Terrible experience with 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:27 PM

So, tootling around at low revs isn't being gentle on your car, it's hurting it!
Viva the Italian tune up!
gmjohns likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
The engines are made by Ferrari for Alfa.
The Alfa engines, 4 cyl and V6, are made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles plant at Termoli south in Italy. The V6 engine was designed by a team lead by an Alfa Romeo employed engineer who came from Ferrari. Clearly technology was trasferred from Ferrari V8, so they call the Alfa V6 for Ferrari derived.

Map.
https://www.marklines.com/en/global/ita

News announcement:

Termoli to Produce Two New Engines for Alfa Romeo - FCA Space

G.
post #18 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Totally incorrect regarding Ackerman.

Where in hell do you get your information?
I could ask where you get your information about Ackerman but since it's all over the Internet and you are either looking in the wrong place or don't understand what Ackerman geometry actually is, I won't. I venture a guess that zero modern cars use theoretical Ackerman geometry. And zero race cars also. Pneumatic tires don't benefit from perfect Ackerman.

As for no break in period for modern engines and no early oil changes I refer you to the engine manufacturers who all agree on this. Oil makers also.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-05-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor K. View Post
The Alfa engines, 4 cyl and V6, are made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles plant at Termoli south in Italy. The V6 engine was designed by a team lead by an Alfa Romeo employed engineer who came from Ferrari. Clearly technology was trasferred from Ferrari V8, so they call the Alfa V6 for Ferrari derived.

Map.
https://www.marklines.com/en/global/ita

News announcement:

Termoli to Produce Two New Engines for Alfa Romeo - FCA Space

G.
Sorry, engineered by Ferrari. The point to be made was that it is not a FIAT engine. The four cylinder is a FIAT engine. There's another V6 in the FCA armoury based on the Chrysler Pentastar which has also been reworked by Ferrari and gets installed in Maserati or two. It's getting hard to tell the origin of engines. That Pentastar V6 was jointly engineered with Hyundai of all people.

post #20 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
There is no such thing as a FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Ferrari, Lancia or Maserati engine anymore, they are all made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

In the end, WHAT the engine has been designed for is far more important and what really counts, ie. was it designed to win F1 races or lumber up a hill pulling 40 tonnes and fueled by diesel.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:13 PM

Terrible dealership experience. It's your car if you want to change the oil at 1000 miles they should simply respond to your request.

I also wonder what the issues are with the front suspension of your car.
My QV makes scrubbing noises at low speed especially in the garage. I understand that is the nature of the beast and a compromise one accepts for incredibly handling at speed. Your dealer may be trying to solve a non problem.

Building and supporting a competent dealership network is the greatest challenge FAC has in the Alfa reintroduction campaign. Hope things work out for you.
post #22 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 PM

FCA made a huge mistake trying to set up independent FIAT dealerships having basically two models to sell: the FIAT 500 in its several guises and a tarted up Mazda Miata. Then gave them the Alfa Giulia QV to sell and service.

In Canada FCA made the mistake of attaching the FIAT brand to existing Dodge and Chrysler dealerships.

Neither had the skills or interest in marketing little Italian cars and a Japanese roadster.

At least in Canada FCA assigned Alfa to Ferrari dealers.

The OP is suffering from FCA's total lack of foresight in setting up a capable dealership network for Alfa in the USA. In Canada the FIAT brand is basically dead again, although it was in reality DOA. Alfa has a fighting chance as the entry level brand to Maserati and Ferrari.

Absent better details from our OP I suspect the front suspension noise is tire scrub from the steering angle alignment chosen by Alfa, reduced Ackerman. Ironically, I suspect the dealership is both incompetent and trying to appear knowledgable.

This is the ARDONA fiasco all over again.

post #23 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM

This from AR technical documentation. Sorry, translated by Google from Italian

Quote:
STEERING GUIDE - CORNER OF ACKERMANN

The particular type of front suspension used for Stelvio (Alfa ™ Link) has been studied and developed to obtain the best dynamic performance in all driving conditions.

In particular, the quadrilateral scheme with semi-dual steering axis with double swing arm allows the variation of the Ackermann angle as the steering angle changes.

The angle of Ackermann is given by a different steering angle between internal and external wheel.

This feature, which is normally reserved for the most prestigious sports cars, has undergone a specific set-up in order to guarantee the lowest understeer possible in all driving conditions and thus to allow Stelvio a better dynamic driving with greater safety and driving pleasure.

In particular driving conditions with fully steered wheels it is however possible to generate a slight drag of the inner wheel which can be perceived as a tire hopping accompanied by noise.

This phenomenon, called chattering, is influenced by the following parameters:

Characteristics and temperature of the road surface
Type of tires
Tire pressure
Steering angle
Maneuver speed
The noise that is felt in the driving condition described above is therefore determined by the parameters listed above and must NOT be considered an anomaly or a defect in the car.

This phenomenon is inherent only to specific project choices desired to pursue the maximum result in terms of safety of the car, does not affect in any way on dynamic safety or even deterioration of tires or any other mechanical component.
76Satisfaction likes this.
post #24 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonclub View Post

Well done Alfa Romeo . your come back in USA is a success, you are following the path of Fiat and their wonderful consumers rating in this country!
Since Fiat owns Alfa. Their following the path they always have.

Also all new models have teething problems. Especially in this day and age when everything on the car is controlled by a computer. Its not just Alfa all of the European manufacturers reliability has slipped compared to 20 plus years ago. When cars were still fairly simple compared today.

When you throw in a manufacturer coming back into the U.S. after 20 years and having to train mechanics on cars that have no real world miles on them. A lot of problems are going to take time to fix.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #25 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
There is no such thing as a FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Ferrari, Lancia or Maserati engine anymore, they are all made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

In the end, WHAT the engine has been designed for is far more important and what really counts, ie. was it designed to win F1 races or lumber up a hill pulling 40 tonnes and fueled by diesel.
Pete
Current Alfa Romeo are made by Alfa Romeo Spa
post #26 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Sorry, engineered by Ferrari. The point to be made was that it is not a FIAT engine. The four cylinder is a FIAT engine. There's another V6 in the FCA armoury based on the Chrysler Pentastar which has also been reworked by Ferrari and gets installed in Maserati or two. It's getting hard to tell the origin of engines. That Pentastar V6 was jointly engineered with Hyundai of all people.
V6 was not engineered by Ferrari. V6 and L4 were designed mostly by Maserati technicians. Ferrari was not involved in the development at all.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.
post #27 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
Current Alfa Romeo are made by Alfa Romeo Spa
And its still owned by Fiat.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #28 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Porsche tried to sell its customers on the once a year oil change...only to discover that even modern synthetic oils break down from moisture generated by the many short trips that modern city driving has turned into. Porsche went back to changing oil every five thousand miles or six months, which ever is sooner. I'm guess most Alfa dealers don't even know how to change the oil on the Giulia. And the factory sends the 4 cylinder owners a car without a dip stick...so the check your oil you have to sit in the car and let it idle for 5 minutes. That is absurd.
post #29 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
And its still owned by Fiat.
Yes, Jim, you are right
It is 100% owned by FCA Italy S.p.A. Registered in Turin. Share capital is 120,000 Euro

There is also another company 100% owned by FCA Italy S.p.A - Alfa Romeo U.S.A. S.p.A. Registered in Turin. Share capital is 120,000 Euro
post #30 of 172 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
This from AR technical documentation. Sorry, translated by Google from Italian
Thanks for the article.
How can you find that and not the dealer?
That's incredible.... you know I really think this was the problem.
76Satisfaction likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode