New Giulia QV ordered, make me feel good - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

New Giulia QV ordered, make me feel good

I have one currently being built for delivery in Jan, BUT I am scared. First, everywhere you look, they talk about the reliability problems with Alfa. Then I go to look at the lease possibilities and I see that the banks have very little faith in the car because the lease is terrible. My Italian wife says to me,"Even Italians know not to buy an Alfa." Everything is screaming don't do it.... problem is that I drove one for 5 minutes and that' that. Tell me that they have worked out the gremlins for 2018, tell me it's not going to leave me on the side of the road. Tell me that this leap of faith will pay off, and it won't be worth 20k in 2 years!
Antonio105 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia named Motor Trend Car of the Year - Nov. 27, 2017
Antonio105 likes this.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:44 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Everyone that I know loves their Giulia! One has been in the shop a few times but never 'stranded' on the side of the road. That one needed work on the Navigation system and once went into 'limp home' mode but after shutting it off and restarting it was OK. I would suggest finding a dealer that is enthusiastic about Alfa's.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatzamattayou View Post
New Giulia QV ordered, make me feel good
Look, it wouldn't be a real Alfa if there weren't a few missing parts and all the nuts and bolts had been tightened. Just look as it as getting modern car performance with classic Alfa build quality.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

The deal is pretty good, only place I found willing to sell for 5k under MSRP, even on a new build not just whats on the lot... I want a brand that I can really get into... my current AMG Merc has been a huge disappointment as far as club and social events for the brand
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM

The QF is more like a four door Ferrari than a traditional Alfa.

The faults people have reported are mostly software glitches. If so these are fixed by software updates not replacing parts. By now the software should be robust.

Alfa makes good quality cars, just not necessarily right off the showroom floor. My 164 suffered from a series of expensive parts failures in the first 6 years. Now at 26 years old it is remarkably reliable.

And you just cannot buy that undefinable Alfa 'ness anywhere else.

Buy, drive the wheels off it and enjoy. Plan on keeping it for quite a while. These cars are made for long term enjoyment.
Renaldo likes this.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:43 AM

Garage
everyone talking about Alfa reliability seem to never have owned a bmw or mercedes, for gods sake i bought a brand new ML350 in 2011 and it turned out to be a lemon, 16 times in the shop in 22 months! I have a bmw x5 diesel check engines lights come on every 3-4000 miles. I have owned bmws in the past and same story. Its not that they are unreliable they are just very delicate.

All the reliability issues that Alfa suffers from are related to 30 years ago experience with different cars, different factory different era of manufacturing! Why cant Americans grow out of this way of thinking?!! Kia 30 years ago was garbage, now its rated n.1 - things change, your mind sometimes should too.

Go to any BMW or Mercedes forum (forget about the VW group - that is a nightmare) and see what people go through.

Congratulations on your new car, you are going to love it, you are going to have issues with it, you are going to know it more and more as times goes by, just like any other car. Stick with your decision and just enjoy it - people that complain about it are just social media heros hiding behind a keyboard
Alfissimo Int. and howndog like this.

1972 Gt Veloce 2000
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio105 View Post
everyone talking about Alfa reliability seem to never have owned a bmw or mercedes, for gods sake i bought a brand new ML350 in 2011 and it turned out to be a lemon, 16 times in the shop in 22 months! I have a bmw x5 diesel check engines lights come on every 3-4000 miles. I have owned bmws in the past and same story. Its not that they are unreliable they are just very delicate.

All the reliability issues that Alfa suffers from are related to 30 years ago experience with different cars, different factory different era of manufacturing! Why cant Americans grow out of this way of thinking?!! Kia 30 years ago was garbage, now its rated n.1 - things change, your mind sometimes should too.

Go to any BMW or Mercedes forum (forget about the VW group - that is a nightmare) and see what people go through.

Congratulations on your new car, you are going to love it, you are going to have issues with it, you are going to know it more and more as times goes by, just like any other car. Stick with your decision and just enjoy it - people that complain about it are just social media heros hiding behind a keyboard
Amen! I'm so tired of lazy auto writers bringing up 40-year-old stereotypes.
Antonio105 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Garage
it just pisses me off that everyone races, pays a premium for the most current information to make an educated decision on everything we do. We go to amazon to read reviews, we sort, we scrutinize them, all of this to gather knowledge. But sometimes we are just too lazy to gather new info, we just rather based our info and draw conclusions from info dated and putrefied - Journalism now a days (if you can even call that) its a mere copy and paste and attention catching - if the best of them "car and driver" loves to use ambiguous article titles to draw peoples attention on what they want to see

For example: "New Alfa Romeo Engine Leaks: Will We See a 350-HP Giulia Veloce?" http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-alf...-giulia-veloce

On the other hand read Giulia reviews on edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/alfa-romeo/g...ing=CONFIDENCE

if you have time read the reviews of the bmw 340: https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series...ing=CONFIDENCE

this brief post to put into perspective, I could have added audi and mercedes as well - but its the same story if not worse.

Problem is problems with Alfa Romeo draw more attention and more clicks - problems with other brands don't - they have lie and write about something, but you as a consumer just spend more time in finding out the true story and take into consideration paid articles from the big guys - its all politics.

im done.

1972 Gt Veloce 2000
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:42 PM

If we are going to discuss stereotypes I can say that in 1980 I bought a used 1972 Alfa Romeo Spider that had 50,000 miles on it. I still have that car and it has never been a problem. Prior to that we owned two Fiat 124’s that also were good cars. In fact, through the years the worst two cars I have owned were a 1971 Toyota Corona and a 1981 Honda Accord. Either I have weird vehicular karma or reliability claims are mostly a myth.

But all of my cars were used and I never was involved with either dealerships or warranties. I think that has at least something to do with the issues.
howndog likes this.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350

Last edited by kcabpilot; 12-05-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:36 PM

I have a 1978 Alfetta Sports Sedan with 115k miles that I wouldn't hesitate to drive anywhere.

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

We put over 180k miles on our 78 sedan with no problems. The 91S, used as a DD, has 188k miles on it, and it just keeps running.

I say, if one can afford a new Giulia QV, then one can afford to keep it running, esp since it comes with a warranty. Goes with the territory I would think. Sounds like it might not be the car for him if he needs such assurances. Just a thought.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 12-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I feel better now thanks lol.... I have never owned an Alfa, I have always loved the Ferraris and Alfas but never had the opportunity to have one. Gone through Vetts, Jaguars, my current AMG, and even a Fiat 124 that I made into a race car... They have all had problems like anything else, what made me second guess the QV was all the hype about the reliability from articles I read. Didn't really matter after I drove one at my local dealer, I fell in love with it and look forward to the drive. I have found a local Alfa club too... hope to see you all out there
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
I have one currently being built for delivery in Jan, BUT I am scared. First, everywhere you look, they talk about the reliability problems with Alfa. Then I go to look at the lease possibilities and I see that the banks have very little faith in the car because the lease is terrible. My Italian wife says to me,"Even Italians know not to buy an Alfa." Everything is screaming don't do it.... problem is that I drove one for 5 minutes and that' that. Tell me that they have worked out the gremlins for 2018, tell me it's not going to leave me on the side of the road. Tell me that this leap of faith will pay off, and it won't be worth 20k in 2 years!
Our QV has been flawless and most of the Giulia owners I talk to have similar positive real-world experiences. There was a period where a lot of the early cars had software issues but that seems to be mostly sorted out by now with software updates and other dealer fixes. We never experienced these glitches but had the software updated anyway.

Honestly you have a lot to be excited about with the QV and I would not let the unreliability myth put you off.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

750-ALFA
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Don't know what to tell you, I've owned 3 FIATs, 1 Ferrari, 2 Alfas (a partridge in a pear tree...but I digress) and I now own a Giulia Ti Q4 with 7000 miles of perfection. I've had none of the crap people talk about with these cars except the Ferrari until I found the mechanic who knew what the hell he was doing with these cars and it too was perfect after that until I sold it to buy the Giulia. If you love the brand buy the car. If I could afford it I would have a new Giulia QV in a heartbeat, it beats the hell out of everything in and many cars out of its class. Don't get me wrong I love the Ti, it too beats the crap out of the competition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode