Another paint question I'm afraid! 62 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another paint question I'm afraid! 62 Spider

I am waiting for my late 1962 Giulia Spider to leave the body shop as a restored, bare shell. The previous owner had sprayed it once or twice and I've lost track of the original colour which the factory tells me was "White"!!
So to make a positive out of a negative, I've decided to look at period Alfa whites which it could conceivably been and to avoid one which is too Dulux-door shiny white.
Can anyone please let me know what the names were of Spider whites at that time and if any have a touch of cream, like say the colour Lotus Cortinas are frequently painted.

Thanks Chaps and apologies if this point is covered elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:13 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

It's called Farina White, 2 friends out here have just painted their cars in this colour - just off-white with a touch of yellowy cream - stunning and they matched it off the unblemished original paint under the padded dash of the one Spider that was painted

This has been covered lots before, a thread search of colour charts will bring up lots of information, but for a definitive option to purchase paint, in my opinion, your best bet is to pick the colour of the period E Types as they had a lovely old English White - this should be easy in the UK, and it's a very close match to the Farina White of my friend's '62 Spider.

The original pigments don't exist anymore, so the best you can do is try a close match - the Jag guys have this one in the bag as far as Old English White is concerned and they can direct you to a good paint supplier. it can always be tinted lighter / darker / more yellow / more blue

Ciao
Greig
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Gold Subscriber

My painter made me a few Sample Cards of different white AR013, AR008, and a Honda NH512Z4 1997 (this white I have seen on a Giulietta and it Looks good - but then I'm no expert).

The PPG Deltron line is a two stage thinner base paint.

AR008

700 White 99.0g
728 Oxydyellow 0.6g
703 Black 0.1g
735 Oxydred 0.1
725 Helio Blue 0.1g
Total 100g

ore

Honda whit (ice white)

700 White 97.7g
728 Oxyd Yellow 2.1g
725 Helio Blue 0.1g
Total 100g

AR008 sample is a very hard - crisp white with almost no other colors mixed in, the Honda white is also called ice white, is a little softer, and the AR013 is a cream white (no go).

After the painter did all the insides with the Honda white, I had him do it again and the rest with the AR008 and I Love it!

That's my two cents worth. Greetings from Switzerland, Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 AM

Garage
I have been looking at various posts on AlfaBB and other forums in the hope of finding out what the factory options for paint colours were for the 1964 Giulia Spider. My car is listed as white on the original build sheet but I don't know which white. Does anyone know what the options were?
Thanks in advance.
Jim.

Jim Floyer
1964 Giulia Spider Normale 1600
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:27 AM
GTD

As White seems to be the theme of this thread .. I'm adding a link to the Giulia, formerly cared for by Larry McKeough. It is likely the best preserved example of original white paint on this planet.

1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider- Original Paint - Motor Classic & Competition Corp.

Alfa Sapiens
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Floyer View Post
I have been looking at various posts on AlfaBB and other forums in the hope of finding out what the factory options for paint colours were for the 1964 Giulia Spider. My car is listed as white on the original build sheet but I don't know which white. Does anyone know what the options were?
Thanks in advance.
Jim.
I guess the first question I'd have is that '62 was the transition year between the 1300 101 Giulietta Spider and the 1600 Giulia Spider. If the later, the search ends quick since they only came in 4 colors. They were:
1. Bianco Antico or Antique White
2. Grigio Grafite or Graphite Grey
3. Biancospino or Hawthorne White
4. Rosso Chiaro or Light Red otherwise known as Pininfarina Red

That's according to d'Amico - Tabucchi
Interestingly, I'm restoring a 1964 and I will say that the untouched areas show neither the Antique White which has a lot of yellow nor a Hawthorne white which is very stark. I believe the color of my car is Gardenia White which was offered on the 1300 101 Giuliettas. Go figure......

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
As White seems to be the theme of this thread .. I'm adding a link to the Giulia, formerly cared for by Larry McKeough. It is likely the best preserved example of original white paint on this planet.

1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider- Original Paint - Motor Classic & Competition Corp.
That's an amazing car....but one can see the confusion. The pictures taken inside depending on the light show it as a Biancospino.....in some pictures it comes off as the softer Gardenia because of lighting. Personally, I prefer the Gardenia no matter what the factory decided upon. The Antique White has way too much yellow.

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode