3Likes
  • 1 Post By Del
  • 1 Post By rags747
  • 1 Post By Michael Smith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

13,929 mile tire replacement

On our 2017 Giulia TI AWD both rear tires (stock Pirelli) had worn down to the steel belts on the inside edges. Of course we were on a road trip and the only tires available were Toyo Proxes 4+ AS. They seem OK. The Pirelli did fine last snowy winter in Montana. Be testing the Toyos soon. As a suggestion, please CHECK your REAR TIRES for inside wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Is this another example of Alfa setting tire eating suspension alignments in order to achieve what they think are maximum handling characteristics? They did this with the 164s with the extreme front suspension toe out and negative camber settings, later to be modified by Alfa, to values basically already chosen by alert owners, in order to reduce very excessive front tire wear.

Something to wonder about, pay attention to, and investigate by Giulia owners. Maybe the Giulia owners will also eventually see a revised suspension alignment settings bulletin from Alfa in the near future as the "Alfa alignment chickens" start to come home to roost, so to speak.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 11-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to jess
That’s how Italian roll...

I had to argue with the alignment guy to set zero toe at dealership too

Jess Liao
88 Milano Verde Gone | 95 164LS Gone | Currently Alfaless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

When I first noticed the adverse front tire tread wear on my new to me used (lease return) 91S in 94, I immediately started reducing the toe out until the wear seemed even across the tread as the mileage increased. When I finally had it checked, it turned out to be ~zero toe. Been there ever since.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:48 PM

I have a Q4 Ti with the same tires you have with 17,000 mi on them and no adverse tire wear at all. I did get a nail in one of the tires but was able to fix it with a plug and all is good. It looks like they are about 50% worn and I've driven them hard when the opportunity presents itself. They are not babied. How and where a car is driven obviously has a direct connection to tire wear so... I don't think your problem is a common one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Btw: re the 164s with 0 toe, did you notice any difference?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

No, except decent front tire wear, at least 30k miles on the 91S, even further with the LS which seems to have slightly less neg camber and driven a higher percentage of highway miles, the 91S being the suburban daily driver with many more sharper turns.

I suppose that if I drove at the limit, maybe on a track, I might notice a diff in turn in or some other handling characteristics, but not when sane on the streets, even on winding back roads driven with enthusiasm.
PSk likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 12-18-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamale44 View Post
I have a Q4 Ti with the same tires you have with 17,000 mi on them and no adverse tire wear at all. I did get a nail in one of the tires but was able to fix it with a plug and all is good. It looks like they are about 50% worn and I've driven them hard when the opportunity presents itself. They are not babied. How and where a car is driven obviously has a direct connection to tire wear so... I don't think your problem is a common one.
I just picked up an 18 TI Q4 Sport Sat. My cousin has a 17 same model. I asked him if he has had any tire issues to which he replied he has 26k miles and they still look good. Made me feel better...
alfamale44 likes this.

87 Maserati Biturbo Spider since new, 13 Abarth 500
16 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM

The OP either had a bad rear wheel alignment from the factory or just possibly had too much weight in the trunk. I would have made a warranty complaint had that excessive tire wear happened to me.

Edge wear is usually caused by incorrect toe, equal but excessive inner tread wear is due to excessive toe out. Camber wear is rarely equal left to right. Modern multi link rear suspensions are set to toe in under compression and rebound. There will be a short and adjustable toe link on each side and the exact setting will be critical for tire wear and handling. Toe out at the rear axle will make the car very lively especially under heavy braking when the car will feel like it is steering itself. Camber out of adjustment will not have this effect. Camber may or may not be adjustable on modern multi link, most often it is fixed.

Zero front toe on the 164 gives best tire wear at the cost of a tiny bit more understeer and slightly less sharp turn in. For very fast road driving at high cornering speed these are beneficial effects. Factory toe out gives a very responsive steering feel to what would otherwise be a fairly heavy steering feel. If you set the front toe at exactly zero or slightly toe out you get the best compromise for very fast road driving. Better for winter also. Zero toe does accentuate lift off tuck in, which I prefer especially in winter. The 164 dips her nose delicately and really hunts for the apex if you lift in a fast corner, just what you want. In fact, I had that experience just today at relatively slow speed driving to work. Last minute decision to turn hard right at the light, lift off, brake hard, turn in and wow, what a car. Slightly slippery, partially locked the front snow tires very briefly. Had to stop right away also after completing the bend. The 164 has an amazing chassis.
Del likes this.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Just had the 91S checked for toe, and the guy said it was zero, as I've tried to keep it. However, did notice that there was just a little more outside edge of the tread wear than the inside. I like to set the toe so that I get even wear across the tread on the 16 inch Michelins, so I readjusted the toe to just a smidge toe out. We shall see how that turns out. As compared to what I thought before, I do seem to get a little less full lock tire scrub and jumping in the wet. I had mistakenly thought the reduction in toe out might give me less, but it is the other way around, as the suspension is designed originally to have a lot of neg camber and toe out. It is interesting that the new Giulia seems to have some of that full lock scrub as well, according to what some have said.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode