Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Giulia (2017-current) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-2017-current/)
-   -   No dipstick? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-2017-current/632785-no-dipstick.html)

Giulia2017 01-17-2018 01:23 PM

No dipstick?

Reading my manual I saw that there is no dipstick for monitoring oil levels.
It is done electronically and available on the dashboard. That makes sense and was a long time coming.

Del 01-17-2018 02:10 PM

Really? What with previous Alfa oil level sensors working as well as they do, lol, I would say that nothing beats a real mechanical non-electronic dipstick for reliability and ease of use.

Michael Smith 01-17-2018 04:52 PM

New type emissions compliant engines aren't allowed to burn any oil so they don't.

Electronic dipsticks are failsafe in that they indicate on the dash when they aren't able to check oil level. The technology is very reliable and very accurate.

Giulia2017 01-17-2018 04:57 PM

I'm all for it.
Like most on this forum I'm more accustomed to 20-year old Alfas so this was surprising.
My 2017 Mustang doesn't have it.

Max Pershyn 01-17-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulia2017 (Post 8019249)
Reading my manual I saw that there is no dipstick for monitoring oil levels.
It is done electronically and available on the dashboard. That makes sense and was a long time coming.

2.9 V6 has it, 2.2 Diesel has it as well, but it can be reached by service personal only.

Del 01-17-2018 05:27 PM

"New type emissions compliant engines aren't allowed to burn any oil so they don't"

Uh huh. We shall see. If they don't burn it, will engine seals last forever, so no leaks? I don't think so.

Why bother to even put another light on the dash if it will never be used? If it comes on, I suppose you are to drive to a dealer to add more oil, or is there a place to even add oil?

Jim G 01-17-2018 05:43 PM

Mercedes has been using the system since the early 2000's. Works fine.

Del 01-17-2018 05:46 PM

Sure didn't work in some other cars, having a high failure rate for the sensor. Our cars were failures, but no worries, as we are very likely not going to buy a newer car.

JoeCab 01-17-2018 06:45 PM

The 2.9L TT V6 in the Quadrifoglio is a compromise; it has the electronic sensor but also has a dipstick.

I've checked once or twice and they seem perfectly synced to each other - when the electronic sensor showed one bar below full the dipstick was also just a little bit below the top marking.

Gubi 01-17-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Smith (Post 8019953)
New type emissions compliant engines aren't allowed to burn any oil so they don't.

Heh...you go on believing that.

sloboy89 01-17-2018 08:32 PM

My Audi Q5 2.0T has a tube for use by the dealership but no dipstick. Through some investigation, I figured out that there is an Audi part number for a dipstick, but the dealer parts department doesn’t have knowledge of it.

At first I asked them if I could order a dipstick (after the electronic sensor failed), they said that there was no such thing. But when I figured out the part number (from an online Audi forum), I called the dealer and asked for that part number. They said the warehouse had them in stock. Interestingly, they said that the part number was not associated with any vehicle.

Jim G 01-17-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloboy89 (Post 8020361)
My Audi Q5 2.0T has a tube for use by the dealership but no dipstick. Through some investigation, I figured out that there is an Audi part number for a dipstick, but the dealer parts department doesn’t have knowledge of it.

At first I asked them if I could order a dipstick (after the electronic sensor failed), they said that there was no such thing. But when I figured out the part number (from an online Audi forum), I called the dealer and asked for that part number. They said the warehouse had them in stock. Interestingly, they said that the part number was not associated with any vehicle.

If the Audi one is like the Mercedes one. Its just an extra long rod with measurements one it. You then have a sheet with the different engine classes that tells you what number should be when full. It can not be left in the tube as it doesn't seal. Mercedes also uses the same rod for the trans dipstick.

To find it for Mercedes it actually in their special tool catalog.

sloboy89 01-17-2018 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim G (Post 8020385)
If the Audi one is like the Mercedes one. Its just an extra long rod with measurements one it. You then have a sheet with the different engine classes that tells you what number should be when full. It can not be left in the tube as it doesn't seal. Mercedes also uses the same rod for the trans dipstick.

To find it for Mercedes it actually in their special tool catalog.

You're referring to the tool used by the dealership for multiple vehicles. What I ordered and installed is an actual dipstick specific to the 2.0T engine. See below with orange handle. I wish I could do the same for my BMW.

Jim G 01-17-2018 09:00 PM

Thats good that BMW did that. Mercedes doesn't give you that option.

Subtle 01-17-2018 10:02 PM

My 08 BMW 535 xi Wagon, that has been my DD since 2010, doesn't have a dipstick.

No problems.

:)