamed me 'convict' years ago. Private joke, sorry.

Quote:
Keep your powder dry.
You have to use some of it now and again.

Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
That just about wipes out this run. For the 4 of you who put in, send a Paypal for $55 to cover the paypal drag and the shipping and the gas to the PO and the cigar and the coffee and [email protected] Thank you

If there is more interest..keep posting and I will make another batch when we have a final figure in a month or so if the quantity (usually 12) warrants it . Keep your oil hot..Uncle
I'll take 2 sets if available....
Thanks,
Carm

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Hello Uncle, thanks again for the great Data Plates! I'm thinking of stamping my plates with the correct numbers but not sure what size that may be since I have nothing to compare to. I did borrow from work a set of 1/8" steel stamps. Is that close?

Thanks
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Hello Uncle, thanks again for the great Data Plates! I'm thinking of stamping my plates with the correct numbers but not sure what size that may be since I have nothing to compare to. I did borrow from work a set of 1/8" steel stamps. Is that close?

Thanks
Actually, no. The originals are 5 mm or .197"... some sets are sold as 3/16 as equal to 5 mm ( .187").. E-bay has tons of them and they are cheap.

Then you have the question of proper technique and there are You- tubes on that subject alone. It takes practice and patience to learn how hard to strike them with the proper weighted hammer... and get the alignment and spacing right... and use the correct base.

And then there is the question of font....and even those vary on the original.. like the "3" and "4".

All of these are befuddling and all part of the journey.. I haven't quite figured it all yet. I am confident it can be done correctly...if man did it in the 50's, man can repeat it in the 21st century.
I have a sense the original process consisted of a chamber the plate was positioned in and a rack with the dies installed in order. The operator would then press a button and a charge of air pressure would drive the rack through one cycle at the prescribed amount and voila the process is complete. This is my version of it.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 06-09-2016 at 03:41 AM.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Thanks Uncle... I will try to get close and do some practice before doing anything with your beautiful art work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode