Giulia updates?

https://carbuzz.com/news/alfa-romeo-...ext-for-giulia

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
I agree that bringing a manual is not a value proposition for Alfa at this point, so I don't blame them, but I think dismissing manuals because the take rate is "literally nothing" shows that they have misunderstood their fan base- at least for cars like the QV. Manuals have much more of a reputation as a "budget" option in Europe and as such few premium car buyers want them. In the U.S., manuals are now mostly associated with sports cars- as sports cars (or hot hatches) are the only cars that still offer them here (with some limited exceptions). As such, the type of person who buys a QV is much more likely to want a manual here. That's part of the reason why BMW killed the manual in the G20 3 series but has stated they will keep a special version of the M3 available in manual.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
Well of course the take rate is zero if you don't even offer one.
PSk, Alfissimo Int., Del and 2 others like this.

1967 1600 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Figure heads like Tim Kuniskis worrying about infotainment joystick and cup holder should be working for Japanese car makers not Alfa.
Alfissimo Int. and Del like this.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, American buyers look at joysticks, infotainment, cup holders etc. It seems to me that some of you fail to understand FIATs motives here. They want to sell cars!

I want a manual tranny, and IMHO believe it was maybe shortsighted to not offer one if for only one reason. Most car aficionados prefer a manual, the Alfisti would be driving more newer cars, talking about them etc.

I recall years ago when searching for a new car, I used the internet for the 1st time. I wanted an Audi A4, and the comments from American reviews? Small cup holders kept coming up!

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Garage
Is a manual offered in Europe?

So make it a very expensive N American option - the hardcores like us will buy it, the extra cost might cover the logistics, they gain a better reputation in the magazines.

1967 1600 Spider
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
Im not sure , but I think no manual version of Giulia is offered anymore. There used to be Q and some diesel models with manual box.

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Is a manual offered in Europe?

So make it a very expensive N American option - the hardcores like us will buy it, the extra cost might cover the logistics, they gain a better reputation in the magazines.
Manual version is available for low power diesels only.
There is no chance to get manual with a gas engine. The share of orders was very low. If we are talking about QV, the demand for manual gearbox drop to 12 cars per month. It was the main reason to stop the production

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by howndog View Post
Unfortunately, American buyers look at joysticks, infotainment, cup holders etc. It seems to me that some of you fail to understand FIATs motives here. They want to sell cars!

I want a manual tranny, and IMHO believe it was maybe shortsighted to not offer one if for only one reason. Most car aficionados prefer a manual, the Alfisti would be driving more newer cars, talking about them etc.

I recall years ago when searching for a new car, I used the internet for the 1st time. I wanted an Audi A4, and the comments from American reviews? Small cup holders kept coming up!
I think you are absolutely right about typical American car buyers. However, QV buyers are very far from the typical American car buyer.

My point above was that American performance enthusiasts were likely to have a much higher take rate than what happened in Europe. The American take rate for the M3, as well as Porsche's decision to bring back the manual GT3 are good examples.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
...QV, the demand for manual gearbox drop to 12 cars per month. It was the main reason to stop the production.
Ah ha, so there were some! Get all the part numbers, track down a parts order, and swaparoo!

1967 1600 Spider
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:02 PM

How many of the "I'd never buy it because it doesn't have a manual" crowd here actually are/were in the market for a car, and bought something different because of it?

What did you buy, and when?
Alfissimo Int. and howndog like this.

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
Haha!! The newest car I ever owned had 50,000 mi! And that was in college!

The "sportiest" thing I've bought recently was an A4 Avant turbo /manual / quattro / sport seats... Ooo, luxury.....with 70,000mi. That's why I get a kick out of all the hand wringing over $50,000+ cars. If you want a new sports car, buy a Cayman S with a manual. These are big heavy sedans.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
How many of the "I'd never buy it because it doesn't have a manual" crowd here actually are/were in the market for a car, and bought something different because of it?

I was in the market in 2016 right as they were about to start shipping cars. The Giulia was everything I wanted except the wrong transmission. I bought a WRX STI instead (only available in manual).
Gepetto likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post

Unfortunately I'm not as loyal as you to just buy whatever Alfa offer to market........ I'm just bloody annoyed that I've been put in this predicament, after 4 brand new Alfas and having waited 6 years for the Giulia too now not knowing what to buy!!
FCA lose as I would have been a devote sales person for the new Giulia as I've always been in the past.

PS. I'll soon gain the courage to purchase a manual M2 and become and Bimmer Blockhead

Quote from the web: BMW Driver - Aggressive yuppie pr!ck who thinks they're an awesome driver. "I'm in a BMW therefore this lane is MINE!"

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
I am excited to see the new changes of the upcoming Giulia.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode