New Giulia QV ordered, make me feel good - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

I understand your concern, I had the same worries due to some of the posts I've read but to date mine has been 100% reliable (2-17 build date, Q with 5,000 miles). I've had all of the software updates also. That worrying has totally gone away now, petty as it was to begin with.

I think you'll find , like I did, that the Q will be one of the funnest cars you've ever owned. The car is a beast and for all the right reasons. It's the only car that I absolutely look forward to driving every single minute.

Congratulations on your purchase, you will not be disappointed!!! Just sit back and count the days until it arrives, it'll seem like an eternity.

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'61 Giulietta Spider- Street
'61 Giulietta Spider- Race
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatzamattayou View Post
I have one currently being built for delivery in Jan, BUT I am scared. First, everywhere you look, they talk about the reliability problems with Alfa. Then I go to look at the lease possibilities and I see that the banks have very little faith in the car because the lease is terrible. My Italian wife says to me,"Even Italians know not to buy an Alfa." Everything is screaming don't do it.... problem is that I drove one for 5 minutes and that' that. Tell me that they have worked out the gremlins for 2018, tell me it's not going to leave me on the side of the road. Tell me that this leap of faith will pay off, and it won't be worth 20k in 2 years!
They are not like they use to be. Probably way way more reliable than Audi by a long shot or BMW or Merc. I personally would never buy an Audi again! Italians buy alfa's I know a lot of them. I am one of them. Qv will hold it's value, even the last ones imported (1995) here are holding well. If in good shape these are still going easily for $10-18K and they are 22 years old. The Qv in 2 years will not be worth 20K. If so, great I will pick one up then but they won't. I'd say if you drove it sold it in 2 years it would be worth $50-55K. depending on mileage.

They built that car from the ground up. I would not worry one bit! I hear this all the time and it is not true anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 12-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

And yet, the last time we were in Italy, we remarked that we were sure seeing a lot of Audis with Italian plates. From the north I would suspect.

Early Audis were pretty bad for reliability. I knew a guy who couldn't decide between an Audi 100(?) and an Alfa Berlina. He opted for the Audi, saying that the Alfa would be in the shop forever he had been told, while another friend bought a Berlina. The Audi did end up being worked on all the time, while my friend with the Berlina put at least 260k miles on it with no problems.

Actually, lol, the friend who had owned the Berlina did finally buy an Audi A4 Quattro stickshift, which has been pretty darn reliable for at least 200k miles now. At least that one seems to have stayed together. He now is in line to buy a newer car, would maybe return to Alfa (he had several in the past), but he wants a stickshift, so he is clearly out of luck (so far).

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Man, I am supper excited now! I was hoping to hear all this, thanks everyone.... I was told 6 weeks today, now i just need to unload my Merc CLS63AMG for 27k, any takers lol?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM

I totally get your concern - had thought about an Alfa QV as well. Waiting for the stick if it ever happens. I think everyone's "mileage may vary".

I had the same experience/concern about 15 years ago when I bought my first Lotus. You know Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.
But the modern Lotuses, while they have their quirks, and we joke about it, are pretty decent and reliable.

I'm assuming that with today's construction techniques, the Alfas are getting better and better.

Maybe not like a Merc but maybe more personality too? My wife has a C63, I personally think its a nice fast car but I don't drive it like that as it doesn't really "beg" to be driven hard. I haven't driven the new Guilia Ti or QV yet but I'm guessing they are way more fun to drive. I just saw a review of the QV on the "Grand Tour" from last season and Jeremy Clarkson, ever the picky one, absolutely loved it!
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:09 AM

My 2006 Mercedes is a POS. I've owned a VW Passat, 2 Audi A4's, a Mazda, Fiat STilo, 2 Alfas, Ford and Mercury Oldsmobile...

The Mercedes and 1 of the Audis were the WORST. All boils down to the fact that sometimes all manufacturers build great cars and crappy ones. Alfa is no better no worse than any of the major brands.
Antonio105 likes this.

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode