Motor Trend long term review - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Motor Trend long term review

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...review-verdict

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Good review. I love that car.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Now if the hacks at CU could only read that review. But, their minds are made up, that Italian cars are junk, and will not last.
cuorealfa likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

My experience has been similarly near-perfect.
Bill
cuorealfa likes this.

Bill Maloney

1969 Giulia Super Biscione
2017 Giulia TI AWD
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
That's a very informative series, and a great unbiased report on a superior Alfa sport sedan. Just as I have been told, a good solid car. Grazie, grazie Sig. Marchionne. RIP, sir.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakingthrough View Post
My experience has been similarly near-perfect.
Bill
Same. Car is flawless. Yup Thanks Sergio! Great car! Solid and well built.
alfaloco and cuorealfa like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

excellent review about time.the other day i had a great italian car day lol i saw on the road a 4c white first time seeing one ,a stelvio a giulia fiat500x, maserati levante and fiat 500 all within 30 minutes.Im like yes its a good day,tired of looking at pickups and Japanese Suv
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've had mine 2 years. No problems and still love it every single day.

Now if Consumer Reports could pull their heads out of their...bias (or a**, you choose), maybe this excellent car would get its due in the market.

When I was still a subscriber to Consumer Reports I actually sent them details of my positive ownership in response to their non-data-driven review of the Giulia. If other Giulia owners are reading this, you might consider doing the same.

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 AM

I have owned my Q4 for 18 months without any problems. The MT reviewer noted that they paid $197 for the first service. Mine was free.

Jim
2018 Giulia TI Q4
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by red10118 View Post
I have owned my Q4 for 18 months without any problems. The MT reviewer noted that they paid $197 for the first service. Mine was free.
Mine is too. Even got an extra oil change from them. Had mine serviced the other day for brake fluid change, I supplied the Motul 660 Brake fluid and they charged me $50.00

I have only changed air filter at 8K miles. No need for spark plugs for awhile since they are the NGK Iridium. I have at least another 55K miles for those. It's really nice just changing filters and oil. I don't miss working on my 164 on a daily basis. Miss the 164 though.
alfaloco and horsewidower like this.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 08-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Mine too has been fantastic but please look at what C&D wrote about their 40,000 mi experience with the Giulia QV. Completely different story, which I posted last week in the thread "Giulia Buy Backs". Take a look it's not pretty, not pretty at all.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
I saw that story in C&D, alfamale, and there did seem to be a huge variety of software/ECU glitches. But nothing like the news story I just read on the Ford 6 speed auto transmission debacle, in the Focus and Fiesta:

https://foxbusiness.com/markets/ford...ion-warranties

And they tracked that Quad also, knowing C&D probably relentlessly, and then griped about replacing the warped discs and pads. That's typical Car & Driver, for me, going back a long time. Still, the electronics issues and the whining differential were troubling to read.
Renaldo likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 PM

The car and driver article is actually just ******** (8u!!$chitt). There was no earthly reason to leave the car at the dealership while waiting for the new diff when the only fault was a supposed whine (caused by what one wonders, the brainless and entirely imaginary 3.6 second to 60 mph, which I call ******** on also, not possible from a true standing start, not f'ing possible with that power to weight ratio).

And the throttle fault message also did not affect the usability of the car. One wonders if that fault was due to some driver antics given the interconnection of the stability control, traction control and throttle motors. A small air leak can cause these issues, just btw, because the throttle motors are controlled by the ECU and not the driver's right foot, just as for the brake by wire they couldn't get used to.

The tire wear they experienced tells you how they drive the car.

Also, disc brakes generally do not warp and vented discs cannot warp. Disc brake pulsing is almost always due to driver abuse, out driving the pads is the most common reason. The pulsing is due to tiny thickness variations caused by uneven pad deposits onto the disc most often caused by overheating the brakes with street pads. Another cause is random hot spot crystallization of the cast iron in the discs again mostly the result of careless driving too hard for the pads fitted to the car. Expert and competent drivers never outdrive their brakes or their tires. The truly great racing drivers were known for their uncanny ability to drive to the limit of tires and brakes but not beyond.

I've stopped reading both Car and Driver and Road & Track (owned by the same publisher for years now ). Neither set of journalists knows what they're talking about.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I agree, the article was crap. They rigged the whole thing to fail due to their abuse of the car. I have not read those magazines since about 1995. They are useless unless you like reading about how great BMW is.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Garage
C & D has been full of crap going back to the days when they claimed their test Pontiac GTO did 0-60 in the low 5-point-something seconds... with street tires. This was at a time when 6 seconds to 60 was a REALLY fast car.. ok? And I'll never forget the laughable road test of a big honkin' full size Pontiac Bonneville 2+2 hardtop, comparing the sloppy handling favorably with genuine, well balanced GT cars of the day. Lying and exaggerating was their stock in trade, so I never read C&D regularly much less subscribed to the mag.

They did like the Alfas of the period though, the Spider-GTV-Berlina trio that sold so well in the '60s and '70s, and they reported fairly on them. I still have those road tests.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode