$75K Giulia Spider at Gooding Scottsdale - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

$75K Giulia Spider at Gooding Scottsdale

I was at the Gooding Scottsdale Auction today (a superb event BTW) and saw a 1964 Giulia Spider Normale sell for $75,000 plus 10% buyer's premium. It was a beautifully presented car but this has to be one of the highest prices paid for a Normale.

At the same event a lovely Series V 6C1750 Zagato with unbroken provenance sold for $1.4 million plus 10%.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
164LS
1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

$75k Giulia Spider at Gooding Scottsdale

Add this to your databases. I was at the Gooding Scottsdale Auction today and 1964 Giulia Spider Normale sold for $75,000 plus 10% buyer's premium. Keep in mind that unlike Barrett-Jackson, this is a very genteel and calm auction, so it was not a matter of egos showing off for television. It was an immaculately presented car, but there were some dropped jaws in the room amongst those I knew (Alfisti and non-Alfisti). I think this was great and reflects the increasing appreciation of Alfas in the mainstream collector community (but makes it hard for the rest of us).

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
164LS
1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Wow!! That price blows the numbers right off my price book!

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Good cars always bring a premium. Now I need to call Hagerty and ask them to bump up the insured value on mine
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 PM

I saw the auction for this car online. Now I have not seen it in person nor do I know the previous owner that Gooding was praising so much. The car looked fantastic.

Watching the bidding start, I told my partner that "we are going to get one of these, just an early Giulietta Spider Veloce and not in red. This should go for anywhere between $35 - 45k max". How wrong I was. Crazy money for a nice one, though in my opinion, not a very special car. The beautiful blue 57 Giulietta Spider Veloce at FJ could have been yours for $58k and it looks in similarly spectacular condition.

Judging from what I saw at Gooding and Barrett Jackson, the market is clearly back on a healthier path. Even American muscle sales results are quite impressive.

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Is this the car?

1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider for sale: Anamera

George

George Kraus
w ::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR USA
e ::

AROO ALFA BITS NEWSLETTER EDITOR ::

ALFA ROMEO OWNERS OF OREGON (AROO) ::

1960 GIULIETTA SPIDER VELOCE
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Dear mbaum,
The blue 750F @ Fantasy Junction seems sold...sure went fast.
Laurence
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 AM

From the online catalogue, this car sure did look beyond concours. I haven't seen one in better condition. But a hefty price indeed !
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabits View Post
Yes, but the Gooding catalog (relevant page attached here) is more informative.

This was undoubtedly a standout result at $82.5k including commission, but it fits a pattern I think I perceive from the Arizona results and Bonhams at Retromobile. Many of the high value cars were DNS or brought relatively low prices, and there were few surprises among cars in dubious condition. But aesthetically attractive cars in excellent condition in the middle range of prices did extremely well. If such a generalization is true, it's surely a sign of our very strange economic times. The lesson is, get out to the garage and start polishing, etc.

Edit: Apologies if posting the catalog page was not acceptable, as I see that it has been removed. The source was clearly identified and it's just a fragment of the catalog so I presumed that there was no copyright issue (in fact it's probably good advertising), and it is readily accessible to anyone on the web (provided that they first register their e-mail address only on the Gooding site).

Last edited by don000; 01-24-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: moderator edit ?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
The lesson is, get out to the garage and start polishing, etc.
It is Sunday, the rains in SoCal have ended, I am on my way downstairs to the garage and on to the road - Heaven!

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

It's only a matter of time that these cars go up in value to what they are truly worth in relation to other classic collector cars of this era although this seems like serious money for a non-Veloce. Keith Martin of Sports Car Market Magazine appraised my Giulietta Spider Veloce at $65 to $70K "to the right buyer". I have it insured through Condon and Skelly for $65K. Well restored Giulietta's and Giulia's, especially Veloce's, should respect that kind of money in todays market.

Cheers

George Kraus

Portland, OR USA

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
Crazy money for a nice one, though in my opinion, not a very special car.
I'm with Mike. $75,000 + 10% for a normale? I anticipate that the SCM write-up on this auction will say "well sold".

Hey, we would all like to see our 750/101's get some respect in the marketplace, and from the photos, the restoration does look first class. But $82.5K??? I doubt this will be repeated soon.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I doubt this will be repeated soon.
I hope you are not holding your breath...

George Kraus

Portland, OR USA

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If you compare this to a Porsche 356 it's a good deal. Still trying to figure out why those upside-down bathtubs bring that kind of money. Having driven one myself, I think they suck compared to the 750/101 Spiders. Maybe times are changing...at least lets hope so!

Last edited by italcarguy; 01-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Same vintage Porsches and 3 L Healeys have been priced away above the equivalent Alfa.

And the Alfa is a superior car--in most respects.

From a Brit road test in 1964 the curb weight of the Healey is 2604 pounds and the 101 Spider is 2065.

544 pounds difference.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Last edited by Subtle; 01-25-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode