https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-3/

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

So much for CU's writing that the new Giulia would be very substandard in reliability. Their anti-Italian bias shows.
jeffb99tx likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 AM

You got that right Del. My Ti has over 14,000mi and it has been perfect. As I've stated previously if I want to buy a toaster I'll consult CU.
Del likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

The trouble with the CU reliability surveys is that they are voluntary, not blind, don't represent all who own any given vehicle. As is usual, people with problems complain, but those who don't have problems usually never volunteer info. Thus the surveys can become pretty distorted. CU doesn't seem to recognize this.

Good for dishwashers maybe, but not vehicles.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Garage
The important take away is that it bested all of the German rivals in "quality"

I'd like to see what their survey criteria are, tho...
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:52 PM

Garage
75evo and Alfissimo Int. like this.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Reliability vs service

I own a Q4 Ti Sport and a QV. The Q4 has been fantastic. The QV not so much. What's driving me away from Alfa is the complete hassle the service side of the equation has been. I'm either ignored, or get non answers and non resolutions. Nobody seems to be excited or care about the product on the other side of the dealership. Perhaps that's because their time is measured in minutes while the car is under warranty. They're not paid to care, so they don't.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 AM

Patrick, it seems they want you taste the feeling of Italy. Historically here it's the same.
BTW, the worst, nastiest service in my local experience is BMW.
And the sole Mercedes I drove was the most problematic car ever owned.

That's why in our family garage there are automatic Toyota IQ and Suzuki Splash too as "tenders". This is a nautical example https://www.ligurianautica.com/event...xtender/36140/

Do you know this movie?
PatrickQV likes this.

Last edited by ItaliaCorsa; 01-05-2019 at 02:40 AM. Reason: adding a funny movie
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:38 AM

Carbon on the valves! True that. Needs an Italian tune-up.
I have a one year old 2018 Giulia Q4. NOT ONE PROBLEM. Running the Eurocompulsion ecu Phase One tune with the V1 intake and stock exhaust. No louder than stock, but lot's more power.
PatrickQV likes this.

ALFA ANDY
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM

No I haven't seen that film, but it looks funny! It's sad that the euro companies have such disdain for the consumer. It's cost Alfa this family. I have $140k worth of Alfa products on my property and they'll be gone in a couple of weeks. Yes, I'm taking a huge loss on them but I don't care. I'll be glad to be rid of the abandonment, the indifference, the complete lack of support. They had a chance at remaking themselves again but they didn't learn from their experience 30 years ago. It's the same old same old. I thought it would be fun and exciting but the only one feeling that way was me. Once I drove off the lot, it was *crickets* when I looked back to the hype, the glory, the bravado. Such a complex machine and Alfa doesn't even equip their techs to understand it. Everything is a secret. I don't even think Alfa understands their own product. Probably why Ferrari was keen to remove themselves from the circus that is Alfa Romeo. Not only have I as a consumer abandoned Alfa Romeo, I have also abandoned every company linked with their marque, and likely all Euro brands as well. I have never been a Chrysler fan either and this nails the coffin lid shut as far as they're concerned. Alfa, stai ascoltando?
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickQV View Post
No I haven't seen that film, but it looks funny! It's sad that the euro companies have such disdain for the consumer. It's cost Alfa this family. I have $140k worth of Alfa products on my property and they'll be gone in a couple of weeks. Yes, I'm taking a huge loss on them but I don't care. I'll be glad to be rid of the abandonment, the indifference, the complete lack of support. They had a chance at remaking themselves again but they didn't learn from their experience 30 years ago. It's the same old same old. I thought it would be fun and exciting but the only one feeling that way was me. Once I drove off the lot, it was *crickets* when I looked back to the hype, the glory, the bravado. Such a complex machine and Alfa doesn't even equip their techs to understand it. Everything is a secret. I don't even think Alfa understands their own product. Probably why Ferrari was keen to remove themselves from the circus that is Alfa Romeo. Not only have I as a consumer abandoned Alfa Romeo, I have also abandoned every company linked with their marque, and likely all Euro brands as well. I have never been a Chrysler fan either and this nails the coffin lid shut as far as they're concerned. Alfa, stai ascoltando?
I follow the Giulia and Stelvio forums.
Smells like troll to me.
cuorealfa likes this.

ALFA ANDY
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM

I'm no troll. I actually own two Alfas and have just had a really bad experience with the dealer I purchased them from. What must I do to convince you that I'm legit? I'm an actual consumer. The guy Alfa was trying to target. This is a very real, honest, heart felt response from someone dead center in the segment they were trying to target. Don't penalize me for telling the world what's going on. Our Q4 Ti Sport has been awesome. The Quad not so much. It's my dealing with the dealerships (yes more than one) that's soured the experience for me to the extent of wanting out.

Last edited by PatrickQV; 01-06-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Furthermore, I really wanted this to work. I bought into the resurrection of the brand. I put my money where my mouth was. But a year into it, I've just been overwhelmed by that horrible sinking feeling that I get when I need support and there is none. The sheer incompetence of the service department(s) is overwhelming when I look at how much I have invested in the brand.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Sorry for your distress.

What problems did you have where you ended up dissatisfied with the dealers? We hear your complaints but we do not know what led to your dissatisfaction. What were you really expecting specifically. Certainly not saying you might be a bad customer, there are those which every dealership dreads, as there are bad dealers we have all come across and that we as owners dread, but what were the circumstances, ie, what were you requesting, and what did they not do to address those concerns? Where do you live, where these dealers exist?

You do say the Q4 Ti Sport has been fine, but what really specifically led you to abandon the entire scene, en total. As one of many who are considering in some way a possible future purchase, I am interested in some details.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 PM

I had around 1/3 to 1/4 tank in my Quad. Went around a long sweeping left curve at some velocity. I didn't notice anything amiss until we stopped for gas at the next exit. I noticed the DNA was disabled and I was in limp mode. This was 428 or so miles total on the car. We were 240 miles from home at this point. Made it home and then drove another 130 miles to the dealership where I left the car for several weeks. They had cleared the codes and restored DNA to the car. When I retrieved the car, it was functional but it wasn't the same. It's not been the same car I purchased since the incident at 428 miles. When I inquired further they say it's fine. When the Alfa customer care folks call me I tell them, they advise me to contact another dealer. I call them. Speak briefly and he'll call me back. No further contact. I call back and leave a message, no response. Tell customer care and they work on it but haven't heard a thing back from them either. I would simply like the car I purchased and perchance speak with someone as passionate about the technical details as I am. Nope. So I have about 80% of the car I purchased and nobody seems to care. I need to feel supported in this major purchase, and this venture into the unknown. Leave me adrift and alone and I'll start looking for an exit strategy.
I had sold my wife on this idea when I purchased her Q4 Ti Sport and now she looks at me like I'm some kind of fool. She's right in her assessment. This whole experience has left me reeling and wanting to return to zero as fast as I can and leave this whole excursion into the realm of the unreal behind. Had I been supported, even a little, then things would have been a lot different. Left unto my own like this, adrift in the dark leaves my thoughts to grind on me at will, and I can't wait to undo the huge mistake I made by buying into Alfa last February.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode