Giulia buybacks - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The model has changed: Nagging software and technical problems aren't solved anywhere but where they were originally designed, layer upon layer above the consumers return for warranty service.

. . .So the question is: does FCA has the management culture in place to attack these quality issues and beat these Lemon laws in a race for Alfa's reputation? …. I'm not weighing in, my wife told me to stop being so negative. :[

Pedro Playa
'73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
I have a Stelvio Ti was a 2018 demo I purchased with 6,000 miles not a buyback. It had any of the Stelvio updates to current. I have driven it 11,000 miles in the last four months, no issues and super happy. While I would have preferred a sedan I needed the room.

While the Quad halo cars need to be better, Alfa’s growth rides more on Stelvio success and I hope my current experience predicts the future. I am seeing more on the road and get unsolicited comments regularly to the good.

My car does not have Apple car play or Android auto and cannot be retrofitted easily without sourcing a lot of parts from a donor car and updating software! Doesn’t bother me too much but should have been offered from the start. My daughters mid level cx5 has better features. Am sure that is one of the reasons I had a great price on the otherwise spotless demo car. Oh, no shift paddles/sunroof/sport seats/premium stereo but yes on metallic paint, 19” wheels, advanced safety features, aluminum interior trim. It’s perfect for my weekly NJ to MA commute. A blast to drive. Quad would have been nice but a waste for my commuting.

If needed I can make it into a Stelvio Ti Super by doing an ECU flash, exhaust, 18x9 wheels from Alfa9, and sport seats from a wrecked car. Shift paddles a bit harder though.

If I want more fun, I have 2 GTV6s and will wait for the new GTV, or buy a used Guilia Quad or 4C.

Hope FCA gets this sorted out, these cars are fundamentally great but in super competitive spaces.
alfaloco and Renaldo like this.

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM

I'm a little lost on what's going on perhaps you can fill me in.

I went to the dealer last weekend and didn't like the 2019 but was really hot to purchase a Giulia when I initially saw them in 2017. The real driver for me was that I thought the car had a V6... The new model I saw just has a funky SOHC engine and is AWD, and the dealer said that it would be a special order to get a rear wheel drive car. he has two 2018's on the lot, should I avoid at all costs?

So did these cars EVER have a V6 or was that just initial hype. Maybe its not the Giulia that I should be asking for... There's no way I could spring for a 4C... My 92 spyder has a DOHC that only puts out 105Hp from its 2 liter but it sounds so fine maybe I should just sink 5K into it to get new paint, interior and door dings removed.... where's phantom works when you need them? I would like to know what I should ask it I were to post it for sale?

Tks Franco in springfield, va.
Attached Images

Last edited by FrancosAlfa; 07-29-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 PM

The Giulia Quadrifoglio has a V6, the Giulia and Giulia Ti are 4 bangers and that includes the Q2 (rear drive) and the Q4 (all wheel drive).
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 AM

I'm having second thoughts on this potential purchase. What's the dealer not telling me. Can someone explain the Buy Back situation? I love my 92 spyder. The dealer said he would take in in trade, but I have no idea what a fair price would be. I'm the second owner, (purchased in 94) the car has been well maintained, there's a new top that hasn't seen a day of rain since its a garage queen. I would post it in the For Sale section along with plenty of pictures. There's the door dings, and worn upholstery don't really bother me because its light and nimble even if its not blistering off the line.

I need more information, like price differences between Quadrifolio and various 4 banger, then there's the confusion over options like sports package, mediterranian etc. but the real question is why the buy back program?

thanks
Franco in Springfield Va
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

There is no "buyback" program. Certain states like Ca and Fl have very liberal lemon laws so much so that if you get a new car and decide you don't want it or can't afford the payments all you have to do is take it back to the dealer for a problem you made up and when it's not fixed the dealer is obligated to buyback the car. Granted there are some legit buybacks as there are from any manufacturer but people can and do lie, cheat, and steal just look at the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Aside from that all your questions can be answered if you do some research.
The fact you compare the two liter motor that is stock in the Giulia to the two liter Nords of old makes me suspicious. There is no comparison, period. Zero to 60 in 5.4 seconds is very respectable and that's putting it mildly. 60 to 100 is really quick too. I have two 105s, a Berlina and a GTV that have been fairly modified and I'd stick them up against most any two liter car of the period and the Giulia will blow the doors off them. My 2017 Giulia Q4 is the best car I have ever driven and for the price even better. Alfa nailed it! I bought the car with 22k miles on it and it looks and smells like it just came off the showroom floor. There is no apparent wear on anything. These car hold up extremely well.
alfamale44 likes this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Don't trade in the 92 SPIDER. Sell it privately on here or bring a trailer.

V6 is Quad model. The 4 cyl. Giulias are pretty awesome. I have a Q4 = AWD. Great car.

Price difference, depends, but roughly 20-30K difference between V6 Quad and 4 cyl. depending on options.

Not sure what "mediterranian" option is. Does it come with olives?

You need to do more research. https://www.giuliaforums.com is more involved than here.
go to the official alfa romeo site and compare options/prices.

I love my 2017 Giulia Ti Q4.
Attached Images

alfaloco and alfamale44 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I also love my Q4. Amazing machines, no doubt.
Attached Images

Alfissimo Int. and alfaloco like this.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
...but people can and do lie, cheat, and steal just look at the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Always some butthurt dude that has to bring up politics in a car forum.
scorpion1, SamW, Jim G and 2 others like this.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

an oblique reference at best

".....and sport seats from a wrecked car. Shift paddles a bit harder though."

I wouldn't worry to much about not having the paddles. I have them and don't use them at all so far. In my GTV I rarely use the tach to shift because my eyes have other things to concentrate on. The feel and sounds the car makes gives me the best indication of when to shift. The Giulia is so quiet I get none of that and the tach is all I have if I'm doing the gear changes. Perhaps I'll be able to seamlessly use the paddles when the time behind the wheel and the Centerline exhaust give me the input I need. Even then given the excellence of the transmission I doubt I'd be any quicker. Again I wouldn't worry about it.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:05 PM

I just met a man about my age (early 70s) who has had his Giulia about 18 months. "Best car he's ever had" and he's owned Ferraris and Porsches and he's a retired professional race car driver. Thinks they are incredible bargains.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
If needed I can make it into a Stelvio Ti Super by doing an ECU flash, exhaust, 18x9 wheels from Alfa9, and sport seats from a wrecked car. Shift paddles a bit harder though.
I would not assume the seat swap will be plug-and-play. The seats are coded into at least 3 modules in the car (BCM, CSWM, and ORM modules). Depending on your car's original specification, the Sport Seats may require a Proxi Alignment, some recoding, or may just not be possible.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

750-ALFA
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Let's get back to the issue of the numerous and unresolved electronic glitches experienced by C&D in their 40k mi test of the Giulia Quad. Joe you mentioned previously that these glitches had been traced back to bad batteries. Was this the work of Steve at Autonation Alfa/Fiat in Northglenn? I ask this question because I was just there getting an oll change and tire rotation when Steve happened by and we started talking. I mentioned the article to him but said he didn't have time to read it but he felt strongly that the battery was the problem. He said this was not a common problem but it did rear its ugly head inconsistently. He said a lot if not all the problems with the original batteries is that you don't know and can't find out the "born" date or how long they might have been sitting before installation. In the US that's not a problem finding this information but the cars come from Italy (Europe) and it's different there.

My car has been exceptional in every way for 24,000 mi but I had one incidence a few months ago with my Ti where the ETC lit up, triggered a check engine light and stayed like that for a day before it cleared itself. No problem could be found and it never happened again. But since I was there at the dealer I asked him to check my battery and it checked out as a BAD battery so he replaced mine under warranty. I asked him if this was part the inspection that is performed when a car comes in and he said no YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT. So there you go, Alfa most probably could have and should have saved itself a crap load of really bad world wide PR with just replacing the **** battery but instead just convinced, who knows how many, customers to completely bypass Alfa dealerships altogether. Way to go Alfa!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
My Lord! Only Alfa and FCA could screw that up, with the battery! Let’s hope a good long game can make up for the screw up.

Thanks as well for advice on the shift paddles (agree and I have learned to shift manually at the console), and the seats (will require more research if I do that). Right now enjoying the stock Ti drive but will at least do centerline/magnaflow or Alfa9/Remus exhaust for a better sound experience.

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Have to laugh, as when we bought our 89 Milano new, it didn't take any time for the Italian battery to die on us when we took our first trip with it right after we bought the car. Had to pull it and buy a new US made battery in a gas station in Chinle, AZ. No problems since then.

My opinion has been that, for one, I'm not sure the Italians can make good car batteries, and two, the lazy dealers seem to let them sit too long in a new car without being kept charged, thus they start to fail right away.
alfamale44 likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode