Giulietta turn signal return spring - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Giulietta turn signal return spring

I finally managed to get the steering wheel off my Giulietta TI* to replace the turn signal return spring, but now can't figure out how to mount the spring. If I run it over the plastic guides (see photo), it doesn't produce any tension on the lever and will probably short the contacts. Does it run around the column under the guides?
Thanks,
Don

*If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post details of my steering wheel puller.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

It goes INSIDE the guides and takes one wrap around the metal collar. INSIDE because those nuts will contact a broken spring, turning it into a glowing filiment, inside your steering wheel.
NOW, I must add that there is a consideration as to the direction of the wrap around the collar. I've been told that it must wrap a specific way to cancel properly. Do NOT grease the spring. It needs friction to pull for cancel. Guess how I learned that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM

turn signal spring

Attached drawing of spring configuration,
The spring wraps around the steel shoulder on the steering column only,
Not around the plastic extensions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf doc20141204124424.pdf (141.2 KB, 173 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the "under/ over" Dave, that part of the information is at my shop and IS important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Good timing...I did this last week and have some questions.

1. The spring was a greasy mess. I did not re-grease....now I can hear the spring making noise. You sure it didn't need grease?

2. I did not notice which way it wrapped. Would be curious to know the correct direction or if it matters.

3. There was a thin rubber covering - almost like un-shrunk heat shrink tubing around the steering shaft loose below/past the spring. I didn't see why it was there (nor do I know the complete history of my car). I figured it might belong on the shaft under the spring to provide insulation from the negative ground should the spring break or touch something in the switch with 12+. Re-installed with the spring wrapped around the tubing. Did I do right or wrong???

Self cancel does not work as well now....not that it was perfect before.

I did manage to repair my column switch saving a few $s. Mostly cleaned the contacts but the plastic casing was also cracked. In some switch positions the cracks would expand preventing a tight connection. I super-glued the cracks and the case halves. May not be able to take the switch apart again but it fixed the issue. With additional relays added to carry the load and clean contacts it should last much longer.

Last edited by mb230s; 09-02-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added info about self cancel
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Having owned my '65 Spider Veloce, 50 years, from new, I can tell you that the self cancel feature was always iffy at best, even when new. When I replaced my spring the first time, I greased it as the old one appeared to have been greased. Then there was no self cancel at all. I was told I had the spring wrapped backwards. I disassembled it again, cleaned off all grease, and re-wrapped it as Dave pictured, not being able to remember how I had it previously. It now functions just as it did when new. Iffy at best. Note in Dave's diagram, you are looking at the bottom of the switch.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 PM

Garage
Wheel puller

Hi
A photo of the puller would be great.
Thanks, Keith

62 Giulietta ti, 2002 147 twin spark, 2011 Fiat 500, and a 2009 Fiat Ducato van. Keith
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Just to complicate things, mine didn't work properly until I lightly oiled the spring. YMMV.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 PM

I installed a new turn signal assembly that included a new spring. I coiled it twice around the steering column and did not lubricate the spring. I also replaced the old turn signal assembly because it had a crack in the outer portion. I purchased a steering wheel puller from Alfa Romeo more than 40 years ago and it still works. I also purchased more than thirty Alfa tools for different cars and still use many of them for repairing my Alfas.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 AM
5UG

Interesting
My 1962 Giulietta Spider has never had any self cancelling since I've had the car.
Does that mean my spring is probably fitted incorrectly?

Alan
1962 Giulietta Spider Veloce
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:04 AM

My solution to the self cancelling problem involves using a small cold chisel to create a texture around the circumference of the steering shaft that the spring loops around. Think of it as a splined shaft, which gives the spring something to grab hold of. It does not take very much to create the needed friction.

Jim
2018 Giulia TI Q4
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone View Post
Hi
A photo of the puller would be great.
Thanks, Keith
I used a Posi-Lock 3 jaw puller I've had for years for suspension and steering work. It's the best puller I've used after buying/trying various other styles - and not cheap. Worth the $. When I pulled the center cover of the wheel I saw the 3 slots and immediately realized it would pull the Alfa steering wheel - and it worked great. In the past I've always had to use a custom tool to pull MB wheels....which is most of my automotive hobbyist history. Very useful tool.

I'm pretty sure this is the size I have -

http://amzn.com/B002KGDRRA
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 AM

From working on these cars for about 50+ years, some with OEM springs worked Ok, and some were iffy, others did not self cancel at all. This was a known characteristic, as well as broken springs on the top drivers hinge doors on all Giulietta and Giulia Spiders. It's just the way it was. Today, with a new spring, and some test trials, the turn signal assembly might be made less problematic. I'm pretty sure when these cars were initially assembled, the turn signal self-cancel issue was considered a significant failure. After all, some actually DID work!
for 50 years, I've been satisfied mine has self-cancelled much of the time, and the rest if the time, one left hand finger takes care of the "problem".

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by red10118 View Post
My solution to the self cancelling problem involves using a small cold chisel to create a texture around the circumference of the steering shaft that the spring loops around. Think of it as a splined shaft, which gives the spring something to grab hold of. It does not take very much to create the needed friction.
Too tight a spring or too much friction will cause your turn signal to turn on each time you turn the wheel. Ask me how I know!

George Kraus
w ::

Portland, OR USA
e ::

AROO ALFA BITS NEWSLETTER EDITOR ::

ALFA ROMEO OWNERS OF OREGON (AROO) ::

1960 GIULIETTA SPIDER VELOCE
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Ya know...? I've had that happen too!!!!
Thanks George

Gordon Raymond
Now:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode