Photos of engine compartments only - Page 13 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Garage
1955 Sprint

Pictures of my 1955 Sprint engine compartment. Note the column shift linkage, the cable that activates the radiator blind, and there original Tudor windshield washer bottle. Just a few of the many differences on these early examples.

Vern in Oregon
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750sprint View Post
Pictures of my 1955 Sprint engine compartment. Note the column shift linkage, the cable that activates the radiator blind, and there original Tudor windshield washer bottle. Just a few of the many differences on these early examples.

Vern in Oregon
Hi Vern,

Am no expert on ´55 Sprints but isn´t the air filter housing incorrect, thought there was another one on these early Sprints.....see the ´55 engine below......

Dennis
Attached Images

post #183 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Garage
P.S.

Can imagine though that these early air filter housings don´t exactly grow on trees any more and must be increadibly hard to find nowadays.....

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
How can you guys tell if something is correct or incorrect? Were there parts catalogs published by the manufacturer that have detailed photos of all the variations? It is/was common to have different equipment for different parts of the world. Unless one has access to such reliable authentication how does one determine "correct"? Might be nice to have a separate thread called "is my car correct?" in which people can post photos and ask questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:22 PM

Garage
Dennis,

The first 600 or so produced featured those squarish air filter housings, and hess they are extremely scarce. My car is # 01365, and has the correct filter in place.

Vern in Oregon
post #186 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Dennis,

The first 600 or so produced featured those squarish air filter housings, and hess they are extremely scarce. My car is # 01365, and has the correct filter in place.

Vern in Oregon
Thanks Vern, I said I´m no expert on these early Sprint, but now I´ve learned something new......one can´t do it if one doesn´t ask or dispute

Last edited by concept 101; 09-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #187 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtt View Post
How can you guys tell if something is correct or incorrect? Were there parts catalogs published by the manufacturer that have detailed photos of all the variations? It is/was common to have different equipment for different parts of the world. Unless one has access to such reliable authentication how does one determine "correct"? Might be nice to have a separate thread called "is my car correct?" in which people can post photos and ask questions.
zedtt,

As we can´t go back in time, we can only go by facts, info, pictures, rumors or what ever we can come over today, there´s no other way and as you noticed here above Vern knew his facts....

P.S.
And it is probably also unlikely Alfa would use any excess of variations for different continents or countries on this first and brand new 750 series....

Dennis

Last edited by concept 101; 09-23-2016 at 03:03 PM.
post #188 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Dennis,

Vern in Oregon
Vern,

Just for the info´s sake, I´ve once seen a note with pictures somewhere, must have most likely been here on ALFABB, that there is/was a guy in either Australia or New Zeeland that has/had not one of these early squarish early Sprint housings, but two or maybe even three, and this is not a prank, at least not from my part......

Dennis
post #189 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
Dennis,

I think I have seen that same photo, I believe they were stacked in some sort of fence wire crate? I have tried to relocate that item several times, with no luck. I also think it was on the BB. It is like shopping at Costco, if you see it, and think you might want it, but don't buy it then, it isn't available the next time back!

Vern in Oregon
post #190 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept 101 View Post
zedtt,

As we can´t go back in time, we can only go by facts, info, pictures, rumors or what ever we can come over today, there´s no other way and as you noticed here above Vern knew his facts....

P.S.
And it is probably also unlikely Alfa would use any excess of variations for different continents or countries on this first and brand new 750 series....

Dennis
Dennis:
The problem is that truly "correct" needs to be based on fact and since we learn something new every day as we did in this thread, it is impossible to know without evidence what indeed is correct. Otherwise we are going based on what is "likely" or "unlikely" and that may or may not lead to "correct".

I have no particular information regarding different equipment for different countries for Alfa Romeo cars. It does exist for other makes. All manufacturers have new learnings as their models are put to market. Such manufacturers would typically introduce improvements or modifications as needed to cure the issues that arise in service. In order to determine what is correct you would need all the technical bulletins and know the chassis number of the car to determine if what you are looking at is correct. For example look at this non-Alfa bulletin: http://rroc.org.au/wiki/images/b/bc/...tionPart11.pdf

I would think that someone should be very careful to state that something in one of those R-R or B cars is incorrect based on the large number of changes that occurred during the model run. Is Alfa Romeo immune from this type of practice? I think not.

Actually I happen to like the idea of knowing what is correct but I also am fairly reserved when it comes to any grand pronouncements as to correct vs incorrect. Otherwise I might insult some fellow enthusiast who just spent lots of time fixing up their car, or just as bad, be just plain wrong. IMHO.

Terry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zedtt; 09-24-2016 at 08:48 AM.
post #191 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtt View Post
How can you guys tell if something is correct or incorrect? Were there parts catalogs published by the manufacturer that have detailed photos of all the variations? It is/was common to have different equipment for different parts of the world. Unless one has access to such reliable authentication how does one determine "correct"?
Hi Terry

Yes the Parts Manual gives chassis numbers as break points for most things on Sprints, Spiders, Ti's and Berlina's

It's not infallible as things were more or less in a constant state of flux with the Giulietta's, remember that three different Coachbuilders were involved, Bertone, Pininfarina & Zagato. The Factory or Centro Stilo built the Berlina's and Ti's. Italian record keeping is nothing like German record keeping.

My own Series I Sprint Veloce Confortevole, E06193, one of 50 with aluminium frames on the doors to receive wind up windows never made it into the Parts Catalogue, The Factory gives chassis 1493*06600 as the breakpoint for the transition from Series I eyebrows Sprint to Series II egg crate Sprint, but in reality the last Series I built was 1493E*06611, a Sprint Veloce Confortevole. The 10 cars preceding E06611 were also all Sprint Veloce Confortevole's but from the second production run of 149 cars without the aluminium frame around the doors. 199 SVC's in total - not found anywhere in the Factory info as a specific model, just listed as Sprint Veloce.

So we can make an educated guess that 1493*06612 is thus the first egg crate Transition or Interim Sprint. The earliest Transition car in my archives is 1493E*06878, D'Amico & Tabucci recorded E06611 as the last Series I, so until 06612 is found we have to put a peg in the ground somewhere as to what is what.

The only constant was Alfa was change, from the earliest Sprints & Spiders through to the last 1600 Giulia's which became 1300's again. Remember there were two distinct Transition or Interim phases, the first one was the change from 750 to 101 and the second was the change from 1300 to 1600 - here certain Giulia Sprints and Spiders were built as Giulietta's and this is reflected in Fusi in '62 where the Giulia Sprints and Spiders are shown twice with different numbers built.

Add to this that there was a USA Export Spec and a Home Market (Italian) Spec and a French Market Spec where cars has differing levels of equipment - the USA Spec in general had Lucas 'Football" tail lights or later Red/Red white and no front fender repeaters, sealed beam headlights with MPH gauges and for a brief period a unique designation of 10104 or 10105.

The Italian or Home market spec had amber/red/white tail lights, metric gauges and fender repeaters, French cars got a glass brake fluid reservoir and a special info plate next to the data plates, German delivered cars also got an extra little tag as did the Willy's-Mexico cars.

So while the above is good in theory, in reality different spec cars were delivered wherever the call was the greatest. Alfa being Alfa shipped whatever was in the stockyard to whoever shouted the loudest. One of my '57 Sprints was delivered to South Africa with metric gauges and SA only went metric in '62 - as it's Grigio Chiarissimo, which wasn't a very common colour, I can only surmise that there was a call for that colour and Alfa shipped whatever was in the stockyard at the time, which was a Home Market Spec car. A friend has a USA Spec '62 1300 Giulietta Normale, 370648, built on a Giulia Spider chassis delivered new in Kenya - no front fender indicators. (Look it up in Fusi, Page 841, note the 2 lines for Giulia Sprints and Giulia Spiders, Fusi got the designations wrong the first line on the Sprints should read 10102 and on the Spiders 10103 instead of 10112 and 10123...My copy of Fusi has lots of pencilled corrections)

Over the years many of us have leaned how to read all of this info and we can usually puzzle it out between us - each has their own niche, Bill Gillham, Dave Brohan, Andrew Watry, Stuart Passey, Dan Allen, Gordon Raymond to name a few and there are many others who are equally knowledgeable and who willingly help folks, that's what makes the Alfa Community, the BB and the Giulietta Register such great resources.

Ciao
Greig

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 09-23-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Spelling....
post #192 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 PM

I have a 1961 SV that was purchased by my father from a dealer after it was imported from Switzerland three months after the production date. The car had an European rear license plate, fender rear view mirrors, US gauges, US lights and Borrani wheels. The Borrani wheels were a mix of three with balancing studs and two without balancing studs. The car also had a removeable padded rear seat bottom and luggage boards. There were no side lights on the car. I also owned a 1957 Spider that had side vent windows and Borrani wheels. I purchased the car in 1970 and restored the car a few years later. The vent windows were original as far as I could tell. I believe that Giulietta cars were produced by Alfa and there were variations depending upon orders and different importers like Hoffman in the US ordered cars with different options.

I have driven Alfas since 1968 and remember riding in my father's 1958 Spider in 1959. I have always worked on my own Alfas since 1968 and try to help other owners. I have restored six Alfas over the years and rebuilt many engines, transmissions, starters, carbs and other Alfa components. The cars are a hobby for me and have met many people associated with Alfas over the years.
post #193 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM

My 750D is getting there slowly.

Chris
Attached Images

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #194 of 219 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 PM

Garage
Chris1750,
That's just simply stunning, gorgeous and other words that my drool won't let me pronounce. Just awesome!
😎

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #195 of 219 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Chris1750,
That's just simply stunning, gorgeous and other words that my drool won't let me pronounce. Just awesome!
😎
Thank you - and original too

Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode