Possible Spare tire choices info requested for Giulia? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Possible Spare tire choices info requested for Giulia?

This was posted over on AROC-USA tech forum has anybody looked into this?

"Has anyone found a source for a space saver tire/wheel that will fit the Giulia's PCD 5x110 lug pattern and hub center bore 65.1mm? "

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Does the Giula not come with a spare tire? "I know BMWs don't come with them nor do they have a spare tire well. Owners are left with buying spares and having them take up space in the trunk

Brian __________________________________

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 AM

The North American Giulias comes with RFT standard as do BMW and mini.

As far as I could see there's no spare tire well so you cannot carry the space saver anyway.

Nobody needs to carry a spare tire these days.

A cell phone is more useful than a spare tire anyway.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I beg to differ.
Del likes this.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

One should look at the spare secured in the trunk of a 101 Sprint.

Takes up half the space. Relatively speaking the new Giulia has lots of room for a spare and jack.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Nobody needs to carry a spare tire these days"

Friend of mine with a Boxter S ran over something on the I-90 freeway in the middle of eastern Washington, and it tore a hole in the sidewall. So long tire, no fixing that. He did have a space saver spare, otherwise he would have been screwed by the side of the road. He did find out that the size tire he needed was not available within a couple off hundred miles. Could have had one shipped to him, but that would have meant he would've had to spend a night or two waiting for the shipment. So, he limped home 200 hundred miles at ~50 mph, but at least he had a spare.

I once checked the air pressure in the tires of one of our Alfas I was going to take on a trip, just before we left. Got a couple of hundred miles down the road, and tire went pretty flat, leaving us by the side of the road in the mountains. The air evidently leaked out of the schrader valve because dirt or something may have gotten into the valve and let it leak. Good thing we had a spare, otherwise we would have had to wait in the boonies for someone to drive by (as we had to when the 91S idler pulley bearing blew up in Nowhere, Wyoming).

Also, on one of our trips through Wyoming, we hit a pothole in the I-80 freeway (pavement damaged by all the truck traffic. We were doing about 80 mph, and it was a pretty big impact. Steering wheel ended up shaking a lot, so limped to the nearest town. Checked the wheel and tire at the nearest Discount Tire store, and found out that not only was the wheel bent, the tire had a huge bulge on the inside sidewall, evidently from broken cords. Nice to have a spare (the store didn't have a tire in our size at all).

So, yes, modern tires are well designed and pretty strong, but stuff still happens, so I would say that unless you spend all your driving in the city or suburbs, spares of some sort are still handy.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 12-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM

In over 40 years of driving I have not had to change a tire using the spare in the trunk. Not once. That's over 1m km.

The cost benefit analysis of carrying around a jack and spare tire does not yield any net benefit. You put your finger on the more normal reason a modern car might get stranded beside the road. I've had to call for a tow multiple times for reasons other than a flat tire. It is irrational to carry a spare tire of any type.

Also, those spare tires are dangerous to use after 7 years in the trunk. Try to buy a replacement some time.

I say again, just rely on your cell phone and call for a tow truck if you get a flat tire. Safer and way, way cheaper.

Run flat tires are a marketing gimmick aimed at the soccer mum set who usually could not physically change a spare tire anyway. Those nervous ladies should just rely on the cell phone. My wife does. She calls me and I call the tow truck....

Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
Prior to driving from Connecticut to Montreal for the convention, I did a number of checks on my car. My plan was to avoid highways and run local roads, some rural, so I felt a spare tire worthwhile. When I looked into the wheel well (never thought to look in there before), realized that while my car had 15" rims with fresh tires, the spare was the original 14" rim with a very old tire mounted on it. No problem, I had a new 15" rim that came with the car. I went down to the tire store and asked for an inexpensive tire to mount as a spare on my 15" rim, same as the others. As we pulled the old tire out of the well, we realized how tight the fit was and, yep, a 15" tire same as the others would not fit into the well. I ended up mounting a new, cheap tire with a higher sidewall on the 14" rim, roughly matching the overall diameter of the other four tires that could still fit (tightly) in the wheel well. At least, in the case of a severe blowout on a country road, I could change my own tire and limp to the nearest town without waiting for a tow that might take a long time to come. It was cheap insurance, maybe 50 bucks. That said, for where I live and usually drive, Triple A gold gives 200 miles of tow coverage and I've used it a number of times on both of my vintage cars. So although it would be a very rare occasion that I would actually use that spare, I felt it was a good solution to having one on hand. And I still never look in there anyway.
Del likes this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"I say again, just rely on your cell phone and call for a tow truck if you get a flat tire. Safer and way, way cheaper"

Easy for you to say, unless you have trouble out in the boonies. As I said, if you drive in the city or in the suburbs, it does work well to just use your cell phone and call for close by help. Been there, done that. Cell phones don't work everywhere, and there may not be tow trucks everywhere, as we discovered. We like to drive across the SW, and trust me, there are lots of areas where your plan would be difficult. I guess we are to stop making those drives?

" It is irrational to carry a spare tire of any type"

Seems a lot of things people do appear to be irrational to you, lol. That's ok.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Not everyone drives their cars on paved roads where there is constant traffic and ease of rescue.

I frequently drive my car into the mountains on dirt roads where there is no cell phone coverage, no other people, no AAA or tow trucks.
Del and Subtle like this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
"Has anyone found a source for a space saver tire/wheel that will fit the Giulia's PCD 5x110 lug pattern and hub center bore 65.1mm? "
The Stelvio has a compact spare as an option, so the best bet would be to buy one of those, as the PCD, center bore, and offsets will be roughly the same as on a Giulia. If anyone would like I can price this spare out for them.

The "tray" that it fits into may be swappable as well.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

750-ALFA
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hhhmmmm?

I wonder if the new Giulia has jacking points?

Well, how modern can you get?

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
And I understand not all wheel options on Giulia have RFT

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:23 AM

The current no spare tire solution apart from RFT is a can of goo and an inflator. The majority of flats are penetrating by nails and other urban debris. Tire failure is basically unheard of in remote rural areas.

I was amused by the suggestion that I might not drive much on gravel roads or in the boonies away from cell phone coverage.

When I do I do not experience flat tires.

I think buying an entire Stelvio just for the space saver spare might be a bit excessive, just buy the rim and tire.

Space saver tires are inherently irrational. What space can they possibly save? They should be described as money saver tires. Cost of the never used spare is lower. Not having one is cheaper still.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Sorry, been burned at least once, won't be burned again. I can easily live with that, even if you can't.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode