The cheap Giulias are coming - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 AM

With the paddles, you drive most of the time in auto, but then on the twisty bits use the paddles to change down, then down again! It will hold the lower gear long enough, or if you hold the change up paddle for a few seconds it will resort to auto, you get the best of both worlds. But dont buy a Giulia without paddles!
Rutlefan likes this.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamale44 View Post
So if anyone here thinks that after 2-3 years they can get a car like this for +/-$20k you can keep smoking, drinking, shooting, or dropping whatever it is you're into because y'all are out of your minds.
While I hate to see depreciation coming so fast for those that bought early, I'm already finding < 30k Giulias searching on autotrader out west. Probably not to the same spec, but not stripped looking either. I've also seen some really aggressive leases lately too.

1978 Alfetta Sport Sedan | 1985 GTV Lemons Racer
Instagram: Alfaddiction
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Who talked about buying one for under $10k? I figure ~$20-25k, depending on the options, etc.
I will be looking for one in 1-2 years. Fully loaded ti. In white to replace my 164S. I can't decide on new or old giulia ti though... The new ones I have to agree do at first glance look like the rest of the crowd but up close they don't (under the body too). The 164 was kind of the same way. Looked like most cars of the time but then you look at it and it's nothing really like the rest of the herd. I have had some say it looks like a honda to a Eagle. I just laugh and drive on. I like the new giulia. It's not the old Alfa we all know but this is 2018. It's all we got for new Alfa's so you either like it or you don't. Can't drive your classic as DD (usually), at some point the thing becomes uncomfortable, problematic to the wife is sick of it and wants more luxury! ha! You just don't want to put miles on it either, we are not like the Porsche 911 gang putting hundreds of thousand miles on theirs without a care in the world.

Anyway, I am moving on from owning my 164 for 22 years, 23 in Jan.

I don't think these will devalue as much as the old ones have a few years after the warranty expired. That said maybe in another 1-2 years we will see the gremlins come out and it could devalue them slightly. I think they are well build and will be fairly reliable for years to come but with any car, they will have issues at one point.

I will be on the hunt for a good deal under 90K miles. I can handle refurbishing anything that needs to be done. I hope to buy it from an old alfisti not some newbie! lol

I look forward to what comes of the used market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 12-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:08 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
You just don't want to put miles on it either, we are not like the Porsche 911 gang putting hundreds of thousand miles on theirs without a care in the world.
I blame the cambelt for this. Other than the cost of fuel, the reason I was reluctant to keep running my 156v6 as a daily driver is it brings the cambelt replacement closer, and to be honest I'm a little bit nervous about doing this job. Done many 4 cylinders, and the 2 cam v6, but never a 24v v6 ... and access looks er, unpleasant.

In regards to a 105 series, they are bullet proof once you have removed all the previous owner BS, when they were cheap and treated to nasty repairs ... and I don't see how having say 200k miles on the clock would affect a 105's value if the car was well maintained and tidy.
Pete
Alfissimo Int. and Top Down like this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
In regards to a 105 series, they are bullet proof once you have removed all the previous owner BS, when they were cheap and treated to nasty repairs ... and I don't see how having say 200k miles on the clock would affect a 105's value if the car was well maintained and tidy.
Pete
Absolutely Agree. Like with any Alfa, they are fairly bullet proof after sifting through previous owners BS or adding to it. Depends on the new owner! Like piling it on or surgically removing it.

Honestly, if well taken care of, both 4 cyl and 6, even in a 164 can go many hundreds of thousand miles easy! Good points Pete!
Del likes this.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

I have both , a 1994 164LS and a 2018 Giulia TI Q4 as a daily driver. I've had the LS for 8 years and have been waiting for Alfa to return. I have only had the Giulia for 6 months and 2600 miles but I love the car; great handling, more than adequate power and I think attractive styling. My 164 is automatic and it doesn't bother me with our congested roads. In SPORT mode it's not a bad performer. Its handling is fine for me and the ride is very comfortable. Had been driving Acuras (TSX) while waiting for Alfa's return and the Giulia doesn't disappoint. Reliability remains to be seen but most people are finding the cars problem-free. My only concern was that I could not find one without the sunroof, which I didn't want from both a cost and problem perspective. So I leased for 2 years; then based on experience I'll either buy it or search for a new one sans sunroof. As for used pricing my $49k car has a residual value of 29K so it will be interesting to see where the market actually is.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI
1988 Milano Gold Automatic (new arrival)

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

$49k to 29k in two years! We should be seeing them in the low $20s by the end of next year. &#x1f91e;
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thats Alfa for you! I have upped my time line to the next 6 months to pick one up if plan works out. Looking for a white giulia ti sport, nero Q4 (or just RWD). Red interior. All the bells and whistles and kazoos. I am excited to see what I can do with this 4 banger. I will miss the busso though but you can't keep things forever.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Jason,
You won't be disappointed with the Giulia. I have a 2018 TI Q4 without the sport package. Stromboli Gray with tan interior. I don't have all the electronics; just the driver assist static package. It's fine for my usage. Have only 3000 miles but no problems; just had to have a couple of software updates. The car is so much quicker than my 164 and has great cornering ability. What it doesn't have is a lot of road and wind noise. Alfa really got their act together with this car.
Attached Images

Alfistaa and sjmst like this.

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI
1988 Milano Gold Automatic (new arrival)

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflp View Post
the car may be cheap, but the parts and repair will stay the same
I have both a 17 Giulia and 18 Stelvio. They are our daily drivers. Love hem both. I am sure I can get them cheaper used, eventually. As much as I love them they, like BMW's, should be leased, not owned if you use them daily.

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode