Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Amazing Preserved '57 Spider Racer

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  PSB 
#1 ·
Reactions: PSB
#5 ·
Hey Alvin, the Monterey weekend is from Friday, August 15 to Sunday, August 17. Friday is Concours Italiano which i believe is no longer at Qual Lodge and is at a new location is Seaside somewhere. Then Saturday and Sunday you can go to the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca. If you aren't too much of a racing fan and wish to only go on one day, then you can go to the Pebble Beach Concours, which is on Sunday. Basically its a smart to drive up there on Thursday so that you can get to Concours Italiano early. It really an all day thing.

As for places to stay...START CALLING NOW! There are many many places to stay in Monterey, it's just a ***** getting reservations since so many people are in town that weekend. What my brother does is he makes his reservations a full year in advance as he checks out of our hotel. anyways i hope i was of some help.

Good Luck

#6 ·
I have a 58 original never been street legal racer that i bought last summer. I have a correct engine for my veloche but unfortunately it is not matching numbers. It will be running by the end of the summer cant wait to take out an original racer around the block!!! I was just wondering what an honest estimate on something like that goes for. And i was also wondering if you have any literature on late 50's early 60's racing history on the east coast of a red 58 veloche spider number 88? Keep in touch love the car.

Phil

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Crew;

We all had this post a long time ago and I posted a lot more info on the "Ring Car"
What happened to the posts?
Mods any Ideas?
Bummer. But nice to see the old girl up on the BB again.

A Few up dates sence it seems my posts are no longer here.
As she was @ Riverside and others and as she is now...
Thanks Crew
Peter Batagios

Attachments

#12 ·
Hello and Happy New Year to you and yours Anthony;
Thanks Man.. I have to say its my Favorite Giulietta too.
There something about this car. Its not up to modern competiveness on track as its set up 100% as it was in its hayDay Soft springs ect.. But what a feel she has. Truly finger tip steering and a all around Big joy to be in. Shes just a true Honest car. and here panels are so light. No repaints and extra body work.
Her AKA is the "Refresher" If I am down , all I have to do is Take out the old refresher.
A quick spin in the Hills and a few runs thrugh the old dentex close ratio gear box with a 750 1300+ in old SCCA trim is all it takes to love life again. My wife finds its amazing.
I am just Happy to be the " Ring cars" care taker.
Thanks again I better Shut up...
Take Care
Peter
The only change was her intake .

Attachments

#15 ·
Haven't visited this site in a while, but this thread has me wondering...!

I purchased a basket case car a long time ago. It came from a farm outside of Spokane, Washington. It was clearly a race car and a search through Washington and Oregon State DMV records came up blank and the opinion was that it had never been registered for street use. The body is really pretty nice despite the many color changes: first Celeste blue, then red, orange, butterscotch, whitish, and red. It had a hoop roll bar mounted behind the driver, just like this #35 car. The engine was apart and in apparent unsalvagable condition. At least, that was my opinion in the early eighties when you could buy complete, running veloce spiders for less than two, or three, thousand dollars, so I found a good engine from a crashed '59 and forgot about the boxes of scraps on the basement shelf.

Then, The Racing Giuliettas came out and I read about some Virgilio Conrero wizard and saw some pictures of his work. That tickled a dim memory of some odd parts buried in the basement, now mostly forgotten. I dug through the boxes and was surprised to find some tantalizing evidence of this mystery car's past. The block had been cut way down and painted blue for some reason. The cold air box had a chunk cut out of the side that matched the pictures in the book. There were four short trumpets, velocity stacks, that apparently fit inside the cold air box and drew air through the window. The crank and rods had been polished and the cams were not stock. Finally, at the bottom of the last box, upside down and rubbing a hole through the cardboard bottom I discoverd a dirty Olio filler cap. When I turned it over, I saw it had a hexagonal badge riveted across the top that said "Conrero & Co. -- Torino" followed by "USARE OLIO CASTROL XL."

Hmmm...

So, my question to those with long memories and maybe old photos, does anyone have any clues about the history of this 750F, 1495-03417?

Bill Eastman
Portland, Oregon

#17 ·
So, my question to those with long memories and maybe old photos, does anyone have any clues about the history of this 750F, 1495-03417?

Bill Eastman
Portland, Oregon
Bill,
Make sure you also send an e-mail with the VIN number to Alfa's Historical Archives, CentroDocumentazione@AlfaRomeo.com, and they will respond within a few days...

Best regards,

#20 ·
The car has been moved from storage to my shop. Most of the big pieces have been rebuilt/cleaned/painted. It appears surprising complete and ignored. I will begin work on the body this winter.

I still have no clue as to its past, nor how it ended up in a field outside of Spokane...

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.