How to change oil on Giulietta Spider? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,215
Tbigs.. I have 4 solutions. I expect the plug you have is a 27 mm that is near impossible to fit a socket on in your situation... probably not intended for a steel pan application because of the inaccessibility.

So the proper one was probably the 22 mm one in the photos which I would go with. The other options are the Lancia plug sold by Lancia Spares in PA ( this one is buggered and came out of my Fulvia and probably a FIAT part too) or the Allen type with no magnet. I have every reason to believe the ones I have, 22 mm, were out of steel pans and would be the ticket. I have copper washer.. Let me know and I'll send with a bill for few thousand zlotys or a few Tony Packos hot dogs.. goats has the same selection in his photos.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-14-2019 at 03:13 AM.
divotandtralee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW OH
Posts: 52
Fantastic, thank you goats! Just what I was looking for. I will measure our plug as you advised (may swap next time, to avoid driving season down time), but have you tried this particular size plug? Centerline, Classic Alfa, etc. don't give dimensions so I can't compare until we do the oil change.

Just goes to prove the old adage, no goats no glory!
goats likes this.

1961 Giulietta Spider
1958 Giulietta Spider (sold)
TBigs is offline  
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW OH
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Uncle, NOTHING Alfa is ever as simple as it seems. But you know that!
I am quickly learning this lesson. Four pages (and still going) on how to change oil. Who'da thunk it? On the up side, this thread is quite a wealth of information.

1961 Giulietta Spider
1958 Giulietta Spider (sold)
TBigs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Registered User
 
goats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: san diego CA
Posts: 5,156
oh yeah they all fit on 1750 and 2L pans, but not sure about yours. That's why I suggest measuring ; my guess is that 22 x 1.5 is correct for your pan too.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
goats is offline  
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW OH
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Tbigs.. I have 4 solutions. I expect the plug you have is a 27 mm that is near impossible to fit a socket on in your situation... probably not intended for a steel pan application because of the inaccessibility.

So the proper one was probably the 22 mm one in the photos which I would go with. The other options are the Lancia plug sold by Lancia Spares in PA ( this one is buggered and came out of my Fulvia and probably a FIAT part too) or the Allen type with no magnet. I have every reason to believe the ones I have, 22 mm, were out of steel pans and would be the ticket. I have copper washer.. Let me know and I'll send with a bill for few thousand zlotys or a few Tony Packos hot dogs.. goats has the same selection in his photos.
There is definitely no room for a socket. I just tried a 10 mm Allen key and there was just enough clearance to get it in straight and turn it, so that solution is looking promising (Belmetric). The 22 mm plug could be a good alternative. I wish I could deliver some Tony Packos hot dogs to Pittsburgh this weekend, but Wapakoneta wins out this year. There is always a thick stack of crisp three and a half dollar bills, fresh off the presses, no kidding!

1961 Giulietta Spider
1958 Giulietta Spider (sold)
TBigs is offline  
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBigs View Post
There is definitely no room for a socket. I just tried a 10 mm Allen key and there was just enough clearance to get it in straight and turn it, so that solution is looking promising (Belmetric). The 22 mm plug could be a good alternative. I wish I could deliver some Tony Packos hot dogs to Pittsburgh this weekend, but Wapakoneta wins out this year. There is always a thick stack of crisp three and a half dollar bills, fresh off the presses, no kidding!
My wife is from Ridgeway.. You have to make a side trip to BRIM's Used car dealer in Kenton and get the whole tour..it's wide open. If you like motorcycles, bicycles, fereign cars, scooters etc. from 1900-on there are three buildings down town. Like 600 of them... full of stuff that would melt a calculator in value. Tom Brim is the owner and the doors are wide open ... Tell him the Wadkins Farm boys, Brian and Mark are my nephews and Mark took me through two weeks ago. I never knew about this stash until Mark invited me to go look.. Mind numbing if you like toys. Everything is open to offers. I do have REAL nephews.. Uncle
ballough510 likes this.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW OH
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
My wife is from Ridgeway.. You have to make a side trip to BRIM's Used car dealer in Kenton and get the whole tour..it's wide open. If you like motorcycles, bicycles, fereign cars, scooters etc. from 1900-on there are three buildings down town. Like 600 of them... full of stuff that would melt a calculator in value. Tom Brim is the owner and the doors are wide open ... Tell him the Wadkins Farm boys, Brian and Mark are my nephews and Mark took me through two weeks ago. I never knew about this stash until Mark invited me to go look.. Mind numbing if you like toys. Everything is open to offers. I do have REAL nephews.. Uncle
Thanks for the tip! I'm down that way often enough that I will make sure to visit. Sounds like a nice hidden jewel, the kind that hardly exist anymore.

As for my dad's car, I spent some time on the phone and visiting auto parts stores trying to source the part locally so I could get it done before I leave in a few days, but no luck. I also spent some time talking to Centerline today and learned that the differential and gearbox plugs are the same size as the oil drain plug, so I ordered their part #OP622B, which looks brass, uses a 12mm Allen key, and has a magnet. There aren't as many threads, but it should be enough. The plan is to swap out the plug when the oil is done, which hopefully will solve this issue. It will arrive when I'm back in Toledo, so I won't be able to report back first hand, but I will try to remember to post the results.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom, it is greatly appreciated!

1961 Giulietta Spider
1958 Giulietta Spider (sold)
TBigs is offline  
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW OH
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBigs View Post
...I won't be able to report back first hand, but I will try to remember to post the results.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom, it is greatly appreciated!
The oil change and drain plug swap was successfully done last weekend, my dad just told me. The cross member was partially unbolted and swung out of the way to get it done. No issues getting it back together. Afterward, the only oil leak was from the filler cap, which was corrected. Thanks again to everyone who helped us out so much!

1961 Giulietta Spider
1958 Giulietta Spider (sold)
TBigs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome