Terrible experience with 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonclub View Post
You buy an expensive car, you car has an issue after less than a month, spend 6 weeks in service with a service advisor that is unprofessional and arrogant, nobody seem to understand what they are doing or what they are dealing with.
Par for FCA dealerships unfortunately. I'm a huge advocate for both FIAT and Alfa brands locally, but I have to warn people about the service department. They do not touch my cars... For people who are unwilling or unable to work on their own cars, I recommend they find an independent mechanic they trust, and be prepared to sue if they want to recover costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
The OP is suffering from FCA's total lack of foresight in setting up a capable dealership network for Alfa in the USA.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Ironically, I suspect the dealership is both incompetent and trying to appear knowledgable.
Sounds like my local dealership. They try to mask ignorance with arrogance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
This from AR technical documentation. Sorry, translated by Google from Italian
I do not believe we are talking about a Stelvio, but also surely they drove the car and deemed it unsatisfactory ... but heck who knows.

Oh and Alfa Romeo Spa is (I think) a registered company name. There are some Ford's that are made by Kia, but they probably have Ford written all over them ... anyway we are splitting hairs, who cares. If you like it buy it.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the article.
How can you find that and not the dealer?
That's incredible.... you know I really think this was the problem.
It was posted at autopareri forum by the member who owns Alfa Romeo Dealership
https://www.autopareri.com/forums/to...omment=2064387
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
Porsche tried to sell its customers on the once a year oil change...only to discover that even modern synthetic oils break down from moisture generated by the many short trips that modern city driving has turned into. Porsche went back to changing oil every five thousand miles or six months, which ever is sooner. I'm guess most Alfa dealers don't even know how to change the oil on the Giulia. And the factory sends the 4 cylinder owners a car without a dip stick...so the check your oil you have to sit in the car and let it idle for 5 minutes. That is absurd.
This is incorrect information. Synthetic oil does not break down. Ever, as far as anyone can tell. Oil changes are required when the filter becomes full of particulate contaminants.

Water condensation in the oil is only a problem if the car owner fails to drive for long enough to heat the oil to 100C so the water can evaporate. At my elevation 95C is high enough. The more oil in the sump the worse this problem gets. Alfa engines have far too much oil in their sumps as do Porsche, for normal city driving.

Modern engines cannot use much oil or will not comply with emissions requirements. Electronic oil level sensor systems are more reliable and accurate than a physical dipstick and far more convenient for the driver. It won't be long before they are accurate enough to block the starter from operating if low oil level is detected when you turn the key. As of now these systems are grafted onto sumps containing far more oil then is necessary, which of course is Porsche's problem.
shakingthrough likes this.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #35 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=Michael Smith;8249961]FCA made a huge mistake trying to set up independent FIAT dealerships having basically two models to sell: the FIAT 500 in its several guises and a tarted up Mazda Miata. Then gave them the Alfa Giulia QV to sell and service.

My Giulia was purchased from a Maserati/Alfa dealership. The service dept is equally poorly trained and incompetent. They did not even know there was such a model as the Q2

Last edited by Giulia2017; 06-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #36 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the article.
How can you find that and not the dealer?
That's incredible.... you know I really think this was the problem.
This is well discussed on the Giulia forum (a separate entity from this board). When you are 80% or 90% (or more) of full steering travel and going slow, the inside wheel will judder a bit--it feels alarming, like the front end is shifting in an unpleasant way, but it is natural and nothing to be concerned about. It is easy to do because of the steering ratio and somewhat large turning radius.

Sadly, FCA has little control over its dealers once they establish a franchise. Franchise protection laws make it very difficult for manufacturers to do much about low-performing dealers---they can't just yank the franchise license and give it to someone else. If they close a franchise, there are state guidelines about when and where they can open another one.

It sounds like the dealer has no clue what they are doing. I know you said that the CEO was nice, but ultimately he is responsible for the poor training, lack of loaner car, poor storage of your car, poor communication of repair work, and overall the total nightmare experience you have had. No wonder why FCA was slow to take action--if there was nothing wrong with the car in the first place, they would lean on the dealer to figure it out and put it back together.

No excuses overall, but I do hope that you give this awesome car another chance. I have over 5k miles on my 2018 and it has been a perfect ride (and a heck of a lot of fun). Never, never, let that dealers' service department touch another car of yours.

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)

Last edited by onethumb; 06-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #37 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 PM

My biggest fear, the continuing almost total lack of knowledge shown by a lot of dealers and unfortunately everyone of them around me. I could repair my Duetto, my GTV and Graduate when needed. Usually very simply and relatively inexpensive. But these new ones, though beautiful machines, are far more complex than they have to be and service departments do not have a clue for the most part. Besides, Chrysler freaks me out and Fiat.....well. Unfortunately no Giulia in the cards for me, as much as I want one. I already have a Giulia but she is my daughter.
Max Pershyn likes this.

Past Beloved Alfas: 1972 GTV 2000 1966 Duetto 1986 Graduate
post #38 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
This is well discussed on the Giulia forum (a separate entity from this board). When you are 80% or 90% (or more) of full steering travel and going slow, the inside wheel will judder a bit--it feels alarming, like the front end is shifting in an unpleasant way, but it is natural and nothing to be concerned about. It is easy to do because of the steering ratio and somewhat large turning radius.

Sadly, FCA has little control over its dealers once they establish a franchise. Franchise protection laws make it very difficult for manufacturers to do much about low-performing dealers---they can't just yank the franchise license and give it to someone else. If they close a franchise, there are state guidelines about when and where they can open another one.

It sounds like the dealer has no clue what they are doing. I know you said that the CEO was nice, but ultimately he is responsible for the poor training, lack of loaner car, poor storage of your car, poor communication of repair work, and overall the total nightmare experience you have had. No wonder why FCA was slow to take action--if there was nothing wrong with the car in the first place, they would lean on the dealer to figure it out and put it back together.

No excuses overall, but I do hope that you give this awesome car another chance. I have over 5k miles on my 2018 and it has been a perfect ride (and a heck of a lot of fun). Never, never, let that dealers' service department touch another car of yours.
After the experience I had with this forum and the Giulia forum I am actually now considering to take another one after I get my money back. The month of ownership I had with the car was amazing and I truly felt I had a special car. I just realized the hard way that if something happens in the future I should first try to solve it by myself, seek answers with the community of Alfistis, and just not only rely the dealer.
post #39 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Apparently Alfa is quite proud of this juddering feature and has trade marked the name Alfa link in connection with it.

As I suggested, Alfa does not use theoretically ideal Ackerman angles which allows them to dial in less understeer. Usually this is done by increasing the cornering force delivered by the rear wheels permitted by higher front grip.

This necessarily means that the inside front tire will judder at large lock angles and slow speeds. At higher speeds the tire will scrub across the road unnoticeably to the driver. This allows the loaded outside front tire to develop optimal grip while extracting closer to optimum grip from the inside front tire at higher speeds and lower lock angles. Optimum slip angles differ with tire loading.

The 164 uses the same reduced Ackerman angles to achieve its excellent front grip when combined with fairly aggressive front camber.

Low speed tire scrub and judder when parking is an acceptable compromise to achieve better higher speed handling and steering feel.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #40 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post

So who does your service if not a dealer? I'm not sure any of the independents in the Los Angeles area have had the chance to learn the cars.
post #41 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I feel sorry for the car

Pete
maseratiguy and AaronsSpider like this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 06-07-2018 at 01:20 AM.
post #42 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 AM

I have an '84 Spider, and my wife enjoys the car, too. When the 4C was introduced, I suggested we go to the local Fiat dealer (the largest in California) to see the new modern Alfas.

The paving leading to the showroom was cracked concrete and asphalt, with weeds sprouting thru the edges and an overflowing trash can right next to the front door. The showroom was cluttered and well on the way to dingy. The staff was nice enough, wearing polyester tee shirts. The car was amazing, but badly letdown by the setting.

My wife's recent leases have been Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, etc. Those dealerships have fountains, lobbies like 5-star hotels, service reps in suits and ties, and customer lounges like a high-end bar.

I love Alfas, the new cars seem like they could be winners, but FCA has a huge challenge to earn enough credibility to go up against the established brands. I sure hope they can find a way to make it!

David O'D
Laguna CA
AaronsSpider likes this.
post #43 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I feel sorry for the car

Pete
Me too!!
post #44 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:11 AM

Garage
After 20 years of driving every single model of 105's available, in 1998 I lashed out and purchased a brand new 916 Alfa Spider... one of the first in the country!! On the way home from picking up my BRAND NEW Spider, not more than 5 KM from the dealership, it started raining. Within a couple of minutes I had water dripping onto my right leg. Got home soaked.

Rang the dealer and told them what had happened and booked a time to take it back.

Dropped off the car and picked it up later that afternoon. They handed me a bill for nearly $2000!!! I asked why? The adjustment of the soft-top is not covered by warranty because it is subject to wear and tear like tyres and brakes pads!!

After paying $65,000 (back in 1998) at this dealer, they refused to give me the keys until the bill was paid. No wonder they are universally referred to as the "Stealership".

That was the last new Alfa I purchased, and to this day have no desire to own a new Alfa.

Hence the name.... Backto105!!
AaronsSpider likes this.
post #45 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 AM

Garage
BTW.... it still leaked water from the same corner of the roof.... right up till the day I sold it!!

Went back 2-3 times, S#@T fight everytime!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode