Mechanical or Electric Fuel Pump? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Mechanical or Electric Fuel Pump?

I am now at the stage of finally starting my 101 Giulia Spider after far too many years off the road. It appears that the original Fispa mechanical fuel pump is not working.

I am not sure what the best way forward is. I have not managed to find a supplier of a repair kit for the Fispa and so my two options are a replacement mechanical unit from Classic Alfa or Alfa Stop, or convert to an electric fuel pump.

What are your thoughts on the best way to go with this?

Thanks in advance

Phil

1963 Giulia 101 Spider (RHD)
1992 75 2.0 TS LE
2001 916 series Spider TS Lusso
2000 156 2.0 Lusso Sportwagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 AM

Then and Now Automotive

This is the company many here use to furnish a rebuild kit or you can send them your fuel pump and they will rebuild it !

The kits are quite reasonably priced.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Whether you go with a mechanical or electrical pump depends on how you plan on using the car.

The advantages of sticking with a mechanical pump are:

- If you plan on showing the car, keeping it stock will save you points.
- It's always easier to just put things back together the way the factory originally built them. Converting to electric will involve making brackets, wiring, modifying fuel lines, ....

The advantages of converting to an electrical pump are:

- If you don't use the car often, the electric pump will easily re-fill the carburetor fuel bowl. With a mechanical pump, you have to crank and crank the engine to cycle the pump enough to get gas to the carb.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:00 AM

Wink Quite true !

Hi Jay ! Missed you guys at the wine tour !

The manual pump can take a bit of time to provide fuel if the car has sat a good while.
If you are modifying the car, an electric pump is a nice item.
Attached Images

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Photos of Electric Fuel Pump Location

Do any of you have a photo of an electric fuel pump fitted to a Spider? If so could you please post.

Thanks

Phil

1992 75 2.0 TS LE
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 AM

No picture handy, but my '64 Giulia Spider has the same factory bracket welded to the body that the Veloce models have.....passengers side,forward of the diff. Electric pumps should be close to and lower than the tank filler.
You would have to change the tank lines (check the Veloce diagrams for routing) and run a 12 volt wire from the key or a key controlled relay to the pump. Provide a 8 amp fuse also.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
my '64 Giulia Spider has the same factory bracket welded to the body that the Veloce models have.....passengers side,forward of the diff.
Yes, my '63 spider normale also had that bracket which readily accepts a Facet pump - use rubber isolators or the sound will drive you nuts.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: 30044 Lawrenceville,Georgia..30 miles NNE of Atlanta
If your car has been sitting for a long time and you just want to get it running,I would fix or replace the mechanical pump,get it running,and go from there.Adding an electric pump might include adding a regulator/filter,maybe not,but my point being that I personally wouldn't complicate things from the get-go.(been there,done that).That said,installing an electric FP (on left hand drive cars)is not difficult,but time consuming if done right.Here we go;All photos from my left hand drive 61' Giulietta normale.From the fuel tank,there is a hard line that connects to an "S" hard line and then to another hard line that goes to the mechanical fuel pump.You're basically removing the "S" line and putting the electric FP in its place(with flex lines that can handle todays fuels,SS braided probably best).This will now pump fuel directly through the mechanical fuel pump.I've mostly heard that this is fine,but I've also heard that it will wear the mechanical pump? I believe most Alfa guys are using Facet/Purolator pumps,cube type or Bendix cylindrical(solid state) type but that's up to you.I prefer the Bendix type because it fits and has a replaceable filter.As mentioned above,you probably have a bracket already there with holes that match the Bendix type pump.(last photo shows "S" line and bracket,3rd photo,orange, shows shot of bracket(in foreground) taken from right rear wheel well )The new pumps come with barbed fittings for fuel hose,but you'll need fittings for the hard lines.I used the Edelmann 5/16"x5/16" female thread with inverted flare and barbed tube,PT#824550.(O'reillys in the USA).Believe me,finding these fittings was nearly impossible for me,and I can't say I got much help from the BB.The last photo shows the installed pump with rubber isolators mentioned above,and green ground wire,which simply runs from the pump around to the chassis bracket.One hot wire comes out of this pump,which I ran through a 3-5amp in-line fuse(called for) to an on/off/temporary-on switch,and then to the #2 fuse on the fusebox.I used this type of switch because for now,my electric pump is used only for priming/starting,(so temp.on)but really unnecessary. BTW,instructions recommend an oil pressure cut-off switch. Because I'm hard of hearing,the pump is quiet and I'll probably install an "on" light at some point.I'm also going to install a filter/regulator so I can dial in fuel pressure.I haven't put many miles on the car after the electric pump was installed(trans.rebuild)but all seemed fine.The pump tested at 3.75lb.to my Weber 32/36 DGV,but might get away with less,I dunno? Hope this helps.Phil D
Attached Images

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: 30044 Lawrenceville,Georgia..30 miles NNE of Atlanta
Pictures of Veloce type filter/regulator bracket.The completed blue bracket was made using the drawing on Manilla card.It works,but Tom Lesko,who sent me a drawing with measurements from his original Veloce bracket,realized that it was 8 degrees off,so the revised drawing is shown in the small,black and white picture.I made a bracket out of paper using this new drawing and it is spot on.Sorry,I can't seem to get it any larger.
Attached Images

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
What does an original 750 Veloce fuel pump installation look like? Photos please.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 AM

See fig 121 in the shop manual.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I've had two 750 pumps done by Then and Now, both great.
My 750 Normale has the electric pump bracket on it; original mechanical pump long gone and has an aftermarket pump there now. Did all cars have the bracket installed?
Andrew
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Andrew,
Both my Normales, 750 and 101, have the bracket.
Joe
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you alphil for your in-depth reply. It has been incredibly helpful.

Phil

1992 75 2.0 TS LE
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys!! I'm working on my 1959 transition spider, haven't gotten to fuel delivery yet but almost there. Great information. I need to make the filter/ regulator bracket so this is perfect.

DJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode