keyless ignition? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnalfa View Post
Unfortunately the Giulia ZF 8speed is NOT easy to unlock if the engine is not running. It requires that a special bolt be inserted into a lever underneath the car. First problem is the bolt is not supplied with the car. Second problem is that insertion requires reaching under the car. Would you want to try that on the side of a busy highway? Love the Giulia; just wish more thought had been given to emergency service procedures.
That's not related to keyless entry or keyless start. If you have your fob you can get into the car, start the engine and drive away, same as if you had a key entry and start. You open the fob, extract the metal emergency key and use that to enter the car, placing the fob on the designated spot will allow you to start the engine and disable the alarm.

The procedure you describe is to deal with the no key at all situation or transmission control failure. It's complex because it isn't needed unless you gave a serious fault. Then you shouldn't be driving the car anyway.

Obviously you don't want to make it too easy to take the transmission out of P without the key.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 03-09-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Gold Subscriber

Michael, I was responding to your comment that on your Jaguar it's easy to unlock the ZF. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how the British do this?

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI
1988 Milano Gold Automatic (new arrival)

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnalfa View Post
Michael, I was responding to your comment that on your Jaguar it's easy to unlock the ZF. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how the British do this?
Sorry. To the rear of the gear selector segment of the console is a removable trim panel. Under that is a lock, operated using a flat blade. I've used a dime. That frees up a lever connected to the Park pawl inside the transmission. There is a red fabric strap connected to the end of this lever, you pull that upwards and the transmission brake is unlocked i.e. the pawl is pulled out of the transmission lock in the same fashion as selecting P would do. The transmission is then in neutral and the car can be moved or towed.

This feature is part of both the 6 spd and 8 spd ZF transmissions. I guess different car makers access this feature differently. Jaguar utilizes this provision from the interior of the cabin.

Subsequently the awd feature obstructed this access point so a cable was run up into the engine compartment and connected to a similar release device operated by hand.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 03-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the clarification. If only Alfa had done something similar! BTW I understand that the Euro diesel Giulias do have some variation but for whatever reason it isn't installed in the gasoline models. Pity.

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI
1988 Milano Gold Automatic (new arrival)

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:34 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Cause found: https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/10/...arpark-mystery

Shows how easy it is to affect these stupid, unnecessary systems. Don't even need to steal anything. Wish I had been there, parked in my old fashioned 1750/156v6 and with a simple thing like a "key" unlocked my car, turned on the ignition and started the engine, and then just drove away in seconds ... maybe I should take out a patent for a mechanical device that permits entry and operation of an automobile
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Cause found: https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/10/...arpark-mystery

Shows how easy it is to affect these stupid, unnecessary systems. Don't even need to steal anything. Wish I had been there, parked in my old fashioned 1750/156v6 and with a simple thing like a "key" unlocked my car, turned on the ignition and started the engine, and then just drove away in seconds ... maybe I should take out a patent for a mechanical device that permits entry and operation of an automobile
Pete
So an Australian government regulatory failure means keyless entry in North America is stupid. The logic of that argument escapes me.

Your old fashioned key locks are easily defeated with a slide hammer or even a pair of barbers scissors in some cases.

As I pointed out, those Aussie car owners could as easily have used their metal key and driven away also.

Keyless entry, keyless start are very convenient, reliable and more secure than any hard key system.

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Hackers and thieves don't care about legistration, but you keep beating on about how awesome new cars are with their unnecessary features

Keyless entry is as useful as tits on a bull. My father's brand new car has it. He's never sure if the car is locked or not, and he embraces new tech.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Hackers and thieves don't care about legistration, but you keep beating on about how awesome new cars are with their unnecessary features

Keyless entry is as useful as tits on a bull. My father's brand new car has it. He's never sure if the car is locked or not, and he embraces new tech.
Pete
If you don't like new cars that's fine but they're all coming with these features you don't like. I'm curious why you keep expressing your dislike on threads intended to assist owners or potential owners of these new fangled cars.

Tell your dad to simply "lock it again" if he isn't sure. It'll flash lights or something similar if you try to relock an already locked car. Some keyless entry cars will even lock the car for you even if you press the unlock button but fail to try to open a door or the trunk lid. Clever eh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode