Giulia buybacks - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Giulia buybacks

There seem to be several Giulia buybacks with branded titles for sale that are up to 5k less. Can anyone share thoughts on this?

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

A lot of early Giulia buy-backs were due to electronic glitches that were ultimately traced to bad batteries. These cars are VERY sensitive to low voltage starts which will cause a huge number of error codes. Very few that I have seen or hear of have any actual hard part failures at all.

I would see if they can give you any service history as to the reason for the buyback or an extended warranty as part of the deal.

But IMHO - $5k off is not enough to bother with a car with a branded title. I think you can do just as well shopping around on new cars with clean titles.
HeavyMetalAlfa likes this.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The 5k off was off the normal used price of 25-26k.
There was a 2017 for 20,995 with 2,000 miles with only three reported instances on the car fax. Mainly electrical. I was seriously considering it but it has the garish red interior with red leather seats. I'm sure it's for some but I just couldn't do it. The branded title thing also was part of it but if it had the tan interior I might already be driving it.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I just signed the paperwork on a 2017 buyback. I should be picking it up tomorrow. The paperwork shows that the turbo was replaced, so I’m hoping that it was just a case of a manufacturing defect and I won’t have ongoing issues.

It’s a silver Q4 TI with the 19” sport package and pretty much all the other options except the panorama sunroof, which, living in Phoenix, I didn’t want anyway. I paid a little under $22k.
Renaldo likes this.

1968 Euro-spec 1750 GTV (still under restoration)
1973 2000 Spider
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
2017 Giulia ti Q4
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

If the car I got was a buyback I'd have done it. The laws in Florida and California make it very easy to return a vehicle. So much so that some buybacks are due to someone losing their job or something changed to make them not want the car. Anything can be fixed if it needs it so my biggest concern with buybacks is that in most states including Texas you get a "branded" title that stays with the car like a salvage title. Other than that, NBD. Congratulations!! If you like yours half as much as I like mine you are one happy camper! My only problem is the 74 GTV is already jealous.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So after driving the car for a couple days, I can safely say that I’m very pleased with my purchase. I have to admit that I do miss the third pedal, but I think I’ll get over that. These cars are pretty amazing to drive.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

1968 Euro-spec 1750 GTV (still under restoration)
1973 2000 Spider
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
2017 Giulia ti Q4
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

After all the rigmarole I went through to get my GTV to idle with the aircon on without dying the Giulia dies at idle. I guess the dealer can figure that our though. Or it would make a good Aggie joke.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
A lot of early Giulia buy-backs were due to electronic glitches that were ultimately traced to bad batteries. These cars are VERY sensitive to low voltage starts which will cause a huge number of error codes. Very few that I have seen or hear of have any actual hard part failures at all.

I would see if they can give you any service history as to the reason for the buyback or an extended warranty as part of the deal.

But IMHO - $5k off is not enough to bother with a car with a branded title. I think you can do just as well shopping around on new cars with clean titles.

Joe, don't know if you've seen the latest issue of C&D but it totally trashed the QV (or QF as some call it) in its 40k mile test due completely to electronic glitches. The car never stranded them or didn't start or had to be towed but no one could find any fixes for the glitches because they came and went sometimes multiple times. They are now telling everyone not buy or even lease a Quad because of their horrible experience. No one including the Alfa techs even mentioned let alone checked the battery. But it seems you have knowledge about these problems and their fixes with new batteries. So what's going on with Alfa that they didn't have this information for C&D? Have you had any of these problems with your car and if so what fixes were necessary.

This is the kind of crap Alfa can't afford to happen in front of the whole world and not have a clue as to how to fix these glitches besides throwing new parts on the car and still have the same problems. I'm pretty pissed at Alfa right now because they're screwing this thing up for the rest of us who have great reliable cars; and it's this kind of stuff that can shitcan the whole thing, for good.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamale44 View Post
Joe, don't know if you've seen the latest issue of C&D but it totally trashed the QV (or QF as some call it) in its 40k mile test due completely to electronic glitches. The car never stranded them or didn't start or had to be towed but no one could find any fixes for the glitches because they came and went sometimes multiple times. They are now telling everyone not buy or even lease a Quad because of their horrible experience. ....

This is the kind of crap Alfa can't afford to happen in front of the whole world and not have a clue as to how to fix these glitches besides throwing new parts on the car and still have the same problems. I'm pretty pissed at Alfa right now because they're screwing this thing up for the rest of us who have great reliable cars; and it's this kind of stuff that can shitcan the whole thing, for good.
Trust me, over on the Cadillac ATS forum and ATS Facebook groups, they are quoting that **** C&D article, and patting themselves on the back for their Caddy ATS/ATS-V purchases, never mind that the Caddies have had their niggling issues, and a BIG one is the GM Auto 8sp tranny - a class action lawsuit in progress. Granted, the issues with the tranny are smoothness/optimal performance related, not catastrophic. Still I take some offense to the 'gang mentality' where they all site the usual Italian car maintenance/reliability sad stories... not wanting to realize its just a small portion of production, and related to s/w... NOT hardware/design flaw.

In the meantime, Caddy ATS owners wallow in the same severe depreciation for their cars (due to poor Caddy/GM reputation) as Alfa Giulia owners. So I find it so disingenuous that these compromised Caddy owners are so willing to throw stones from their glass houses.

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT

Last edited by Renaldo; 07-22-2019 at 12:30 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'm a little confused. Is it the QV or the Quad they are talking about? Regardless they need to get their act together. At 23k my QV has been flawless. Going from a GTV daily driver to a Giulia there have been some issues but all can be traced to a loose nut behind the wheel. No doubt about it Alfa nailed it with the Giulia. It should be the car of the decade.
alfaloco, JCDK and Pedroplaya like this.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 AM

Friend of mine wholesaled his Ferrari FF because of repeated electrical faults. Ferrari North America would not authorize battery replacement for quite some time before the mechanic just decided to do it. Fixed all the issues but that was far too late for this new Ferrari customer. Bad tastes last a long time.

One tidbit about modern engines with stop/start systems: these are programmed to stop operating when battery voltage drops below a certain point. Since the software continuously monitors the main service battery during periods of engine stop battery faults can be detected very easily and early. The alternator also stops of course allowing for very accurate battery drain rate inputs into the stop start software. First thing to check if the stop start system doesn't operate reliably is the main service battery.
alfaloco and alfamale44 like this.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The impression I got from reading the owners manual, if you can believe that I actually read most of it, was battery voltage was a big deal since it was mentioned so many times in relation to things working or not working.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I'm a little confused. Is it the QV or the Quad they are talking about? Regardless they need to get their act together. At 23k my QV has been flawless. Going from a GTV daily driver to a Giulia there have been some issues but all can be traced to a loose nut behind the wheel. No doubt about it Alfa nailed it with the Giulia. It should be the car of the decade.

It's the Quad that C&D is talking about not the Giulia Ti, which by the way was named the best sport sedan on the market and the new Ultimate Driving Machine by Motortrend magazine.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
The impression I got from reading the owners manual, if you can believe that I actually read most of it, was battery voltage was a big deal since it was mentioned so many times in relation to things working or not working.
EXACTLY! so why in the hell didn't Alfa know this. Bulls*@t that's all it is.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM

The hell with the Caddy owners Renaldo I'm just really pissed at Alfa for letting all this crap transpire in the first place, especially since there is apparently an easy fix that could have resolved all the problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode