feedback appreciated - Giulietta Sprint restoration (AR 1493.21711) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
feedback appreciated - Giulietta Sprint restoration (AR 1493.21711)

I am the proud new owner of a 1960 101 series Sprint coupe (#AR 1493.21711) and am at the beginning of the restoration process. I'm also new to Alfas so looking forward to getting feedback and suggestions from all the Alfisti here on the forum. This car was recently on eBay which some of you may have seen... I bought it and intend to restore it into a nice driver. I live in New England and purchased this car from a dealer in CT.

My car is a 1960 Giulietta Sprint Normale that was originally sold in Italy. It's unclear whether the original buyer was an Italian or perhaps an American serviceman stationed in Italy, but either way the car made it's way to the US pretty early in it's life. There's a 1964 sticker on the windshield from Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach and a variety of registration docs from the '70s onward from VA and MD. There's also a sticker from the DC area chapter (Capital Chapter) of AROC which looks like it's been there for a long time. Reportedly this car was owned by an AROC member for 20+ years who used this car as a template for another Sprint he was restoring and intended to restore this car more fully but never got around to it.

The car is missing the original 1300 and 4-speed transmission... in it's place are a 1600 motor from GTV/Duetto (AR 00536.16757) with a 5-speed split case transmission. The carbs need some attention, the choke cable is loose, and at a minimum the engine probably needs a thorough tune up. I don't have a compression tester to test compression / leak down but the motor does run. Given my plan for this car is a fun driver rather than a concours restoration, I intend to keep this drivetrain as opposed to sourcing a series correct 1300 etc.

Much of the interior appears to be there with the car, but apart. A good bit of the exterior trim is missing so I'll need to source replacements there and what's there will need rechroming. There are a few other odds and ends missing like the passenger side wiper arm, but overall for a running restoration project and for what I paid for the car I feel like I'm not in bad shape.

As far as the restoration goes, I've never tacked a full restoration before and as I said I'm new to Alfas. My vintage car passion started by owning and worked on several air-cooled 911s, and I also own a 1958 Lancia Aurelia so I'm not a total stranger to Italian cars of this era. But given my skill level as a mechanic is oil change / brake job / basic assembly type stuff, plus I lack things like an engine lift / stand etc, my intention is to outsource a good chunk of the project. But I would like to try to tackle at least basics like some of the tear down, some of the reassembly, sourcing parts, etc.

I would welcome suggestions and feedback on how much I ought to try to handle myself here versus what to rely on others for. Bodywork / paint will certainly be handled by a shop that can do that.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Looks like a solid find. Even better that it runs. The great thing about the Sprints is that they are really simple mechanically. Some of the parts are easier to find than others. Your paint doesn't look too bad from the pics, a little patina isn't a bad thing. Since its likely a single stage paint, it should polish up nicely with a little work.

Lets see more pics.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Nice find. If it's running and your plans are to make it a driver then leave it alone. Fix things as you go polish her up and enjoy the car. Dismantling it to restore it would decommission it for a long while. Meanwhile, you can search for the period correct drivetrain and other parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Lee88

Welcome to the BB, we have 1493*21726, just 15 cars after yours, ours is an 11 January '60 build date, so essentially a late '59 spec.

Your car is a Series II Interim/Transition Sprint in European Spec, as it has side repeater lamps as well as the amber/red/white tail light lenses.

The original engine was a 1315 designated block, which was actually a 101 style block, but still retained the old designation.

You've come to the right place for help !!!

Ciao
Greig

6 Sprints
3 Spiders
That Ti
Others
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks folks. While it looks pretty good with these shots when I loaded up my trailer, there's still certainly substantial work that needs to be done of the car. Even if I didn't take on a full "frame off" restoration, there's rust repairs required in lower door panels, around the rear windshield, and potentially other places. Also my preference is to repaint the car in the original Iseo Blue rather than the current white... you can see the original blue paint behind the radio cut out and a couple other spots. The front seats are in place but the rest of the interior is completely disassembled. Also the brakes are currently nonfunctional. So this is more than just a change the oil, polish it up, and drive it around mostly as it kind of project.

I'll try to post some more pictures later this week as I start cataloging everything.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 PM

I was the one with the kudos on BaT...Start with a parts catalog you can find on Cardisc ...CarDisc International Ltd. - Alfa Romeo Manuals, Giulietta Manuals, Giulia Manuals, GTV Manuals, Spider Manuals, American Austin & American Bantam.. and I would start on the brakes.. They are very straight forward and the drums come off after you remove the two slotted screws on each drum that were assembly line band-aids to keep them from falling off in the process.. Access to the master cylinder is always easier if you pull the pedal box. If the individual wheel cylinders aren't leaking after you prime the master and bleed the brakes LR, RR, RF and LF in that order you will have a chance to drive it before the snow flies. I'd get it on the road before I started the cosmetics. How long has its sat without running? Keep us posted.. Where are you in NE?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I was the one with the kudos on BaT...Start with a parts catalog you can find on Cardisc ... and I would start on the brakes.. They are very straight forward and the drums come off after you remove the two slotted screws on each drum that were assembly line band-aids to keep them from falling off in the process.. Access to the master cylinder is always easier if you pull the pedal box. If the individual wheel cylinders aren't leaking after you prime the master and bleed the brakes LR, RR, RF and LF in that order you will have a chance to drive it before the snow flies. I'd get it on the road before I started the cosmetics. How long has its sat without running? Keep us posted.. Where are you in NE?
Cool, thanks. Yes trying to sort the brakes was top of my list anyway just to make it easier to move the car about.

I'm located in Rhode Island. It's my understanding the car sat for a long time previously (10+ years), but then it ended up with a shop in CT that works on Fiats, Alfas, etc though typically '70s onward cars. The owner of the shop in CT got the motor running, installed new tires, etc so did a few basic things. He had both this car and a GTV as restoration projects and he chose to keep the latter and sell this car. But I haven't really had time to inspect everything yet to see what will need replacing from a mechanical side (e.g. condition of fuel lines, brake lines, seals, etc).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I'll volunteer Rod Burdick in North Smithfield for your support.. I'm sure he would love to see your car and answer any questions. Also, there is an AONE Christmas party in Weston that is well attended on Dec. 12 you might want to plug into your calendar. It's a pot-luck that is always fun. The AONE club is less clubby (PCA) and more relaxed than some other clubs I've been associated with.. I think you would enjoy it. Events.. You can probably hunt down Rod through the usual systems. Contact Dave Pratt the webmaster at AONE to get on the mailing list for updates.
lee88 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:23 PM

I have a 1960 Giulietta 101 Sprint engine and have a four speed transmission that is missing the rear tail piece. I recently restored my 1961 Sprint Veloce and have a list of vendors that sell parts. I have experience restoring Alfas and can help with your restoration.

Last edited by kuni123456; 12-01-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 PM

I was staring at an almost identical project almost 8 years ago. Just 2 pieces of advice- find other local Alfa owners who have experience with similar restorations. They can point you to the best shops for the work, and help with parts. And, the magic of these cars is in the driving. You will only get the true Giulietta driving experience if all the mechanicals are in top working order, so be prepared to go through everything and don't scrimp here. Good luck!

Phil
'62 Giulietta Sprint Normale
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, this will take a little longer to get brakes sorted and running. The brake fluid reservoir is missing under the hood... I'm still inventorying everything and it's possible it may be in with some other random parts in boxes in the trunk. But this won't just be a fill and bleed sort of job. So I'll probably go ahead and try to tackle the full brake system at this point (new lines, etc).

But overall this is looking like a pretty good project. Mechanically the motor, cooling system, and suspension all look in decent shape. Of course you never know until you start stripping paint and looking at bare metal, but upon further inspection it looks like there's very little structural rust problems. The bottom of the passenger door has some issues near the front drain hole. There's also some issues in the front fenders in the rear part of the wheel wells. But the rocker panels, door sills, and most of the other steel looks in decent shape.

I'm starting to catalogue the missing trim pieces too. But job #1 will be getting working brakes... the handbrake worked well enough for me to load and unload from my trailer, but the car isn't driveable as is.
Attached Images

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Few more pics here.
Attached Images

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
Of course you never know until you start stripping paint and looking at bare metal, but upon further inspection it looks like there's very little structural rust problems.
You need to think long and hard before completely disassembling your new Sprint to do a bare metal restoration. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but it is a big decision. Basically you need to decide whether you prefer spending your time on the road or in the garage.

It sounds like your car could be a driver with minimal work (if a complete brake job on a 750/101 can be called "minimal" *). That would let you enjoy ARONE activities next summer, but you probably won't win any concours trophies.

Or if you prefer spending time in the garage, go ahead with the bare metal restoration. Just be prepared for it to take longer and cost more than anticipated.

You may want to read Keith Martin's column in the January issue of "Sports Car Market" where he discussed his decision to do a bare metal restoration on his Giulietta spider.

--------
* For brake shoe relining and drum turning, send your parts to Brake Materials & Parts in Fort Wayne Indiana ( http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/ ). The $100 or so you will spend on shipping will be worth it.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 12-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Your series number preface 101 05 corresponds with a Sprint produced for the USA market and the chassis number falls into the range 1493.20001 through 26200 for said market. Since there is no engine specific number on the plate, and records are very sketchy on this matter in the period, just about any 101 series Spider or Sprint Normale engine would be arguably correct for the car down the road. The number on the scuttle is the Bertone number and isn't very significant. The VIN number matching the plate will be above the RH air inlet on the firewall AR 1493-21714

As for replacing all the brake lines.. that's really not as simple as it sounds. Some of the flares are uncommon for one thing and the other, I have driven my cars for 30-odd years without ever so much as considering the lines in need of replacement. Unless they are suspect, I wouldn't touch them. You'll get another opinion or two on this but I'm just saying. They are routed in such a way to keep them pretty safe from extreme conditions. Rust buckets that look the part of having been driven in salt for long periods are another story. Just my 2 cts. I have the brake canister and hard line to the master if you can't find them.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 12-06-2015 at 09:37 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks guys for the continued feedback.

Alfajay - yes, I realize a full bare metal restoration would set me back meaningfully in terms of time and money. I may do as you suggest for next season and just get the car running safely and enjoy it. But I intend to keep this car for awhile so I anticipate wanting to restore it more thoroughly at some point. I'm fortunate to have other vintage cars to be able to drive and enjoy in the meantime, whenever I do tackle a restoration of this Sprint.

divotandtralee - good to know re: brake lines, didn't realize it was that difficult on these cars. If the lines have no obviously cracks or deterioration, I may defer replacing them until/unless the car is more thoroughly apart for restoration. I may take you up on offer of brake canister and hard line if indeed I'm missing those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode