Giulia in Kimberley - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Giulia in Kimberley

Saw a new black Giulia in Kimberley BC on Saturday afternoon. I think it might have even had BC plates on it. It was cool, I waved but I was in my old green Honda Civic. Only the second time ever I have seen a new Alfa Romeo product out in the wild. Ironically, the last time was last year, also in Kimberley, that time I was at least in the 164, I waved then too but it was super last second as I was really caught off guard.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Will be interesting to see if owners/drivers of the new Giulias will wave to other Alfa drivers of older versions, let alone other new Giulias, as the drivers of older Alfas have done, including myself of course, and that of some other sports car marques.

Or, will the majority of new owners be a different breed, not recognizing the camaraderie of the owners of the other models of this marque.

Warning: rant below

I have found through years of observation that in general, owners of 164s wave to other Alfa drivers, but those drivers tend to not wave back unless they drive a 164. I think drivers of older Alfas tend to ignore the 164, perhaps even the Milano, even diss it on occasion. Maybe an example of this to me was the national conference in Olympia, and also the issues of the club magazine I have recently received, where there is no mention or pictures of 164s, just the older cars and the occasional new.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-28-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Del, I have been out in my 1965 Giulia sprint GT , and have had a few thumbs up (we tend not to wave in the U.K , from new Alfa owners , also when out in my 2018 Giulia , another thumbs up the other day from a nice 1750 GTV ,I think people who buy the new Alfas have an affection to the history of Alfa, it sets you aside from the crowd , although I sometimes think it could be "a I share your pain signal" Cheers Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Passed a Stelvio today, flashed the headlights and waved, but, alas, nothing back, as I figured. Just another SUV driver I guess. Also saw the Giulia Quadrifoglio in the doctor's office parking lot again.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Will be interesting to see if owners/drivers of the new Giulias will wave to other Alfa drivers of older versions, let alone other new Giulias, as the drivers of older Alfas have done, including myself of course, and that of some other sports car marques.

Or, will the majority of new owners be a different breed, not recognizing the camaraderie of the owners of the other models of this marque.

Warning: rant below

I have found through years of observation that in general, owners of 164s wave to other Alfa drivers, but those drivers tend to not wave back unless they drive a 164. I think drivers of older Alfas tend to ignore the 164, perhaps even the Milano, even diss it on occasion. Maybe an example of this to me was the national conference in Olympia, and also the issues of the club magazine I have recently received, where there is no mention or pictures of 164s, just the older cars and the occasional new.
Hi Del, I'm in Sydney, Australia and have a '67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. I find that drivers of all Alfas prior to the 156 and 147 will always wave to each other. 156, 147, 159, modern Giulietta and Mito drivers don't seem to understand the Alfa camaraderie. I suspect that most Giulia Quad owners would have owned other Alfas before and will probably wave. Not sure about the standard Giulia drivers though.

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce / 2014 BMW M135i / 2004 Ducati Monster 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode