Giulietta Sheet metal Fabrication - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Giulietta Sheet metal Fabrication

After reviewing a number of the available options for Giulietta series cars sheet metal I have embarked in manufacturing my own. Here is a prototype of the structural pieces for a Giulietta Spider consisting of rocker panels as well as all and internal components. Also we will be making floor pans, trunk floors, and more to come. All these pieces and others will be available for sale.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Hi Lionel,
When I did my AUSCA spider, I made the internal parts slightly heavier gauge, omitted the holes, and welded full length in place of the spot welds. Skip McCabe's shop did the fabrication for me. The outer round rocker panel was original gauge. This firmed up the chassis to as new. My damage was racing stresses popping the welds loose, and the inner structures twisting as a result. Something to consider.
I'm happy someone here (USA) will be making up these parts, and I know your reputation for high quality will extend to your repair panels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 PM

It is my understanding that the holes (Punched with slight flange) will actually add strength to the member, plus reduce weight. I know that not all small fabricators have that kind of equipment on hand. Regards Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceOne View Post
It is my understanding that the holes (Punched with slight flange) will actually add strength to the member, plus reduce weight. I know that not all small fabricators have that kind of equipment on hand. Regards Ian
Ian, All the parts will be as original with all required punched holes. This is only a crossed sectional pattern so that we can see how all the pieces fit together. Notice that we also simulated the floor section for orientation purposes only.

Lionel

Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Hi Lionel,
When I did my AUSCA spider, I made the internal parts slightly heavier gauge, omitted the holes, and welded full length in place of the spot welds. Skip McCabe's shop did the fabrication for me. The outer round rocker panel was original gauge. This firmed up the chassis to as new. My damage was racing stresses popping the welds loose, and the inner structures twisting as a result. Something to consider.
I'm happy someone here (USA) will be making up these parts, and I know your reputation for high quality will extend to your repair panels!
Gordon,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. All the internal parts will be made out of 18 gauge steel and the rocker made of 20 gauge steel. Stronger than the original.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM

Excellent Lionel, I will be in line for floor pans and rockers for a 101 Spider. Regards Ian
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Thanks Lionel! Just what we needed. I've forwarded this to Skip McCabe, as he has been doing a few Giulia and Giulietta spiders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Velez View Post
After reviewing a number of the available options for Giulietta series cars sheet metal I have embarked in manufacturing my own [...]
Me too, but only for my current project.

Usefull section detail picture.
Thanks for posting Lionel

Alejandro - Italy
[B][COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR][/B]
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Hi Alejandro,

Thatīs a nice blog you have there and I wish I could understand your language, is there any way how to subscribe to it in english, didnīt see any option like that on the site...

Dennis

Last edited by concept 101; 07-27-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks you Denis

Unfortunately, my blog is monolingual: italian only.
You can try to get an on-line translation using google, bablefish or other similar services, but it takes a little imagination to make sense, because the English that comes out is a bit weird.
In any case, we have followers from many different countries and languages

@ Lionel: This weekend I 'll meet the 'Rubios'. I don't think I can stop myself from talking about this new initiative

Alejandro - Italy
[B][COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR][/B]
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Hi Alejandro,

Iīm aware of the weird Google, Bablefish and otherīs translations, I once asked through Google translation a completely strange guy in France to do inquiery regarding shipping price of some items I wanted to buy from him "in his end", normally meaning where he lives, but the translation produced, doing inquiery in his "rear end", coulon something in french, which I think means a...s, hardly sounding nice or polite in french. Luckily and despite my limited knowlidge of french, I could stop that mail from being send.
But I donīt think Iīll run that risk trying to have your blog translated through this media, so Iīll give it a try.

Dennis
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM

Lionel

Lionel

I am restoring a Giulia Spider (101) and will almost certainly need new sills. Could you let me have an idea of the cost ex works? I am in the UK.

Best wishes for your project.

Antony
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrone View Post
Thanks you Denis

Unfortunately, my blog is monolingual: italian only.
You can try to get an on-line translation using google, bablefish or other similar services, but it takes a little imagination to make sense, because the English that comes out is a bit weird.
In any case, we have followers from many different countries and languages

@ Lionel: This weekend I 'll meet the 'Rubios'. I don't think I can stop myself from talking about this new initiative

Hi Alejandro,

Just as an aside, I see that you are using wordpress for your site. I use Google AJAX Translation WordPress Plugin for my website and seems to work ok. It is pretty easy to configure.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 AM

I really appreciate and 'll try Google AJAX transl if it is able to give a polite tranlation of "rear end" (Concept you make me LOL )

Now please no more OT: this is the Lionel's metal fabrication thread. Thanks

Alejandro - Italy
[B][COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR][/B]
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Here are some additional photos
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode