Terrible experience with 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 172 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:01 PM

I don't get the sense of comparing old Porsches to a modern Alfa, sorry. The Giulia is an ok car by current standards. The Q may be an excellent sport sedan, but only for a few laps. It's an Alfa. I have an old Alfa and an old Porsche. The Alfa is always broken, the Porsche starts every time and runs forever. If The Porsche needs a part, it's available immediately and the quality is excellent. If the Alfa needs a part, you can't find it. When you find it it's aftermarket junk. Bottom line, in terms of quality or relative experience nothing has changed with either brand in 50 years.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Last edited by Alfistaa; 10-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 172 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I think it's not much a problem with the car as it is with the service. Why waiting so long to get something fixed... unheard of. With proper maintenance I've had older alfas that proved utterly reliable even for daily (I was using an Alfetta as a daily for 7 years straight(!), left me stranded only twice, once it was just an accessory belt, the other a problem I solved 48 hours later).

I have friends with new Alfas, Giulia, Stelvio, not hearing of anything out of the ordinary. Know people with 164's that have over 400,000 miles on the odo and still running very well! We just do maintenance on time, change the oils... dunno what to tell you, maybe it's just my luck (or yours).

They MUST fix your car in a Jiffy and give you no pain, I'd write to alfa HQ in Milan and demand immediate resolution.

Hope this resolves!

Concours quality alfa romeo factory decals & resto items. Interior light lenses for Giulia series with / without clear window, email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- MtCarmelSpares.com
post #168 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM

I bought a 2018 Quadrifoglio on October 1, and it has been flawless so far. I have yet to visit the dealer for any reason. Just have to keep blowing up those tires. My brother-in-law has a 2017 QV that is 2 years old and has been to the dealer twice: once for an AC issue and the other for routine service.

However, these cars are still pretty rare, and they are complicated. The experience of local mechanics is limited, and sometimes they make mistakes or do not know what to do. Alfa needs to do a better job supporting the dealerships with expert help when things fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Shows how interesting the world is. My experience with Porsche was that they were well made but flawed in basic design. And the cost of service and parts was not commensurate with the value of the car or its performance. This has been a continuous reality in Porsche going back to the 356. When I vintage raced my 1965 Giulia (with 2 liter engine) continually could beat the 2 liter 911 cars with the exception of the light S models. When I bought my first Alfa, a 77 Alfetta Sport Sedan, it was both my daily driver and my time trial track car. Never a dnf...on the track or in daily use. My recent Porsches were a 2003 996, then a 2006 997S, and then back to a 2000 996 cab. The 2003 was a manual, the later two were tiptronic. Of the three the 997 S was my favorite and the fastest. And strangely I sold it after three months. My rentry into Alfa's (I stopped driving them in 1994 when they pulled out of the US market) began with idle curiosity. I started looking at some YouTube video from owners of the new Giulia..and finally I went for a test drive in a TI Lusso. I went home and thought about it for 5 hours, discussed with my wife whether we could trust Fiat Chrysler to now bail on the US market again, and I drove back to the dealer and bought it. Actually leased it, not 100% in trust with Fiat Chrysler. I beat on the car every time I'm in it. Though I don't like going on a track without proper competition harnesses, I did it once just to see how it compared to other cars I've put on tracks. The Giulia was absolutely wonderful. The brakes took lap after lap after lap after lap (many more than 3) and never faded. That was also true with my Alfetta. The Giulia never overheated nor showed any other sign of distress. The same was true with my Alfetta. In terms of bang for the buck, I have zero complaints about my Giulia. My favorite Porsche of all time was my 1995 993. That was also a great car and I wish I still owned it. However as a Porsche racing mechanic described it, "Porsche put 50 lbs of s**t in a 5 lb sack." and that makes the cost of maintenance too steep for my retiree's wallet. As I look to the future when my lease is up, I will probably go forward/upward...or backwards. Price will play a part...but more so technology and modern trends. While I like how much of the technology has improved performance, I don't like all the baggage that comes with it. And being able to go 170+ mph has zero meaning for me. Still...I might give a 4C (preowned) another look, though they seem too small for me. And I haven't ruled out looking at a lease returned QV Giulia...or at least I'll give it consideration. My first choice...if the market takes a big enough hit, would be a 1970s Ferrari 308gt4. I remember when they were being given away in the low and mid 20s. Who knows...maybe it could happen again. I like them even though a modern Honda Civic could eat their lunch on a track. I like them because they have a small back seat for stuff, and are mechanically simple...a person can actually work on them with some jack stands and tools. And they are very sensual to drive. And if that is not to be...then maybe a Mondial coupe could do the job. The 8s were dog slow and needed some electrical upgrades. But a shabby but mechanically sound QV might just be the way to go. I owned a 308 GTSi for several years and it was absolutely great...again it was my daily driver...to work, to the market, to jury duty, to the vets...it was my only car.
post #170 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"The Alfa is always broken, the Porsche starts every time and runs forever. If The Porsche needs a part, it's available immediately and the quality is excellent. If the Alfa needs a part, you can't find it. When you find it it's aftermarket junk. Bottom line, in terms of quality or relative experience nothing has changed with either brand in 50 years"

Kinda have to laugh a little at this, as I've used Alas as daily drivers for decades, have been across the country a couple of times in them, and covered the West on numerous vacation trips as well. Failures, yes, but almost of them were due to my neglect in service. Left only a couple of times. One in town, towed to house, and the other I fixed myself in Nowhere, Wyoming. Have generally found any part I've needed (lol, yes, one time years ago I had to send a telegram to the factory asking for a part, and they sent me a parts book and said just order from us).

If you do the proper maintenance, pay attention to worn out pieces, change fluids when it is called for, generally keep them stock, ie, don't try to make it into something it isn't (such as slamming it, etc), and don't beat the car by rough/careless driving, IMO, they hold up rather well. I think incompetent/careless dealers/mechanics are more of a problem for the most part.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #171 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Porsche has its QC problems. Pre 1978 or so they evaporated before your eyes from rust. The early Boxster engines had porous casting issues that took out a few engines before Porsche solved the problem. Then the infamous IMS bearing which was a result of some questionable engineering decisions, also since fixed.

The biggest drawback to choosing a Porsche over an Alfa is then you have to drive a Porsche instead of an Alfa.
Del likes this.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #172 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

High school friend of mine has a 2000 Boxster. He doesn't drive it much because he doesn't know what else could be bad besides the problems they had with that early model. Lol, he just keeps it shined up and in the garage.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode